Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

teksla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2019, 4:39 pm

I am starting university this fall. I will go to University with my service dog (SD) Latte.

What would your tips be for university - especially on being open about being autistic/telling classmates/telling professors.

In high school I as relatively secretive about it - disclosed only when it was relevant but otherwise stayed silent about it.

I am starting to get a bit nervous - even though my studies will start in 2 months!

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Jun 2019, 7:06 pm

I don't know about how to advise people that you are on the spectrum, but some other advice would be:

Stay on top of your executive functioning. When something needs to be done...do it now. Always now.

Since you are female I will urge you to exercise caution about guys who will try to manipulate you into having sex with them. Always have a partner watching over you if you ever end up going out to parties and gatherings.

It's ok if you prefer to avoid socializing :) Try to make some quality acquaintances though, keyword being "quality." If you can graduate with 1 or 2 actually good friends, you will have done well. Make sure any friends you do make are positive for you and not causing anxiety or trying to use you.

Don't overextend yourself and get burned out. Take a light or moderate amount of classes. If you feel like your schedule is a bit much, don't hesitate to drop classes during the grace period where it does not affect your GPA. Remember that towards the end of the semester, the work load from each class will be significantly more than it is in the first couple weeks.

Consider all services offered from your tuition, which might include mental health.

I just want to mention again to manage executive functioning. University will stress test your ability to manage several classes and other life situations simultaneously. I'd prioritize planning and time organization in a serious way.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2019, 7:04 pm

Get official diagnosis

Disclose to school

Get testing accommodation

Find out what services your school offers:. Counseling, medical, tutoring, bus, support group, club, computer lab, library, whatever

Make good use of the schools services

Keep a balanced schedule

Meditation

Medication

Relax

Breathe

Live in the moment

But keep perspective

Set a schedule

But be spontaneous sometimes

Laugh

But not out of control