Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 1:46 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I can see who is online in my friends list. I don't have a foe list.

This.

IF...I got to my account I can see the list folks I have labeled "friends" - and see who is on the site.
But I rarely ever check it.

Don't have a foe's list. And from what everyone says apparently it doesn't do anything anyway.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 2:14 pm

A foe list just keeps them from messaging you and when they do, it auto deletes from your inbox once it arrives.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 5:55 pm

League_Girl wrote:
A foe list just keeps them from messaging you and when they do, it auto deletes from your inbox once it arrives.

That makes sense.

It probably works at doing that. And it probably wouldn't be feasible to block you from seeing posts in threads by an individual anyway(. It would be crazy if you could do that. Joe Blows posts would be blank in thread where you could folks replying to him. And then Jane Doe could quote job blow and respond to him, and the computer might mess up and you might then see Joe Blow's post inside the quote, or not. Either way it would be strange.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 5:58 pm

League_Girl wrote:

I tested this by putting a friend on my foe list temporarily, to see what would happen. Their PM arrived but had a red box beside it. It wasn't blocked.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 6:06 pm

I don't actually use either of these functions. As an experiment, I once nominated a member as a friend, and couldn't work out what it was supposed to do. She was banned shortly afterwards, but still shows up as a 'friend'!

Interesting that it apparently shows who's online. In the old days of the forum, before the Autumn 2014 revamp, the names of people who were online were shown at the top of the screen in a sort of ticker tape. I always found that a bit of an intrusion of privacy issue, but it was possible to opt out of it.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 6:11 pm

DeepHour wrote:
I don't actually use either of these functions. As an experiment, I once nominated a member as a friend, and couldn't work out what it was supposed to do. She was banned shortly afterwards, but still shows up as a 'friend'!

Interesting that it apparently shows who's online. In the old days of the forum, before the Autumn 2014 revamp, the names of people who were online were shown at the top of the screen in a sort of ticker tape. I always found that a bit of an intrusion of privacy issue, but it was possible to opt out of it.

You are opted out now; it doesn't show when you are online. Regarding your banned friend, if you click on their name to see their profile, there should be an option to remove them as a friend. It's beneath their avatar.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 6:40 pm

Interesting - the 'tickertape' thing operated independently from the 'friend and foe' system, if I recall correctly. I must have opted out at the time, and unwittingly remained opted out of the present setup.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 6:59 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I tested this by putting a friend on my foe list temporarily, to see what would happen. Their PM arrived but had a red box beside it. It wasn't blocked.

Weird. When a for sent me a PM, it wasn't there. I got an email about it so that is how I know.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 7:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Weird. When a for sent me a PM, it wasn't there. I got an email about it so that is how I know.

Hmmm. I don't request email notifications for anything, so I can't compare. Interesting.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

01 Aug 2019, 9:47 pm

League_Girl wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

I think that feature shouldn't notify you that you got a PM.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Aug 2019, 9:51 pm

nick007 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Maybe the person who wrote to League_Girl sent a PM, then deleted the PM after she was notified (before she checked her inbox).

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2019, 12:38 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
nick007 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Maybe the person who wrote to League_Girl sent a PM, then deleted the PM after she was notified (before she checked her inbox).

Maybe. It was from my former stalker and it freaked me out and then I saw it wasn't in my inbox, whew. I will report him if he gives me any trouble and expose him to the mods. :twisted:

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 6:39 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:
There's someone whose posts I simply don't want to see anymore. I suppose it makes sense that that should be impossible, on practical grounds.

I hope it is nothing I have said?

No, not you, but someone who has (basically) left now.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2019, 7:38 pm

Glad it was nothing I said. You are a blessing.