Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

zeitgeistbuster
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jun 2019, 11:43 am

Hi,

I'm not exactly new here, as I have lurked on and off for many years. I don't think I ever made an introduction post though.

I am 38, and I am undiagnosed, though I have at times thought I might be on the spectrum or in some other way not NT. I think mostly, I am looking for comfort and sometimes I find that in reading posts here. I mostly find that during times of high stress, I get a lot of brain overload, and I don’t know what to do with it. I’ve been very stressed lately, so I’ve found myself coming here more often to read and occasionally comment.

Another thing that has troubled me for almost my whole life is that I don’t feel understood. This was a real problem when I was young. I just felt like no one in my family understood me, and they would mostly be kind of condescending because they didn’t know how to handle me. I would get really mad or frustrated.

I’ve always loved fictional characters who were very irritable. From a very young age, I loved Garfield the cat. I collected all of his books from 1 to 18 before I stopped. I would try read them all on his birthday (6/19). I loved that Garfield didn’t really like anyone, and that was okay with him. He was cynical and kind of mean, but that was okay.

My current Avatar is Peridot from Steven Universe, whom I like for very much the same reasons. I especially love her in her early episodes when she would call everyone a Clod, and insist that she was smarter than everyone. I just find her so funny and it’s a relief to see someone struggle with some of the same feelings I have.

Even though I am 38 and have lived an adult life for a long time, I really need these “ children’s “ characters sometimes to feel okay.

Okay, wow, I feel like I’m typing a lot and could say so much more now that I’ve started. I’m going to stop now because sometimes posts that are too long can be uninteresting.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2019, 12:47 pm

It's great to meet you, Zeitgeist!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2019, 1:34 am

zeitgeistbuster wrote:
Another thing that has troubled me for almost my whole life is that I don’t feel understood

I think most of us probably feel that way. Welcome to WP.