Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Near the trees and fields on a hill near the sea not far from beaches, harbours and castles on the Welsh coastline in the British Isles in the U.K. You know, that place next to Europe?.

02 Jul 2019, 5:35 am

What do they feel like?

Foe some reason I may get both along with other feelings like tense and on edge etc, but for me they seem to all be in a difficult to define form. It is like when one has new plastacine and takes all the colours, mixes them all up and it becomes one mixed up mess of colour... The stage just before it starts forming a new brown to grey type of colour... That is how the feelings come to me, so for me to define one single feeling from them can be difficult. It is not that I don't feel them. I think I feel them quite strongly at times, but to identify them as individual feelings... Well. Not so easy! Anxious. I believe I call this nurvousness? It could be the words I use to eescribe things? But what is the difference between nurves and anxiety? Lots of thought needed here to unravel feelings. I need to mentally try to put feelings in individual slotted areas to try to fathom it all out. Not easy is it? Haha! But who said we as humans are easy

Neurodiverse 173/200. Neurotypical 21/200. Empathy 11/80. AQ 39.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 9:18 am

I get headaches, feel as though I'm going to throw up and have to pee a lot. Pretty normal consequences. I have never experienced anything like you have described.

ju5t4n3rd
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

02 Jul 2019, 11:52 am

For me, stress is a pressing feeling in my head. It is in the front of my mind, but I know I also can do other things. To use an example, it is stressful to think about grocery shopping for me, because I know that I'm going to be in a loud place with a lot of sensations. But even with that stress, I know that I can do other things like put off grocery shopping to "charge" myself for it, or bring a friend who can keep me focused, or headphones to tune out auditory overload.

Anxiety, on the other hand, doesn't let me focus on anything else. It is in my head, but I also feel it all over my body. My chest tightens, I feel dizzy, I sweat a lot more, I'm making trips to the bathroom more, and the ONLY thing I can think about is the problem. My brain won't let me work on solutions, it just focuses on the "gigantic" problem in front of me.

Sometimes, when I'm more fragile than usual, things that normally stress me out will instead give me anxiety. To use the same grocery store example, on a day where it makes me particularly anxious, I wouldn't even think of going. I tend to isolate myself more when I'm anxious, I don't eat. I just end up sitting in this fog of fear.

That's how I differentiate them, in my head. I can understand how they mix up and together. Most of the time when I am anxious, I am also very stressed.

I love cats!! !

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Near the trees and fields on a hill near the sea not far from beaches, harbours and castles on the Welsh coastline in the British Isles in the U.K. You know, that place next to Europe?.

02 Jul 2019, 3:51 pm

I think if I get stress I am also getting anxiety as well. I have to think about it. I can identify a bit with ju5t4n3rd as maybe they are different. The feelings you describe I get... But I will need to think as I get them to try to work thinga out what is going on. I don't normall get it as a headache Isominfan, but it is more like pressure in my head.
Trying to make head or tail of my feelings... Not easy. When doctors used to ask me do I feel anxious or do I feel stressed? I would say "No" because I never knew I could be feeling them as in a way some feeling of what I call nurves is normal for me... It is only recently that I have been attempting to work it all out. Not easy is it! Haha!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 4:07 pm

It's hard for me to describe it because I don't get any psychical symptoms. I know I shut down and I am screaming a lot and I get more irritable and more things bother me, I am more sensitive to change and sound.

I would n't know how to describe my anxiety either if someone asked. I was asked two weeks ago how it affects me and what makes me anxious and I couldn't really tell her. I just said "stuff in general everyday." But I was able to say I isolate myself in my room when I am very upset or overwhelmed. I also can't keep up with my kids because it is overwhelming.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2019, 4:51 pm

League_Girl wrote:
It's hard for me to describe it because I don't get any psychical symptoms. I know I shut down and I am screaming a lot and I get more irritable and more things bother me, I am more sensitive to change and sound.

I would n't know how to describe my anxiety either if someone asked. I was asked two weeks ago how it affects me and what makes me anxious and I couldn't really tell her. I just said "stuff in general everyday." But I was able to say I isolate myself in my room when I am very upset or overwhelmed. I also can't keep up with my kids because it is overwhelming.

Do you think the shut downs come because you are not able to pick up on your feelings, and so the stress/anxiety and anything else may come but you do not feel them in a sense sort of way, so you don't adjust the same way other people adjust and it suddenly all hits you in a shutdown?

I believe (Though I am not too sure of this) that some feelings I should be able to identify are mixed in with other feelings or I don't feel them, so it could be why I get partial shutdowns instead (Assuming they are partial shutdowns... I need this assessed if it is possible?). About the age of six or before that I used to get rages... Tempers? I would get really wound up and lash out. I am greatful my dad stopped this. But could these rages have been an outward form of a build up of emotions in which I could not explain as inwardly somehow I couldn't sort them out? I don't know. When I was a baby I used to scream and cry so much at one point my Mum nearly chucked me out an upstairs window! I also used to scream and not take a breath and go blue...