Kind of health conscious but kind of not—multiple attempts

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2019, 7:42 am

I have tried a million times to eat healthier. I have made a lot of progress. I used to have binge eating disorder, so even eating normally is a big victory. I tried to go vegetarian and just ended up eating less meat. I tried to go several days a week without any sweets and went back to eating sweets every day, but only something small like a few cookies—I used to be addicted to sweets. I used to come back from health kicks eating worse, but I’ve learned to be balanced enough that I now improve in the long run after cutting back, even if I eat a little more of whatever it was than when I was very serious about it.

I want to keep cutting back on sugar for health reasons and meat for environmental reasons, but not cut them out completely (yet). I have no health reasons to eat less meat, just environmental reasons.

I don’t need too much advice, just talking about it—I don’t do so great with advice. I want to figure it out on my own, but just talk about it, so encouragement would be awesome, but advice, not too much of it.

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 8:42 am

I go with a "mostly good" diet. I like sweets and carbs, so I'll have them in moderation. Or have them when I'm doing a lot of physical activity and need the extra calories to maintain my weight.

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jun 2019, 9:19 am

BTDT wrote:
I go with a "mostly good" diet. I like sweets and carbs, so I'll have them in moderation. Or have them when I'm doing a lot of physical activity and need the extra calories to maintain my weight.

Pretty much the only thing I really eat (okay, drink) in excess is caffeine. Only water except for a cup of coffee in the morning and that’s it, starting today.

I don’t eat badly, but I would like to eat even better, step by step.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

29 Jun 2019, 10:15 am

KikiKitty678 wrote:
BTDT wrote:

Pretty much the only thing I really eat (okay, drink) in excess is caffeine. Only water except for a cup of coffee in the morning and that’s it, starting today.

I don’t eat badly, but I would like to eat even better, step by step.
It sounds like your taking a great approach & have made a lot of progress. My diet is bad due to being a very picky eater, I love fast-food, junk-food, soda, & sweets. However I eat a lot more variety than when I was little. I was pretty skinny as a kid & in my 20s cuz I couldn't cook much & mom hated cooking special meals for me so I would usually just eat one big meal a day but I would sometimes snack abit too. I gained alot of weight since I moved in with my girlfriend 6 & a half years ago & my blood sugar & bad cholesterol are high thou my good cholesterol is pretty good or was last time I had blood work. I eat more variety than I did before I moved here but I started eating 3 meals a day partly cuz of meds & supplements I'm on. I also binge eat on snacks. I think my body/mind is used to me pigging out when I eat even thou I'm eating more meals than I used to. It may also be partly related to a med or two I'm on that I'm in the process of lowering & may quit after weaning myself for a while(I quit one last week & now I'm weaning myself off the other which will take a while). I think the best things I can do for my weight & health rite now that would work for me(besides trying to get off the couple meds which I'm doing) is to try & cut down on the snacking & start exercising more. I know trying to make major changes suddenly will NOT work for me because like you I will not be able to stick with em.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition