Netherlands law limits children’s access to autism services

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 8:44 am

Quote:
About four years ago in Groningen, a city in the north of the Netherlands, a teenager with autism and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder began acting out at school. The boy’s family appealed to the local government to get him a psychological assessment. But the officials told the family that rather than “medicalizing” his problems, they should turn to their social network, specifically a neighbor who “seems like a lovely lady,” for support.

Three months later, says clinical psychologist Inge van Balkom, who narrated this incident, the boy’s behavior problems had worsened significantly.

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/nethe ... -services/

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 8:47 pm

Quote:
The law, which went into effect in January 2015, put the budget for ‘youth care,’ which includes mental health and autism services, at the discretion of local governments. Because some local governments are less well organized and funded than others, they have chosen to significantly shrink the mental health services they offer children, putting these children’s health and safety at risk.

“Children [in the Netherlands] no longer have a right to mental health care,” says van Balkom, medical director of youth mental health and autism at Lentis Psychiatric Institute in Groningen. “I always thought this was a civilized country, but I do have doubts now.”

The lady may be lovely but she is not qualified to diagnose or treat ASD's. Going back to 19th century styled "social networks" is going to make things worse in most cases.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 9:56 pm

that poor boy's being allowed to suffer and worsen rather than getting any effective treatment. this may not end well at all. sounds like the american virus has finally infected the netherlands.