Alt right and Antifa fight in Portland again

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 4:53 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
cyberdad wrote:
The basic principle that unites the various groups under the Antifa umbrella is that inaction against the brownshirts in Italy, Japan and Germany in the 1920s and 1930s gave rise to fascism which resulted in the deaths of more than 100 million people across Europe and Asia. The appeasement of Nazis and lack of action by the German people allowed the rise of Hilter and the holocaust of millions of innocent people in the name of racial purity.

Mark Bray, author of Antifa: The Anti-Fascist Handbook, says the modern American Antifa movement began in the 1980s with a group called Anti-Racist Action. Its members confronted neo-Nazi skinheads at punk gigs in the American Midwest and elsewhere who were on the rise back then. By the early 2000s the Antifa movement was mostly dormant - until the rise of Donald Trump and the alt-right bought them back.

The Alt-right in the US and Europe are primarily united on maintaining the purity of what they call the "white race" and given Trump seems to be largely ineffective and even conciliatory toward these groups (he and his son famously re-tweeted posts from ultra-far right politicians) antifa feel they must defend humanity from the rise of this vile movement.

Although I do not support violence, sometimes you have to defend yourself.

Well the problem is these Antifa groups aren't just 'defending themselves' they actively provoke violence and conflict it seems like. I mean as far as I know they have gotten concerts cancelled by threatening venues with trouble....I mean even music isn't safe from those guys.

I am not sure if Antifa are a united front yet...there may be groups infiltrating them and using violence under their banner

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 4:59 am

Shrapnel wrote:
So, struggling to find neo-Nazis to condemn, antifa activists decided to attack the police instead.Antifa's definition of neo-nazi and fascist seems to be a bit too adaptable and fluid.

No confusion here in Portland Oregon...Nazi see Nazi do...

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 8:32 am

Darmok wrote:
Antifa is the modern-day Ku Klux Klan -- it's the current paramilitary wing of the Democratic Party, just like the Klan was in ages past.

That is absolutely not correct. The antifa groups are way outside the political mainstream. See “They have no allegiance to liberal democracy”: an expert on antifa explains the group by Sean Illing, Vox, Aug 13, 2018.

See also The assault on conservative journalist Andy Ngo, explained: "An unjustifiable attack — and a subsequent controversy spotlighting the militant left-wing group antifa," by Zack Beauchamp, Vox, Jul 3, 2019.

Also it's disingenuous to equate today's Democratic Party with the Democratic Party as it existed in the mid-to-late 1800's or the early-to-mid 1900's. The two major political parties in the U.S.A. have evolved quite a bit in both their ideologies and their constituencies. Indeed in some ways the Democrats and Republicans have outright swapped roles.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 4:20 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Darmok wrote:
Antifa is the modern-day Ku Klux Klan -- it's the current paramilitary wing of the Democratic Party, just like the Klan was in ages past.

That is absolutely not correct. The antifa groups are way outside the political mainstream. .

You are debating with somebody who will reply with a picture

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 9:18 pm

cyberdad wrote:
Mona Pereth wrote:
Darmok wrote:

That is absolutely not correct. The antifa groups are way outside the political mainstream. .

You are debating with somebody who will reply with a picture

If you're lucky

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 11:06 am

The main issue I have with this is that the US is so polarized (probably other countries as well) that we’re basically choosing which extremists are more tolerable.

If we don’t support Antifa (generally considered a far-left anarcho-communist group), we’re “one of them” (meaning Nazis).

We shouldn’t be tolerating *any* extremism.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!