Personal current news, baby birds emergency!

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 4:31 pm

Apparently there is a little hole in my chimney screen and some little gray birds, palm sized had four babies in my chimney. There is a little hole right by the nest they made and had their chicks. Both parent birds fell in the hole remaining stuck for almost 2 weeks?? I was scared to open the fire place, I had like almost a week before, I didn't know it was stuck, I'm not sure how long they were stuck or if one got stuck then the other latter got stuck. When I opened it I grabbed the bird gently, it seemed very weak. It flew away from me of course, it hit the wall but not hard, it slowed down before hitting the wall, what's alarming is it was so weak it just laid on the carpet with its wings spread looking at me, I opened the door and gave it a little toss, it had enough energy to fly to the nearest tree. Then I discovered the other one, it acted just ad week as the first one, like they didn't even have the energy to stand, it got away from me and acted the same as the first, it hit a wall lightly then just laid on the floor, wings spread, not even standing on its feet. I threw it out the door and it flew to the same tree. I had to get the birds out of the chimney. A placed them very close by in a shed, on top of a stool in a make shift, solid nest with paper towel lining it and the original nest which was really just half of a nest with no bottom. I had heard the chicks for about 4 days to a week, maybe just 4 days? That was 2 days ago, they barely have feathers, mostly just skin with slicked down looking feathers, a ton of skin showing and their eyes haven't opened. I tried to look up information, they appear to be extremely weak, but they do chirp a lot, sometimes, when I come out the door. I have no trees in my yard. The nest I made is 4 feet off the ground. I don't know if the parents are comming back to feed them, they were in bad shape when I figured out they were stuck. One of them died yesterday, 1 out of 4. By everything I read, they should have their eyes open but they don't. They should be, at the least, 6 days old. They manage to move around but when I check on them they look lifeless, just laying there all spread out, they aren't huddling together. They are peeing and pooping, but anytime I check on them they just look like they have no energy. They can lift their head and chirp sometimes, that's about all I see them do. I try to not go out that door much, but I have to let the dogs out of that door, and there is no shade or she'd in the front yard so they would likely bake in the sun and die, plus it would be fat from their original location. I haven't seen the parent birds return once in 2 days, but I don't sit there and watch the thing. I looked up information, anything I could find said they can't survive more than 24 hours without the parents feeding them. It's been 48 hours or a little longer. They just look so weak, but I don't know if that is normal. From what I read they should have more energy than laying there looking lifeless, at the same time, by what I read, if the parents aren't comming back they shouldn't be alive. Does anyone have any advice?? I don't know what to do.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 4:48 pm

They are Chimney Swifts. If the nest was destroyed and the nestlings removed from the chimney, the parents won't be able to find them again. That brood is lost. Just leave the chimney alone and they may build another nest and try a second brood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimney_swift

There Are Four Lights!

Crimadella
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 5:09 pm

Darmok wrote:
They are Chimney Swifts. If the nest was destroyed and the nestlings removed from the chimney, the parents won't be able to find them again. That brood is lost. Just leave the chimney alone and they may build another nest and try a second brood.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimney_swift

Well that sucks! The info I had read said as long as they are close to the organ all spot they would be able to hear the calls of their young. They are 5 feet away from the original location. From the Wikipedia page though, that does appear to be the kind of birds they are. The nest looked identical other than it was on a shelf so it had no base. I put the original nest in with them. I wonder how they are still alive? If parents aren't returning they have been 48 hours without food. I just let dogs out and they are still chirping good.