Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 3:54 am

There Are Four Lights!

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 6:06 am

I've not only heard of it and read about it, but I'm suspicious that at least one person who is on WP regularly might have it.

When I read a post made by someone who claims to have all kinds of deadly diseases, including full-blown AIDS and advanced terminal cancer and Ebola or whatever, I want to reply, "Wow, I'm really amazed that you're able to post and be so descriptive of your tragic condition because anyone who is as sick as you should by all reason should be barely able to even move... but who said anything about you being reasonable?" :twisted:

I read that people with Munchausen Syndrome may also fake having mental illness as well. You'd think they wouldn't because of all the stigma.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 6:07 am

lostonearth35 wrote:
I've not only heard of it and read about it, but I'm suspicious that at least one person who is on WP regularly might have it.

When I read a post made by someone who claims to have all kinds of deadly diseases, including full-blown AIDS and advanced terminal cancer and Ebola or whatever, I want to reply, "Wow, I'm really amazed that you're able to post and be so descriptive of your tragic condition because anyone who is as sick as you should by all reason should be barely able to even move... but who said anything about you being reasonable?" :twisted:

I read that people with Munchausen Syndrome may also fake having mental illness as well. You'd think they wouldn't because of all the stigma.

You can't fake my kind of craziness. :P

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jun 2019, 9:37 am

I seen at least a few stories on the Investigation Discovery channel of people who had Munchausen, Munchausen By Proxy & some cases where the person witch Munchausen was using the net. I noticed that all the people who had Munchausen in those cases were women so I'm wondering if the disorder is more common with women than men.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2019, 10:13 am

nick007 wrote:
I noticed that all the people who had Munchausen in those cases were women so I'm wondering if the disorder is more common with women than men.

I've seen conflicting evidence , I don't know what to believe as there appears to be no reliable statistics.

Quote:
There appear to be 2 separate groups of people affected by Munchausen's syndrome. They are:

women who are 20 to 40 years of age, often with a background in healthcare

unmarried white men who are 30 to 50 years of age

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 2:17 am

"Dave On Wheels" was an interesting case. Apparently this person faked being a deaf paraplegic to inspire others. His little blog hoax managed to go viral to the point where at least one celebrity got sucked into it. Then he panicked and took things to the next level.

Enjoy:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/m.huffpost ... 968454/amp

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 5:09 am

^ That story and Kristi-Anne's blog was a good read.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 6:19 am

Uhmm. Could I habe fringes of it? I mean... Well. I don't fake things. But rather I highlight smaller things to bring them to the fore to understand them better, especially when I didn't previously know the odd more minor thing was a condition (For example, one person may have big issues when for me it maybe minor but it still happens, and I can identify with the person who has major issues because I have some experience of it... But to issues I don't get or have not experienced, I go quiet as I can't relate to them... For example, if someone is giving up smoking I can't put myself in their shoes as I have never smoked so don't know how it feels to give up... Ooh. A thought. Is this the difference between empathy and sympathy? I know I get sympathy... And I get empathy if I have experienced the situation myself.. But if I habe not I am taking complete guesses and it is difficult to empathise..It would be sympathise? Uhmm. Is still puzzling me the differences between those two concepts! Haha!)

How do I know if I am sympayising because I have had the same symptoms and that I am not being a Munchausenicist? (I may have invented a new form of rhe origional word there! :D ).

Well. I know the partial shutdowns I was describing as energy loss to be real and they happen and they are a big issue for me at times. My Mum has said "Don't think about it... It is all in your mind.. Push through... Pretent it has not happened... Don't give into it!" and things like that and I habe to say that in all these years of having it, those suggestions don't only not work, but they make it worse, and when she says things like that I go much deeprr into it and get irritable and will tell her to stop speaking etc... As just by being anoyed she does not understand pulls me straight into the partial shutdown and it takes much longer to recover... I know she is trying to help, but it is the wrong way to help. It is only recently she has started to realize this... Though she still says things like "When I first had you (Or one of my brothers) I had to push through and ignore any weaknesses I had... "
However, I know this is very different. It is like a solar powered battery charger. If you keep trying to use the power from the batteries pretending they don't need a charge, they are going to need much ore of a charge. The best thing is to leave them alone to re-charge for a bit. Just make sure the charger is in an enviroment which ensures it can get the energy it needs to recharge...

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 6:30 am

No, thinking of it... I don't have the Munch thing.. And here is why. I tell the truth of what I get... It says that those who have the Munch disease (Haha. I am calling it that to remember what it is!) invent things to get sympathy... I can sympathise with them but I don't make anything up. For me that would be a false world and I would hate to be in a false world as I am always trying to break out to live in the real world if that makes sense?

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 7:22 am

I've experienced this one first hand. I used to go on a forum for Crohn's disease quite a lot. We had one troll who did this... came on as a very sick young woman who eventually died. Then he/she came on again as another young woman who started off on the "death path"... but the whole thing was discovered before he/she got to the death bit. It was really bad as some very genuine people on the site got very involved with this troll, even communicating with the dead person's "family". Some of these people were so disillusioned they left the forum... and it genuinely took a few months before some sort of normality was restored.

I can't even begin to imagine why these people do this.

... and no, Mountain Goat, you're not one.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Jun 2019, 8:04 am

Is this a Munchausen thing :?: If your in a romantic realtionship & you spend alot of time worrying about your partner because they do things that give you good reason to worry. You want them to worry about you for a change so they know what it feels like so maybe they'd be more considerate of your worrying/concerns. You then exaggerate or make up something bad that's going on with you that last just for a bit :?

I also just thought that lots of catfishes make up illness & other bad things going on. Sometimes it's just an excuse as to why they cant meet people offline but other times they want the person to feel bad & worry to manipulate or exploit them. Would that be Munchausen :?:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 8:04 am

Trueno wrote:
... and no, Mountain Goat, you're not one.

Phew! I am glad you said that. Since I have joined this forum and suddenly realized how many eye opening traits I share (Mostly of a very minor nature) which have been a shock to me... Also I have been exploring and asking things to see if there is anything else I may discover.
I have actually been enjoying discovering how I think as it is a concept that I just had not thought about before, and when I latch onto something... Well, you know me.. I just have to explore it! And I have been amazed and overwealmed by the responses you all have. You are all so tallented! So a BIG thank you to all. :)

What's a catfish other then the ones which may go in the sea?

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 9:46 am

One thing to remember about Munchausen is that it is different from people faking illness to miss a day of work or school which is not related to Munchausen.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 10:15 am

^ Maybe Ferris Bueller had Munchausen :twisted: