Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 9:49 pm

Luhluhluh wrote:
QFT wrote:
The common wisdom says that pasta is fattening. But when I look at the pasta package, its only 190 calories, and I could cook it to eat like three plates. So this would suggest one can lose weight with pasta, at least calorie-wise. So why do people say the opposite? Is it because it is bad calories?

But I remember when I went to nutritionist three years ago, she told me it doesn't matter if it is good or bad calories. What matters is total number of calories, and the only reason I should worry about "what" I eat is that I want to feel full so that once I reach my calorie limit I am not tempted to eat more calories. Well, if I take her logic, then pasta is quite feeling. So eating 190 calories and feeling full -- by eating that pasta package -- seems like an ideal.

Well, I went to her three years ago and I noticed this thing about pasta packages only a month ago, so I didn't have a chance to ask her that question. What do you people think about this one?

It lists the calorie content of one SERVING of pasta.

Like for example, I have a box of Barilla mostaccioli in my cabinet. On the side of the box, it says "Nutrition Facts" and says that a serving size is 2 ounces (or 56 grams) of pasta = 200 calories.

Furthermore, it says that there are 8 servings per container.

That means if you eat the entire box of pasta, you have consumed 1,600 calories.

In my case it was 210 calories per serving and 3.5 servings per container, so it was more than twice less than what you had. In my case I could eat "just" that for the whole day and not be hungry. So in your case, since your thing is twice larger, you might be able to eat half of it within the whole day -- thus get only 800 calories a day. Thus, both of us would end up losing a lot of weight -- at least calorie-wise -- unless, of course, some calories are more fattening than others.

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 Aug 2019, 7:55 pm

QFT wrote:
KikiKitty678 wrote:
Many people would not consider 190 calories of pasta a decent portion, that’s why. If you do, that’s awesome, enjoy your pasta! But I don’t think most people would lol.

Well, like I said, they were like three plates or so in terms of a volume -- and I am not talking about small plates, I am talking about good sized plates. I mean, to put it another way, it was probably like half a pot, and I am talking about a really large pot. So if most people eat one plate per meal, and they eat three times a day, then yes, it would be enough for them for the day.

So how is it not enough? Are you saying most people eat more than one plate of pasta even if its a large plate? Or are you saying that when they are filled with one plate, its a different "kind" of pasta that doesn't expand as much -- so with the kind of pasta I buy they would eat more? Or what are you saying?

I doubt three big plates of pasta would be 190 calories. Maybe you need to check the number of servings per container?

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2019, 3:55 pm

I get confused when they say that pasta is fattening, because in most diet books I've ever read it often offers pasta-based meals. And I'm talking about pasta itself, not what you have with it.