Update LinuxMint 18x to 19 -OR- a CLEAN install of L.M. 19?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2019, 11:16 pm

Update LinuxMint from 18x to 19x vs. performing a CLEAN install of LinuxMint 19x/19.1.

What are the pros/cons of each approach?

It can be done this way...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxiPv2WJwhw

-or-

One can do a clean install of the current LinuxMint 19x/19.1 LTS.

I would like to understand the relative merit of each option.

Thanks in advance for any insight you may share.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 5:41 pm

I don't really have anything like enough experience or expertise in this area, but here goes anyway.

I've been really impressed with the latest Linux Mint, but the only thing I'm not too keen on is the 'all or nothing' approach to updates. You used to be able to restrict yourself to the 'safe' level 1, 2 and 3 updates, while screening out the more risky level 4 & 5, but under Mint 19 you have to take the lot. If you can keep the older updating system when migrating from Mint 18, I'd be inclined to opt for that, but you probably can't.

I'd imagine the best argument for making a fresh start is its simplicity, and the elimination of the risk of anything going awry in the transition. My only experience of such a transition was from MX Linux 17 to MX 18 and that went fine, and both Mint and MX are Debian-based, but that wouldn't guarantee anything. I think I've read quite a few cases of problems with major upgrades of Linux distros, though don't have any details to hand.

In your situation, I'd probably back up my Mint 18 files to an external hdd and give the upgrade a go, if I were comfortable with Mint 19's update system, then have the option of a fresh install if it went wrong. Talk about sitting on the fence, eh?

EDIT: After taking a look at the Joe Collins video and noting that the upgrade requires extensive use of the terminal, I definitely wouldn't be interested. True, that's mainly because my CLI skills are not up to the job, but really couldn't Lefebvre and his team do any better than this? It's ironic, in view of the fact that Mint is famed for being a distro which doesn't require much, or any, use of the terminal. Going back to the MX experience, the distro automatically upgraded without requiring any action at all on my part. If they can do it....

Maybe that's why MX has taken over from Mint at the top of the Distrowatch chart over the past year or so.