Page 3 of 5 [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:08 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
In a very generalized sense:

Fox News is seen as being biased towards "conservative" ideas and people

CNN and MSNBC is seen as being biased towards "liberal" ideas and people. MSNBC perhaps more so than CNN.

I am not aware of MSNBC, but whenever the fake news conversation comes up it always looks from the outside that CNN & Fox are the 2 big well established ones that are accepted as being categorised this way. More recently I have noticed some on WP* (and elsewhere) banging on about fake news on one thread but then using one of the accepted fake news sources on another thread to back up their point on a story.

Is the whole 'fake news' thing actually more about confirmation bias and delegitimising the party someone doesn't like than it is about actually calling out fake news?

*note - this is not directed at the opening poster of this thread

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:12 am

Shrapnel wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So sad to know that most of the people I know who voted for Trump did so only because he is opposed to abortion, even though they claim that he is otherwise unfit to serve.[/color]

Most people I know voted for Trump because the democrats fielded an utterly inferior candidate who felt entitled to the office of the Presidency. She lost Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin as a result of jettisoning the working man in favor of the rainbow coalition and alienated half the country by calling them a "basket of deplorables."

Most people I know in Georgia and Florida who voted for Trump were poor white rednecks who thought he was going to make them rich too and punish those muslims and hispanics. I guess only 2 out of those 3 wishes came true for them.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:12 am

Shrapnel wrote:
Fnord wrote:
So sad to know that most of the people I know who voted for Trump did so only because he is opposed to abortion, even though they claim that he is otherwise unfit to serve.[/color]

Most people I know voted for Trump because the democrats fielded an utterly inferior candidate who felt entitled to the office of the Presidency. She lost Michigan, Pennsylvania and Wisconsin as a result of jettisoning the working man in favor of the rainbow coalition and alienated half the country by calling them a "basket of deplorables."

You'd think the strategy would be trying to win them over instead of branding them as deplorables and nazis. I'm sure there's a few campaigning now who are on the same track.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:17 am

MAGAs are stubborn and there is no point trying to reason with them or win them over. They are pre-determined to hate Trump opposers no matter what.

You know it's true.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:19 am

I'm just waiting for the violent bloodshed between the red and blue dragons. :salut:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:23 am

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
MAGAs are stubborn and there is no point trying to reason with them or win them over. They are pre-determined to hate Trump opposers no matter what.

You know it's true.

MAGA and Trump have been around a very short time. The opposition against what they see as an Orwellian system of government has been around a lot longer than that.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:26 am

To be honest, it was Trump who started all this "fake news" hysteria.

Whenever somebody would level an accusation against Trump, he would tweet "Fake News!" Or some alternative thereof.

He called CNN, to paraphrase, the "Fake News Network." He said similar things about the "Failing New York Times."

He also said the Press (in general) is the "enemy of the people."

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:31 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

Whenever somebody would level an accusation against Trump, he would tweet "Fake News!" Or some alternative thereof.

He called CNN, to paraphrase, the "Fake News Network." He said similar things about the "Failing New York Times."

Didn't Hitler do similar things during The Third Reich when it came to German radio before the Nazi government took control of it and used it as their own personal propoganda machine?

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jul 2019, 10:32 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

He has also hinted at charging some members of the press with treason, which takes these quotes you have mentioned to a new level of alarm.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:

I never saw anyone saying it pre Trump. People have taken his catchphrases and run!

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:34 am

The path to completely abolishing the constitution is like trying to complete one lap around a jog track without making any sounds from your footsteps and also trying not to set off any of the motion detector alarms set up around the track.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:35 am

Hitler did similar things....and much worse.

We really shouldn't liken Trump to Hitler. That would lessen the impact of what Hitler did.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Hitler did similar things....and much worse.

We really shouldn't liken Trump to Hitler. That would lessen the impact of what Hitler did.

What really worries me is that people like Trump may pathe the way for the next Hitler to rise to power.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:40 am

I mean, Hitler wasn't the only corrupt leader in the history of the world to have done the kind of horrific things he did. Look at Caligula.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:46 am

I would say we definitely "should be on the lookout."

But to say we're a "fascist" country at this moment is hyperbole, in my opinion.

And remember: "Fascist" with a capital "F" means, exclusively, the characteristics of the Mussolini regime in Italy from about 1922 to 1945. Mussolini's ideas are known as "Fascism."

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I would say we definitely "should be on the lookout."

But to say we're a "fascist" country at this moment is hyperbole, in my opinion.

And remember: "Fascist" with a capital "F" means, exclusively, the characteristics of the Mussolini regime in Italy from about 1922 to 1945. Mussolini's ideas are known as "Fascism."

Yeah, as long as we have the right to complain about being a fascist country, we're not yet really a fascist country! :D

I'd honestly say right now we are closer to a kakistocracy. Our government leaders are largely made up of either unscrupulous people with a high tolerance for corruption or incompetent people with empty promises and no backbone.