Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 7:02 am

Hi:
I have a neighbor who lives in my complex who has been obsessed with trying to hook up with me for years but I am not and have never been interested in him. He has been repeatedly been harassing and stalking me. I have a police report and everything and want to know if how I go about getting a restraining order against him is that I have enough evidence.

Has anyone else had to take out a restraining order?

Joao
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2019, 11:13 am

I would suggest consulting a lawyer. Any advice anyone gives you could be not applicable in your case or jurisdiction, so better get some local help from someone familiar with your local laws.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 6:56 pm

Yes.

Police and Lawyer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 7:05 pm

You also want to demonstrate that there is a pattern of this behavior. If you get a few police reports with the guy doing similar stalking actions, then you might have a better chance of getting a restraining order.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Jun 2019, 9:02 pm

Where I'm at in the US(I don't know if it's like this in other places but maybe) the police can issue a temporary restraining order if they think the perp is a threat. They will also give you a court date & the temp restraining order will be in effect till after that day. You have to show up to court on that day unless you reschedule & then a new temp restraining order will be issued or the date that the current one expires will be changed. The perp doesn't have to show up & if he/she doesn't, the court will likely rule in your favor if there seems to be a good reason for the restraining order. Either or both of you can have a lawyer present but it is not required. I'm not sure how you go about finding a lawyer but there might be some legal aid services or there might be a group/organization that deals with domestic abuse &/or sexual assault cases that might could help or guide you to someone who can.
I know a little about how this works because I know a woman here(NOT my girlfriend) who filed restraining orders against at least a couple guys at different times. She has a history of putting herself in situations where she gets used/taken advantage of sexually(might be almost like rape or sexual assault). I went to court with her 1ce too because she really wanted some emotional support to be there & there wasn't anyone else available who would go.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 5:39 am

Next time he harasses you record the conversation on your phone. That would help legally. Don't threaten him or tell him that you are taking legal action, be polite and brief. Good luck .

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 7:41 am

nick007 wrote:
Where I'm at in the US(I don't know if it's like this in other places but maybe) the police can issue a temporary restraining order if they think the perp is a threat. They will also give you a court date & the temp restraining order will be in effect till after that day. You have to show up to court on that day unless you reschedule & then a new temp restraining order will be issued or the date that the current one expires will be changed. The perp doesn't have to show up & if he/she doesn't, the court will likely rule in your favor if there seems to be a good reason for the restraining order. Either or both of you can have a lawyer present but it is not required. I'm not sure how you go about finding a lawyer but there might be some legal aid services or there might be a group/organization that deals with domestic abuse &/or sexual assault cases that might could help or guide you to someone who can.
I know a little about how this works because I know a woman here(NOT my girlfriend) who filed restraining orders against at least a couple guys at different times. She has a history of putting herself in situations where she gets used/taken advantage of sexually(might be almost like rape or sexual assault). I went to court with her 1ce too because she really wanted some emotional support to be there & there wasn't anyone else available who would go.

I have met some creepy men but I don't let things get out of control. As for this neighbor, I have done what I can to avoid him and his behavior works like this,

1. He gets confronted and leaves me alone for several months
2. After that several month period he tries what he can to pursue me
A.Parking his car behind my building so he can walk around my building to his own
B. He tries to offer me rides, talk to me any chance he gets

The police and the neighbors have talked to him enough times and I have given him plenty of hints and told him I am not interested but he doesn't listen.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2019, 12:28 am

Summer_Twilight wrote:
The police and the neighbors have talked to him enough times and I have given him plenty of hints and told him I am not interested but he doesn't listen.

So I take it that your local police are already familiar with the situation? If so, that should be an advantage for you in seeking a restraining order.

Good luck with this!

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2019, 12:00 am

Pictures would help. Am going to wish you the best.....it was a scarey process for me..
And the neighbors lawyer talked me out of it in court . That lasted 2 weeks , then neighbot got better at it.. not am facing same situation all over again

where ever you go ,there you are

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2019, 10:48 am

Jakki wrote:
Pictures would help. Am going to wish you the best.....it was a scarey process for me..
And the neighbors lawyer talked me out of it in court . That lasted 2 weeks , then neighbot got better at it.. not am facing same situation all over again

Crap this situation is worse . The person behind it now has just gotten more subtle and increased number of people harassing, had witnessed a homicide in her backyard , i guess , i was not suppose to see it. This is a much older , very agile manipulative woman with about 15 criminal legal advisors , whom tell her how to go about what she is doing , and help her . Her ex-con adopted stepson , brought all his buddies over there to camp out . So it got real bad . Had to call police alot. But that was her plan.. So after enough constant low level harassment , and calling police , they now consider , me as the problem.

The police now have resultantly used their own trickery on me. Prolly based on their association with the church she uses/manipulates. Serious . Violations of civil rights ,
Have seen criminals use these patterns before , so , i get alot of abuse , i do not call on now. Went to get ex-parte 2nd time , after , her lawyer tricking me first time. Telling me , if i dropped it , they would stop . Now the ex-con son is in hiding and all his friends are left behind here..
And it us just as bad .
This house where older lady lives has very very long history of criminal activity.
And the woman has gaslighted the police , claiming religion... and no knowledge of internet . SHe tells police this gang of people are just homeless she cares for ...OMG how can police be soooo dumb. So now 2 nd ex parte attempt , and judge is mad at me , for bothering him again. And demanded i get a lawyer . Did not need one before . Evidence was overwelming.
But this woman has not personally beatin me, but had her dog attack me 2 X in my own yard. While she looked on . While i was tending the yard .
And not living under same roof. So judge thinks am safe from her. 5 lawyers turned me down last time. So why am i making myself sick, worrying about court again.
She makes meals for this gang , cause it gives her a chance to tell them how to know if , i am home or not . Caught her looking up my driveway to see if my late husbands car was there . 4 days ago , cause , i hid it in back , so she would not know,if i am home. If she is not sure , she sends ex-cons friends through other nearby yards to see if the car is there . How does one person, do all this?
And this is my husbands childhood home . Cannot bare to leave . So confused

where ever you go ,there you are