Medical conditions may mark distinct autism subtypes

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 10:55 am

Quote:
Young autistic children fall into three groups based on the number and type of co-occurring conditions they have, according to a study of more than 3,000 autistic children1.

Some of these conditions, such as seizure disorders and developmental delays, may serve as early red flags for autism.

Autism is notoriously heterogeneous; some researchers believe it is not one condition but many. Scientists are using genetics to try to identify biological subtypes of autism. The new work suggests a different approach: classifying autistic children by the number and type of medical conditions they have

https://www.spectrumnews.org/news/medic ... -subtypes/

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 2:13 pm

I'm in the "developmental delay" group.

I was considered "dumb" and laughed at most of my life.

Still today, I feel like I need to memorize something in advance, whereas NT people seem to have more fluid/flexible minds.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 3:11 pm

Very interesting, thanks for the read.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 3:18 pm

I was also developmental delayed. Not to be confused with developmental disorder. I think developmental delayed is a label used when the doctors want to do the wait and see approach before diagnosing the child with a disorder.

BTW isn't having socialization issues and communication issues a developmental delay? To say an autistic child had none of it is basically saying they were an NT and showed no signs of autism at an early age. Everything they did at that age was normal. Then they don't start to fit into autism when they are older when they start to show delays in their development like why haven't they still learned turn taking or carrying on a conversation?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 3:43 pm

I'm not sure I fit into any of the groups. My overt psychiatric issues started with what we'd now call social anxiety just before I was 14 . I was badly coordinated(possible dyspraxia? but never diagnosed) . I'm much better verbally than non-verbally(probable learning difficulty but never diagnosed as such)

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 5:26 pm

I had trouble sleeping as a child.
Rarely could they get me down for a nap.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 5:47 pm

I think this is an attempt to re-classify the DSM based behavioral model of autism (ASD levels 1-3) within the paradigm of the biomedical model.

The biomedical model splits subtypes on the basis of comorbid medical conditions such as motor nueron problems, seizures and gastrointestinal problems. There may be other genes involves not linked to autism?

Other issues such ADHD and neuro-developmental (language/communication?) delay may be linked to the autism ?

Until the genes are mapped all of these classification systems (sub types) are still hypothetical and arbitrary...

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 10:12 pm

I have experienced developmental delay and seizures when little.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 4:08 am

Misslizard wrote:
I had trouble sleeping as a child.
Rarely could they get me down for a nap.

I quote from an email my father sent me.

Quote:
Mima and I tended to be rather short of sl,eep. Because you would not go to bed early,, had to have one of us stay with you until you went to sleep and tended to w,ake up with nightmares.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 5:37 am

I used to have night terrors too.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:18 am

EzraS wrote:

I wonder whether that is more common with people on the spectrum as young children.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:43 am

I believe in the “many autisms” hypothesis.

Autism has many causes.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:43 am

firemonkey wrote:
EzraS wrote:

I wonder whether that is more common with people on the spectrum as young children.

Probably. Maybe due to hyper senses.

leahbear
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jul 2019, 3:25 pm

I’ve had immune and gastrointestinal issues my whole life but I was a great sleeper when I was young, nothing would wake me up. I had a few years of bad sleep when my gut was more messed up than usual and caused my hormones to get really imbalanced. Now that I’ve got my gut healthy my hormones are balanced and my immune system is calming down and I’m back to sleeping well again.