03 Jul 2019, 2:50 pm

What would you like to talk about?

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2019, 2:57 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:

How the world is a sucky and unfair place, how no one understands me, how people with strong family ties are seen as more valuable by the society, how based on the fact that the last season of the game of thrones totally sucked after being delayed now there's a risk of better call saul's last season going down the poop bucket because delaying a year seems to be a troubling sign, how depression makes denial such an easy but counterproductive option, how i'd love to go to Canada and drive from vancouver to toronto, or from toronto to quebec, but it'll just mean just carrying the loneliness with me

Or some other things, like how when people talk about scifi, they always mean some stupid comics and never clarke or asimov

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 3:39 pm

travelerrr wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

How the world is a sucky and unfair place, how no one understands me, how people with strong family ties are seen as more valuable by the society, how based on the fact that the last season of the game of thrones totally sucked after being delayed now there's a risk of better call saul's last season going down the poop bucket because delaying a year seems to be a troubling sign, how depression makes denial such an easy but counterproductive option, how i'd love to go to Canada and drive from vancouver to toronto, or from toronto to quebec, but it'll just mean just carrying the loneliness with me

Or some other things, like how when people talk about scifi, they always mean some stupid comics and never clarke or asimov

Yes, the world can be pretty awful. I get everything you're saying.

I've only read one book by Asimov; I never found him convincing. Are you a fan of Star Trek? It can be quite highbrow.

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2019, 4:01 pm

Prometheus18 wrote:

I've only read one book by Asimov; I never found him convincing. Are you a fan of Star Trek? It can be quite highbrow.

That's exactly what I mean, lol

I am not a fan of anything, especially not of Star Trek. I've read several books that expand the limits of the universe - heck, even Bester should be considered scifi because generally his books are internally consistent, if the world can jaunte or read minds, then that's the world he describes. But seems to me no one else ever has read those :))))

Asimov is annoying, yes. But more from a philosophical and writing standpoint. His writings are definitely scifi.

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 4:08 pm

travelerrr wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

That's exactly what I mean, lol

I am not a fan of anything, especially not of Star Trek. I've read several books that expand the limits of the universe - heck, even Bester should be considered scifi because generally his books are internally consistent, if the world can jaunte or read minds, then that's the world he describes. But seems to me no one else ever has read those :))))

Asimov is annoying, yes. But more from a philosophical and writing standpoint. His writings are definitely scifi.

He was also a terrible prophet; I roared with laughter when he described one of his characters, in a book set at least a century in the future, still smoking a pipe.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 4:17 pm

travelerrr wrote:
Prometheus18 wrote:

I read Asimov and Clarke when I was younger and found them mind stretching. Don't forget, Prometheus, TV was new and the internet decades away. Asimov's early works were better than his later ones. Have you read Octavia Butler, travelerr? I realize she is not exactly recent, but her stories are amazing.

I do not find that loneliness travels with me. For me, that was one of the NT lies (may be true for NTs) that if you go some place new, you carry the same problems with you. For me, place is extremely important. And traveling is so engaging that you can forget your problems. The world isn't all bad, but it does push us into corners from time to time.

What else do you like to read.

And welcome to Wrong Planet!

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 Jul 2019, 4:31 pm

blazingstar wrote:

I do not find that loneliness travels with me. For me, that was one of the NT lies (may be true for NTs) that if you go some place new, you carry the same problems with you. For me, place is extremely important. And traveling is so engaging that you can forget your problems. The world isn't all bad, but it does push us into corners from time to time.

What else do you like to read.

And welcome to Wrong Planet!

I've been to nearly 50 countries, and 3 new ones this year. Yes, traveling provides a distraction from loneliness, but not much more than a distraction. I took that as a given in my younger years, but then i traveled a few times with other people, and the overall experience was immensely enhanced in a multitude of small but significant ways.

Now I can't even imagine a driving trip by myself. I mean, I can do it, sure, but what's the point?

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 7:53 pm

The point for me is seeing new things, speaking a different language, new foods, new styles of living.

But if you have been to 50 countries, you could be more jaded.

I prefer to travel alone, and not with groups. So we are different there.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 7:58 pm

Why not take a look at something different in tne steampunk thread? May not be your thing, but it may?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 8:08 pm

Have you been to Ghana.....or even Democratic Republic of the Congo?

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2019, 10:00 pm

I get lonely often to. Have you been to Prague?

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2019, 1:40 am

Yes to Ghana and Prague, no to Congo

From the scifi/fantasy genre, all the obvious for 20 years ago: clarke, le guin, bester, zelazny, heinlein. from the more recent: goodkind (oh Kahlan was so hot in the show, but Richard was awful), gaiman. Obviously stephen king, i've read almost all of him. except for the recent stuff which sucks. that's what i can think of at the moment.

"I do not find that loneliness travels with me." -- sounds like you don't have a terrible depression. but I think it's time to face the reality that i do.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 10:42 am

I know all the authors you quote except Bester. Can you tell me more about this author?

I am sorry you have terrible depression. (travelerrr)

travelerrr
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 Jul 2019, 8:22 pm

blazingstar wrote:
I know all the authors you quote except Bester. Can you tell me more about this author?

I am sorry you have terrible depression. (travelerrr)

This is probably one of the best books in the world. Here's a full text:

https://libcom.org/library/stars-my-des ... red-bester

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 4:08 am

I was trying to think back... I don't necessarily think I felt loneliness as much as angst. I attributed it to loneliness because I constantly compared myself to NTs. This was in my early 30s and I was transfixed with what I saw everyone else having. Then, I found someone who is an NT and now they are always in my space. There's always a trade off. If I am ever single again, I might try your way, OP. Traverse the periphery of societies and then compare... I travel in books, though. So, in that respect I can relate. Books are amazing...

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.