Philosophy at 6.2%
Construction Services at 6.1%

The college majors with the lowest unemployment rates are:
Theology at 1.0%
Medical Technician at 1.0%
Early Childhood Education at 1.7%
General Education at 1.7%
Public Policy and Law at 1.7%

Source: These are the college majors with the highest and lowest unemployment rates

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2019, 6:21 pm

yes but jobs in early childhood education pay a different amount than medical technician

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 8:43 am

Not only is a medical technician practically guaranteed a job here but the program is heaven for Aspies. A few times I volunteered to donate blood at my local college and was amazed to find I was *gasp* actually popular and well liked. What was even nicer (during my single days) was that the program was 80-85% female too. Since it is such a difficult program it also tends to attract the most mature students too.

My major (Economics) is considered a good one but 15 years later I can only conclude it is as valuable as toilet paper. How I wish I knew medical technicians were so well paid and employed.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 11:22 pm

jimmy m wrote:
. .
Philosophy at 6.2% . .
But we know a whole bunch of people who get a bachelor’s in philosophy or even a PhD are not working day job in the field, right?

And if you’re interested in a field like phil., or anthropology, or art history, more power to you :D , and I hope your only issues are how to graciously turn down speaking invites, when to accept offers at more prestigious universities, etc.

But just keep in mind that their are timing factors, baseline factors, etc. Be kind and matter-of-fact encouraging to those who are currently at lower career trajectory.

And more to life than just job and formal career.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 2:30 pm

Here’s a U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics page which gives the average U-6 unemployment rate for the year from April 2018 to March 2019.

https://www.bls.gov/lau/stalt.htm

This U-6 unemployment rate includes discouraged workers and, even more importantly, people working part-time who are seeking full-time.

Texas: 7.3%

Louisiana: 9.5%

(I live in Texas and Louisiana is a neighbor.)