Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 9:38 pm

I wish people would stop suggesting group therapy to me. I told a case worker I had at the time that I was depressed because I couldn't get my driver's license. I failed my first attempt and in Ohio, you have to take a class to be able to take it again if you fail on the fist try and are over 18. I couldn't afford to take it and my mother would not help. The case worker suggested group therapy. Uh? How is that supposed to help me be able to afford the class?

I moved after an arson in my apartment building and got a new caseworker who at the time said she would help me with the process of getting into the class and getting it set up and even talked to my mother. But I truly would like to know what the other case-manger was thinking when she suggested a group therapy situation.

Dan82
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Jun 2019, 10:33 pm

The only thing I can think of is that she was saying she couldn't help you and maybe someone from the group therapy could.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2019, 11:21 pm

I've also had people at my mental health office suggest group therapy to me.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 1:43 am

Group therapy never helped. I had no idea when it was my turn to speak and got yelled at for speaking out of turn or for talking too much. Other people did not have my same problems and I couldn't relate to them.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 1:58 am

Actually, it sounds like a generic answer given by a therapist who really has no idea what to do.

(Feeling sick? Try group therapy? Out of work? Try group therapy. Computer problems? Try group therapy. Etc.)

There Are Four Lights!

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 9:14 am

I agree. In your case, that sounds like a dumb suggestion. I would tell them, "I don't need you. I need a driver's license and a way to raise the funds for it." I wish I had told the stupid school counselors that when I was younger.

Ollywog
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

26 Jun 2019, 9:48 am

Group therapy helps some people tolerate their situation better, even if it can't help them fix it. Your case worker probably suggested it out of habit without considering the reasons that it would not be a good fit for you, in particular.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 9:51 am

Some people have trouble understanding that some people are different. Group therapy helps some but I doubt it helps most Aspies.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 12:23 pm

I just think it's the new fad now. Too many people(social worker or not) says go to therapy for your problems.
Translation: "I don't know what to do about your situation." or "Stop bothering me and go talk to someone else!"

I hate it when people suggest therapy for things that are physical not mental(even then therapy tends not work that well for mental either).

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 4:55 pm

Group therapy sounds like a way to trade misery stories. I don't need it.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 11:22 pm

My guess would be that the suggestion was for the fact you were feeling depressed. They may have been thinking being in a group may have offered some support for you predicament. Maybe others had a similar experience or situation, might've been able to offer an idea.

But no that doesn't really doesn't address how to get the cash for the class