Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 1:31 am

It caused quite a ruckus at the time

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 4:19 am

It does not seem to take much to cause a ruckus these days.

As for the OP cartoon I can see them just not wanting to publish it, rather than firing the guy. Then again I heard he was not let go for that but idk. I think any cartoon depicting someone's death right after they died is usually in very poor taste. Especially when a child who just died is depicted.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 6:15 am

I think the cartoonist was making a statement about Trump playing golf at his Mar-a-Lago estate which has been a magnet for south American visa workers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 6:28 am

In my opinion that does not make it any less sick. This is one more thing being politicized. Really basically seems to be blaming Trump for thier deaths.

Oh look someone just got run over, let's use it against Trump!

Oh look a man and his little girl just drowned, let's use it against Trump!

No not poor Trump. I am pointing out the opportunism.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 10:58 pm

This theme has been used before and nothing was done to the cartoonists in question so it's just that Trump is in the aforementioned cartoon makes it different

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 12:11 am

Political correctness is the reason that we can't have nice things, anymore.

Vertetuesi
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Jul 2019, 6:33 am

cyberdad wrote:
I believe the cartoon impacted on both the African American community invoking the old exaggerated caricatures overemphasising lips nose etc...but also on women in general.

Serena was playing a black player, Naomi Osaka, when she had her famous meltdown but the cartoonist sneakily caricatured Osaka as a petite blonde. I don't think that was accidental, they were trying their best to contrast the "opposite" of Serena which in the cartoonists mind was an attractive white woman who was (naturally) also a good sport.

(1) Lips, but not nose.

(2) Blonde, but not petite and definitely not "black" (Japanese-Brazilian, clue's in the name).

My assessment of the above:

(1) Serena's lips, or rather mouth, was in focus because she was sounding off big time. It would be the same with anyone of any race if they were shouting and that was the central focus of the cartoon.

(2) There's no way to say "petite" in terms of the scale as far as can be judged. However, the "blonde" bit is puzzling unless we assume the cartoonist doesn't know much about (women's) tennis and has a principal impression of it formed by the undoubted fact that the WTA has been inundated with Slavs for seemingly decades now....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 6:40 am

cyberdad wrote:
This theme has been used before and nothing was done to the cartoonists in question so it's just that Trump is in the aforementioned cartoon makes it different

Which one of those is depicting the recent death of a particular child?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 6:42 am

Vertetuesi wrote:
(2) Blonde, but not petite and definitely not "black" (Japanese-Brazilian, clue's in the name).

Naomi Osaka is half haitian not Brazilian, here's her father

Vertetuesi wrote:
1) Serena's lips, or rather mouth, was in focus because she was sounding off big time. It would be the same with anyone of any race if they were shouting and that was the central focus of the cartoon.

Read this
https://www.news.com.au/sport/sports-li ... 2c0b766e33
Vertetuesi wrote:
2) There's no way to say "petite" in terms of the scale as far as can be judged. However, the "blonde" bit is puzzling

Here's Osaka's hair (there's no way you can picture this as a pretty little blonde pony tail)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 6:43 am

EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

1st and 4th

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 6:52 am

cyberdad wrote:
EzraS wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

1st and 4th

What are the corresponding news stories?

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 7:22 pm

The first cartoon is ridiculing the bureaucracy around processing refugees despite their drowning deaths and the 4th is illustrating lack of humanity in the US republican party toward the plight of refugees.

I watched a BBC documentary on TV last night on the people smuggling trade in Libya and was not mentally prepared for what I saw. Thousands of Africans are paying money to take a rubber dinghy across the sea in the hope of being picked up by European Union navy. A portion of them are picked up by Libyan navy and sent back to Libya and put permanently into detention camps which are basically concentration camps where they are subject to abuse and sold into slavery.

An unknown number drown. What is frightening is that outside in international waters there are no cameras and with the number of rubber dinghys floating around there is no idea how many sink (apparently they are not designed to survive the full 200km) so if they are not picked up then they die. The EU navy might well be underesourced to pick up all of the boats or may even choose to let the boats sink as the sheer numbers are huge and processing all of them may not be possible.

I thought I could handle this issue in my mind but now I don't recommend people watch this BBC documentary as it's inhumane what is happening to these refugees.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 8:29 am

Remember, conservatives stand for freedom of speech. Just kidding.