Is America becoming a fascist country?

Page 2 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:27 am

We have a president who doesn't even understand, much less respect, the rule of law.

But democracy will survive him if he just serves one term.

If the GOP came to its senses and swapped him out for someone else ( a conventional Mitt Romney type say) to serve out the rest of this term, the GOP might even win reelection with that someone else, and democracy would survive.

In the short term its the man, not either party, that is the problem.

But in the long run we have to recognize that Trump is a symptom, and not the whole disease. And the disease is polarization caused by changes in society. Its gonna be a bumpy road ahead. The GOP is already dead, which precisely why it clings to a leader who violates Republican values to stay in power. But the Dems need to change too to win back a populace driven to do crazy stuff ...like vote for reality TV star who speaks like a fifth grade drop out carnival barker.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:27 am

Biscuitman wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/ocasio-cortez-trump-usa-headed-fascism

Ocasio Cortez seems to think so.

That is a Fox news link. I am in the UK so can't see Fox News but I thought they were widely accepted as one of the main sources of 'fake news' in America?

MAGAs seem to love FOX News, so whenever they occassionally post something negative about the Trump administration I like to use them since they insist every other news source is "fake news" for not kissing Trump's ass.

FOX used to kiss Trump's ass all the time, but now even they are starting to wise up and see what a monster he is.

Funny how the moment they quit sucking up to Trump all of a sudden they get counted as "fake news" too. Lol

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:28 am

FASCISM (n): A political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation, cultural identity, and race above the individual, and that stands for severe economic and social regimentation, forcible suppression of opposition, and a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader.

Fascism is also, more often than not, patriarchal; that is, it is a government that is composed of men who rule the state for their own benefit. Women in a fascist state tend to be subjugated as wives, housekeepers, caregivers, and breeding stock for the male "Master Race".

Thus, if the current crop of white supremacists have their way, women in America would likely be removed from all positions of authority (i.e., doctors, engineers, lawyers, politicians, professors, scientists, teachers, et cetera) and kept at home for the pleasure and sufferance of their husbands.

And woe betide any woman who speaks out against a fascist regime; abandonment, abuse, and repeated assault would be her fate -- just ask any burka-clad Muslim woman with scars across her back.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:39 am

In a very generalized sense:

Fox News is seen as being biased towards "conservative" ideas and people

CNN and MSNBC is seen as being biased towards "liberal" ideas and people. MSNBC perhaps more so than CNN.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:40 am

Fnord wrote:
FASCISM (n): A political philosophy, movement, or regime that exalts nation, cultural identity, and race above the individual, and that stands for severe economic and social regimentation, forcible suppression of opposition, and a centralized autocratic government headed by a dictatorial leader.

Fascism is also, more often than not, patriarchal; that is, it is a government that is composed of men who rule the state for their own benefit. Women in a fascist state tend to be subjugated as wives, housekeepers, caregivers, and breeding stock for the male "Master Race".

Thus, if the current crop of white supremacists have their way, women in America would likely be removed from all positions of authority (i.e., doctors, engineers, lawyers, politicians, professors, scientists, teachers, et cetera) and kept at home for the pleasure and sufferance of their husbands.

And woe betide any woman who speaks out against a fascist regime; abandonment, abuse, and repeated assault would be her fate -- just ask any burka-clad Muslim woman with scars across her back.

I think these new abortion laws might be the beginning of this. I mean what's next? Forcing women to marry their rapists like in the old days? :|

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:43 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:

I think these new abortion laws might be the beginning of this. I mean what's next? Forcing women to marry their rapists like in the old days?
More like sending them to "re-education camps" if they've ever had an abortion.

So sad to know that most of the people I know who voted for Trump did so only because he is opposed to abortion, even though they claim that he is otherwise unfit to serve.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:44 am

I'm kinda surprised people are more worried about a fuke president who's a flash in the pan, and not concerned about a system of government that wants to micromanage how you live your life and come up with long list of things to tax you on.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:48 am

Draconian abortion laws were passed on purpose----as "test cases" for an attempt to overturn "Roe Vs. Wade" in the US Supreme Court.

Even the ones who passed the laws knew they are, for all intents and purposes, nonenforceable.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:51 am

EzraS wrote:
I'm kinda surprised people are more worried about a fuke president who's a flash in the pan, and not concerned about a system of government that wants to micromanage how you live your life and come up with long list of things to tax you on.
Either way, it's governance by the wealthy, and not by the people.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:52 am

We the People.... are screwed.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 9:55 am

We might be "screwed"----but it doesn't mean we give up.

The German people had "given up" by the time Hitler came to power. What occurred between 1919 and 1933 in Germany had worn the people down to the point where Hitler was a palatable alternative to the status quo.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2019, 9:57 am

We have possessed the civic values necessary for fascism for quite some time. The cultural primitivism of the U.S. compared to Western European society in the late 20th century, its closest societal equivalent, is and has been overly pronounced. We've had institutional racism, soft genocide of the Native Americans (both before this period and during), the use of religion to mythologize the founding of our great "Christian" nation (there are many who still believe the U.S. exists to perform God's work, especially towards laying the groundwork for Revelation), rampant global imperialist unilateralism, and an ideological framework to justify "survival of the fittest" policies.

The difference is, in my view, affluence and security. We're not feeling subjugated nor are we dealing with a collapsed economy (although its decline for the average citizen is certainly playing a role in contemporary politics). This helps to keep the progress towards fascism quieter and more sub-textual. It's also getting fed through the libertarian wedding with American conservatism. All this leads to a different kind of manipulation. Whereas literal Nazis would have said "Mexican immigrants are racially inferior and degrade the nation," today's Nazis say "illegal immigration takes away American jobs and worsens crime." They're persuading through internalized biases and fear as opposed to openly stoking racial supremacy, although that is unfortunately starting to happen as well :(

In my home state of Tennessee, very recently a sheriff and pastor from Knox county got in front of his congregation and called openly for the state sponsored persecution and executions of LGBT individuals. He will not be fired for free speech reasons. The more important point is realizing he is speaking to a receptive audience and regional culture that resonates with his messaging:

https://www.wkrn.com/news/newsfeed-now/ ... xecutions/

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:04 am

EzraS wrote:

Maybe because many of us here are so poor that we can't live our lives the way we want and don't have lots to pay more tax about anyway? :P

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We might be "screwed"----but it doesn't mean we give up.

The German people had "given up" by the time Hitler came to power. What occurred between 1919 and 1933 in Germany had worn the people down to the point where Hitler was a palatable alternative to the status quo.

If we ever reach that point I think it'll be up to the other nations of the world to unite and take us out. Hopefully we can rebuild from scratch afterwards.

Shrapnel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:07 am

Fnord wrote:
So sad to know that most of the people I know who voted for Trump did so only because he is opposed to abortion, even though they claim that he is otherwise unfit to serve.[/color]

Most people I know voted for Trump because the democrats fielded an utterly inferior candidate who felt entitled to the office of the Presidency. She lost Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin as a result of jettisoning the working man in favor of the rainbow coalition and alienated half the country by calling them a "basket of deplorables."

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:08 am

Fnord wrote:
EzraS wrote:
Either way, it's governance by the wealthy, and not by the people.

The thing is the people think it is by them and has their best interest at heart. It will let them have abortions and a few other things they focus on the most, but it will also put many other controls into place.