Grandma Does Not Want Me On This Website and Other Claims

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2019, 6:34 pm

My grandmother found out I go to this website and has said that I don't have autism. My father also does not want me on this website. I have tried telling her several times I have autism, and not only autism but also adhd, psychosis, and depression. I don't know why that's on her mind when I'm talking to her. I go to this website to find friends to confide in and talk to. I am here to find someone I can relate to as well. I was suggested this website from another forum when I told them I was struggling with autism and need someone to talk to about it. I don't know what it is. I get that I sound and look normal to her, but autistics can look and sound normal. I hope I'm not masking. Another thing that started this was that I started asking her what her opinion was on the posts and comments I write on this website so that I at least sound like I'm a nice person and not a jerk, and that was because I was afraid of being banned from this website.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 6:40 pm

If you are an adult, whay does it matter to you what anyone thinks about what websites you visit? Autistic or not, its not really anyone's business what another adult does.

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2019, 6:42 pm

DanielW wrote:
If you are an adult, whay does it matter to you what anyone thinks about what websites you visit? Autistic or not, its not really anyone's business what another adult does.

I don't know how to answer that question.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 6:46 pm

DanielW wrote:

Maybe his grandmother and father are controlling of him like my mom is of me? Maybe he still lives at home too?

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 6:47 pm

It was the first thought that came to my mind. Well, that and you don't have to be diagnosed to get support here.

Btw, I think if you were making, you'd probably know it.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 6:49 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
DanielW wrote:

Maybe his grandmother and father are controlling of him like my mom is of me? Maybe he still lives at home too?

It's certainly possible, but simply living at home doesn't negate a person's rights.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 6:50 pm

You don't have to have autism to be on WrongPlanet.

Zack1994
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2019, 7:02 pm

I do have it though. I don't get why anybody thinks I don't. I have spaz attacks when no one is around.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 7:31 pm

Well, whatever your issues with family are and whatever conditions you have been diagnosed with, I hope you are finding what you need here and on other sites you visit.

I wouldn't worry too much about what anyone else thinks about you coming here for support. If you know they don't react positively, or supportively though, I wouldn't discuss these types of issues with them.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 7:54 pm

Zack1994 wrote:
My grandmother found out I go to this website and has said that I don't have autism. My father also does not want me on this website...
Zack1994
Deinonychus

Unless they have control over your thoughts and actions (are they such control freaks?), there is no reason for you to conform to what they want.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 7:54 pm

Well you are welcome to keep posting here, even if they don't like it.

You don't necessarily have to tell them you're still coming to the site, if they're going to bother you about it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 8:46 pm

Do they own the family desktop, and keep track of your browsing history?

If so you just hafta get a smartphone or android or whatever, and come here on your own portable device.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2019, 10:19 pm

Why can't you ignore them?

What punishment do they give you?

Library

Do they have software that blocks certain websites?

Your description sounds incomplete

Teach51
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 6:55 am

Zack1994 wrote:
I do have it though. I don't get why anybody thinks I don't. I have spaz attacks when no one is around.

Hi.What do you mean by "spaz attack?"

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 7:09 am

Meltdowns.

“Spaz” is an American insult that comes from “spastic.”

Because “ret*d” people are seen as being frequently spastic. And we all know about “ret*d.”

When one is spastic, one is either clumsy or stiff. It is not seen as something that can be helped.

It can also mean that somebody is having some sort of “fit.”

AndyBeans
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

28 Jun 2019, 7:39 am

I think this is pretty standard behaviour for family members, especially the older ones. They grew up in a time when mental health issues weren't properly understood and "mad" people were ostracised and segregated into "special schools" and institutions. ASD are unseen and hard to describe, so many NTs consider them imaginary, which means they can be toxic and destructive to the autist.

It's taken me a long time to convince my 72-year-old mum that my ASD is a) not psychopathy, b) won't get me institutionalised and c) can be treated so that I can lead a fairly normal life. I actually had to cut her off for a couple of months to stop her incessant "mother knows best" and "it's all in your head" tirades.

I'm not sure you're going to convince your grandma, so I'd just smile and nod and keep Wrong Planeting. If she doesn't understand your condition she cannot give you appropriate advice, period.