Cartoonist fired after a Trump caricature

Page 1 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tollorin
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 12:24 am

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/cartoonist-fired-nb-newspapers-trump-cartoon-1.5196179

https://www.cbc.ca/radio/asithappens/as-it-happens-monday-edition-1.5196196/michael-de-adder-opens-up-about-being-dumped-by-n-b-newspapers-after-viral-trump-cartoon-1.5196199

Some interesting elements:
According to the cartoonist, Brunswick News, which is a powerful media empire on a province scale, has a conservative bias and didn't wanted caricatures about Trump.
The say media company is also part of the Irving conglomerate, and thus part of the military-industrial complex. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irving_Shipbuilding

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 6:56 am

If Trump had his way, all criticism of he and his government would be suppressed.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 7:20 am

I disagree.

It's inaccurate, first off. I can manage to keep my head above water, but nothing in my brain tells me that I could shove a toddler under my T-shirt and swim the Rio Grande. The man's mother was interviewed. She was well nourished and her home was clean and tidy. He told her he was going to send money back to her. This man sacrificed his child for money. The mother's advice after the death of her son and granddaughter was, 'don't do it, it's not worth it.'

The immigration and asylum laws were put into place before Trump.

If a cartoon is based on the truth, that's another matter.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 7:37 am

The cartoon was in extreme poor taste.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 8:08 am

He was let go because his contract expired, not because of the cartoon’s content.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 8:20 am

The cartoonist did his job well, just like Charlie Hebdo and Kurt Westergaard.
This is the kind of thing public figures must be able to take in a modern, free society.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 8:44 am

Trump himself had nothing to with that man being let go. Far as I know he didn't even comment on the sick cartoon.

The cartoonist who drew the cartoon below was fired. Any protest over him being fired for it? I hope not.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 9:42 am

Skilpadde wrote:
The cartoonist did his job well, just like Charlie Hebdo.

I suspect the Charlie Hebdo cartoonists would have preferred being fired over being massacred.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 10:18 pm

Nothing wrong with it.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 3:09 am

EzraS wrote:
Trump himself had nothing to with that man being let go. Far as I know he didn't even comment on the sick cartoon.

The cartoonist who drew the cartoon below was fired. Any protest over him being fired for it? I hope not.

...I think you may be mistaken about that, Ezra, I was just reading about that recently and.........

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 3:20 am

EzraS wrote:
The cartoon was in extreme poor taste.

I've seen much worse

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 3:57 am

I do not think it is worse than using a child's death as a cartoon. But it is bad.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 4:39 am

True, you can't compare a child's death but the impact of the Serena cartoon is equally widespread

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 7:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
True, you can't compare a child's death but the impact of the Serena cartoon is equally widespread

Why?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 5:13 pm

I believe the cartoon impacted on both the African American community invoking the old exaggerated caricatures overemphasising lips nose etc...but also on women in general.

Serena was playing a black player, Naomi Osaka, when she had her famous meltdown but the cartoonist sneakily caricatured Osaka as a petite blonde. I don't think that was accidental, they were trying their best to contrast the "opposite" of Serena which in the cartoonists mind was an attractive white woman who was (naturally) also a good sport.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 8:10 pm

So it has subtle offences that you are reading into it.