Obesity "Fat" acceptance movement in the U.S.

Page 1 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 2:24 am

Magna wrote:
One statistic, which I find hard to believe, is that the average bra size in the U.S. is 34DD and this is correlated with obesity apparently.

I don't think truly obese women could fit into any 34 bra size. A rib cage circumference of 34" is actually rather slim. I wear a 32 to 34 myself, and I am on the low to normal BMI for a woman.

Anyway, more to the point: Women face far more pressure from society than men to have attractive bodies. Women who are perceived as obese are far more likely to be criticized for it than men. I think the understandable and beneficial side of obesity acceptance is that it calls out this way of thinking as being sexist and degrading to women.

KikiKitty678
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Aug 2019, 9:13 pm

It’s a response to stigma, probably. If we saw excess weight as just a health issue and not a reason to judge, we probably wouldn’t have the Fat Acceptance movement.

Sad how if a healthy-weight person had diabetes, we wouldn’t judge them harshly, but we do that about weight. It’s just a health issue.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 11:10 pm

For sure. I believe that a big part of the problem with weight in our society
is due to due to the consumerist nature that our societies have developed.

Over the past 100 years or so in particular all sorts of great products have been
invented in order to exploit us as consumers without restriction specifically for capital gain.

And where having the freedom to live what ever lifestyle we choose is a big part of
what makes the western world great, for some of us the freedom has been to our detriment.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 11:31 pm

KikiKitty678 wrote:
It’s a response to stigma, probably. If we saw excess weight as just a health issue and not a reason to judge, we probably wouldn’t have the Fat Acceptance movement.

Sad how if a healthy-weight person had diabetes, we wouldn’t judge them harshly, but we do that about weight. It’s just a health issue.

But they don't want their weight to be a health issue, they call it fatphobia to call obesity a medical issue and they say obese is a bad word too. :roll:

It's all propaganda.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2019, 11:55 pm

I think it's very positive to not stigmatize fat people, and promote a healthy lifestyle that isn't focused on how your body looks like. Based on my experience, being bullied for being overweight was one of the reasons I became obese as I stoped practicing sports and developed disordered eating. However, there is an anti-scientific discourse that wants to deny that obesity has consequences which I think is very dangerous... it's not normal to be morbidly obese, there is several reasons someone reach this path and people must be treated with respect nevertheless but it's not positive to normalize this.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 12:03 am

it is good manners to not talk to another person about their weight. based on the prevalence of morbid obesity in my neck of the woods, there is a lot of "not talking about weight" here. i thank god much of the time that i have been spared that particular fate, i saw what it did to my dad.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2019, 8:11 pm

madbutnotmad wrote:
For sure. I believe that a big part of the problem with weight in our society
is due to due to the consumerist nature that our societies have developed.

Over the past 100 years or so in particular all sorts of great products have been
invented in order to exploit us as consumers without restriction specifically for capital gain.

And where having the freedom to live what ever lifestyle we choose is a big part of
what makes the western world great, for some of us the freedom has been to our detriment.

I don't think that weight per-se is really that big of an issue in general.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 5:19 am

Body positivity movement is good, but being accepting of over weight is not.

Body positivity movement was originally (as far as I know) meant to encourage people to not feel unworthy even if they weren't normal weight, had scars or anything they didn't like and to make people stop making fun of others based on their appearance. I'm pretty sure that the original purpose was not to encourage unhealthy things like over weight and obesity, which is something some people have turned it in to. Over weight and especially obesity are bad things no matter how you look at it. And no, a doctor/nurse who comments on your weight is not being rude, they're doing their job. Of course, it matters how they say it, but I've heard many clearly over weight people call their doctors horrible and fat shaming when they've just mentioned the need for weight loss.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

25 Aug 2019, 9:14 am

Honestly I tried to accept weighing over 200 pounds but my doctor told me “you have to lose weight”. I’ve lost 9 pounds so far on a plant based diet. All I need to do is listen to my doctor and get to my goal of 180 pounds and maintain 180 pounds.

Body positivity is important but it’s about eating healthy, exercise and taking care of your body. I don’t let other people who aren’t my doctor though especially online. I haven’t had a Vanilla Coke in nearly a month.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

Cranjis
Butterfly
Butterfly

25 Aug 2019, 11:19 am

I support it in that I just want to be treated like a f*****g human with feelings who doesn't deserve to be abused, but beyond that, I don't pay attention to it like some others who are obsessed with it for ridiculous reasons (that goes for ~both sides~).

Like a lot of people, I've had a lot of horrible things happen to me in my life that lead to my severe weight issues, and I am working through them. It's not easy, but I've made progress again. But a lot of people don't give a s**t. They just see you as a punching bag. I've had grown men/other adults come up to me and insult me, it's utterly pathetic. One thing I'm working on is standing up for myself despite intense anxiety, so next time maybe I'll just yell back at them.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2019, 3:48 am

IMHO, people who pick fun of people with metabolic issues, need to wear the other person's shoes for a bit. i've been skinny and i've been fat, it's a lot easier to gain weight than to lose it. i really hate it when effortlessly lean and fit people [genes count for most of everything] do the piling-on. let it happen to those people and see how they feel about it.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

26 Aug 2019, 8:28 pm

auntblabby wrote:
IMHO, people who pick fun of people with metabolic issues, need to wear the other person's shoes for a bit. i've been skinny and i've been fat, it's a lot easier to gain weight than to lose it. i really hate it when effortlessly lean and fit people [genes count for most of everything] do the piling-on. let it happen to those people and see how they feel about it.
:wtg:
injuries, illnesses, & medication including mental & psychiatric can also play a huge part.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Rainbow_Belle
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2019, 3:57 am

We need to empower people to be happy for who they are and ignore the ignorant opinions of random jerks/keyboard warriors that do not matter. Society must promote body positivity and empower people with disabilities.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

27 Aug 2019, 6:39 am

I get that some people don't find fat attractive in others cuz they associate fat with being unhealthy but eating disorders like anorexia are also potentially very unhealthy yet the media glorifies it as those people being considered very attractive. The thinner a Hollywood star is, the easier it is for the person to get jobs, especially if she's a woman.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2019, 7:36 am

nick007 wrote:
I get that some people don't find fat attractive in others cuz they associate fat with being unhealthy but eating disorders like anorexia are also potentially very unhealthy yet the media glorifies it as those people being considered very attractive. The thinner a Hollywood star is, the easier it is for the person to get jobs, especially if she's a woman.

It's a false belief that eveyone who is anorectic is skinny (most, but not everyone), even an obese person can have it.

Thankfully though the beauty standards are starting to shift from super skinny to healthy weight... of course, admiring super skinny people wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't a health issue.

tensordyne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Sep 2019, 1:05 pm

Fat acceptance triggers me on many fronts.

Fat acceptance is predicated upon the idea that getting fat is no one's fault since doing anything different would not have made a bit of difference. This is false. Even for those with metabolic conditions, your best bet to stay in weight is to go on a plant strong Vegan diet. For the vast majority that is the rest of humanity though, you have no excuse, it is only your meat and dairy eating diet that is causing you to be fat in the first place; if you change, you will 100% loose the weight.

Stop the excuses: I lost the weight, so can you.