Former President Carter - Trump not a legitimate President

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2019, 10:54 pm

Jimmy Carter says a full investigation would show Trump lost in 2016

Quote:
Former President Jimmy Carter questioned the legitimacy of Donald Trump's presidency on Thursday, saying he would likely not be in the White House if the Russians did not interfere in the 2016 presidential election.

“I think a full investigation would show that Trump didn’t actually win the election in 2016. He lost the election, and he was put into office because the Russians interfered on his behalf,” the former president, who served between 1977 and 1981, said at a panel hosted by the Carter Center in Leesburg, Va.

Pressed by moderator and historian Jon Meacham on whether he believes Trump is an “illegitimate president,” Carter stared, and then said smiling, “Basically, what I said, I can’t retract.” Carter’s remark drew laughs from the audience and Meacham.

Carter has not been an especially vocal critic of the president, and has sometimes even praised Trump's policies, such as Trump’s decision not to take military action against Iran. The oldest living president and Trump also spoke over the phone in April after Carter wrote to the president about his trade negotiations with China.

And just hours after Carter’s comment, Trump again made light of Russia's meddling attempts. While meeting with Vladimir Putin at the G-20 summit in Japan, Trump turned to the Russian president and said jokingly, "Don't meddle in the election, president. Don't meddle in the election." Putin, after appearing to hear the translation, laughed while Trump grinned.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2019, 1:05 am

I doubt he knows what he's talking about as far as the technical end of things goes. No one far as I know has ever been able to prove the Russians won the election for Trump. It seems to just be an empty claim made by democrats, which I suppose Carter is parroting.

killerBunny
Raven
Raven

30 Jul 2020, 1:43 pm

He won by the rules set. Pretty legitimate.