Obesity "Fat" acceptance movement in the U.S.

Page 6 of 6 [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,689
Location: Pacific Northwest

18 Sep 2019, 12:14 pm

There is the sugar tax which got people upset. The thing with sugar is it releases endorphines (sp) in your brain making you want it more. If you eat real food, you won't eat a lot of it unless your tummy is so used to having a lot of food it has been stretched out. Lot of our American foods have sugar in them and we have gotten so used to it, we won't eat real food if it lacks flavor because we believe food is supposed to taste good, not bland. If you grew up with it, that is normal to you so you don't know any different so therefore we want food to taste good. That is another factor to obesity. Lot of people are overweight and more people are obese today.


_________________
I have a quilt of labels. I had a language disorder and a speech disorder. Then communication disorder NOS. My other diagnoses have been Language Processing disorder, dyspraxia, SPD, OCD, ADD, Asperger’s, anxiety disorder, adjustment disorder, anorexia nervosa. My mom’s labels of me are: eating disorder, anorexia, social anxiety, PTSD, just being sensitive and having the victim complex when I was a kid. And of course she says I’m normal and says the only thing I had as a child was language. Huh? I must have been a shitty person then and maybe a difficult child I was who had to be labeled because of incompetent school staff and mean kids who didn’t accept differences and because I was trying to be “normal.” :/

My blog: https://mynoneabdlthoughts.wordpress.com/


Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,572

18 Sep 2019, 1:56 pm

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Rainbow_Belle wrote:
Big Food companies are solely to blame for this big problem of growing rates of obesity. What must be done is that governments must regulate and impose taxes that make unhealthy foods more expensive and make healthy foods cheaper. Sugar taxes have been imposed in Europe and are working to lower the rates of obesity.

Yeah, crack's illegal because it's addictive and it kills people. Meanwhile we have killer food that's designed for addiction.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare junk food to crack, all things considered.


Comparing it to alcohol would work, though. A reasonable amount of alcohol or junk food rarely causes trouble, but too much of one or the other has undeniable problems.



blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,448

18 Sep 2019, 7:03 pm

Obesity is not simple. I don't like reading posters saying that it is all an individual's fault. I'm not all for fat being celebrated, but I do favor treating people with respect regardless of their size.

There are economic, metabolic, genetic, and medications that can cause obesity. Also chronic illnesses. Sure, not everyone has an excuse, but we don't know for any given person what the cause might be.

Let's be grateful for what health we may have and not scorn those who are obese, ill, or unwell in any manner.


_________________
Eyes that watch the morning star
usually shine brighter,
Arms held out to dark they say,
usually hold tighter.


Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich


blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,448

18 Sep 2019, 7:04 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
Finally, I also don't watch videos, not because of sensory issues, but because I can absorb the relevant points in a fraction of the time it takes someone to give a speech about it. I just cannot stand the wasted time and boredom listening to a video. If you have to refer to a video, you probably don't have the concepts down solidly.


How interesting, I thought I was the only one :lol: The fluff, gesticulation and all the "like me", "relate to me" theatrics also annoy and bore me, but it mostly boils down to not wanting to spend 15 minutes on something I could read in less than 5! I'll take a legit scientific study or paper (how about a book even?) over some dude ranting on YouTube every time :twisted:


:D :D :D


_________________
Eyes that watch the morning star
usually shine brighter,
Arms held out to dark they say,
usually hold tighter.


Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich


xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 26
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,338
Location: Thra

19 Sep 2019, 9:00 am

blazingstar wrote:
Obesity is not simple. I don't like reading posters saying that it is all an individual's fault. I'm not all for fat being celebrated, but I do favor treating people with respect regardless of their size.

There are economic, metabolic, genetic, and medications that can cause obesity. Also chronic illnesses. Sure, not everyone has an excuse, but we don't know for any given person what the cause might be.

Let's be grateful for what health we may have and not scorn those who are obese, ill, or unwell in any manner.


Previous medications and genetics are a big part of my weight. I aim to lose to 180 because my doctor says that is my most realistic weight based on those factors.


_________________
"A teenage vow in a parking lot, 'til tonight do us part
I sing the blues and swallow them too..."


The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Aug 2015
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,858
Location: Australia

19 Sep 2019, 6:16 pm

Fireblossom wrote:
The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
Rainbow_Belle wrote:
Big Food companies are solely to blame for this big problem of growing rates of obesity. What must be done is that governments must regulate and impose taxes that make unhealthy foods more expensive and make healthy foods cheaper. Sugar taxes have been imposed in Europe and are working to lower the rates of obesity.

Yeah, crack's illegal because it's addictive and it kills people. Meanwhile we have killer food that's designed for addiction.

I think it's a bit of a stretch to compare junk food to crack, all things considered.


Comparing it to alcohol would work, though. A reasonable amount of alcohol or junk food rarely causes trouble, but too much of one or the other has undeniable problems.

I would agree with this. I think we need to teach people how to ration properly so as to not over-indulge. I also think that most addictions are related to mental health issues, so maybe we need psychological interventions earlier so people don't get addicted. Difficult to know how to make that work though.



blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,448

19 Sep 2019, 7:26 pm

xxZeromancerlovexx wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
Obesity is not simple. I don't like reading posters saying that it is all an individual's fault. I'm not all for fat being celebrated, but I do favor treating people with respect regardless of their size.

There are economic, metabolic, genetic, and medications that can cause obesity. Also chronic illnesses. Sure, not everyone has an excuse, but we don't know for any given person what the cause might be.

Let's be grateful for what health we may have and not scorn those who are obese, ill, or unwell in any manner.


Previous medications and genetics are a big part of my weight. I aim to lose to 180 because my doctor says that is my most realistic weight based on those factors.


With all the emphasis on life style changes in regards to health, genetics controls most of an individual's health. Life style gets emphasized because it is the only thing we can change. We can't change our genetics.

In addition, these recommended life style changes are based on population studies. In other words, X% of people improve their blood pressure with Z amount of exercise. It doesn't mean that any individual person can achieve those results

What may be an easy diet or exercise plan for one person, may be nearly impossible for another.

I wish you good luck and support in your efforts. :heart:


_________________
Eyes that watch the morning star
usually shine brighter,
Arms held out to dark they say,
usually hold tighter.


Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich


League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 23,689
Location: Pacific Northwest

20 Sep 2019, 9:02 am

It's all calories in and calories out but most people don't know their TDEE and 2,000 calories a day is not accurate because everyone has a different TDEE level. If you work a job as a teacher or as a doctor or nurse or construction worker, you are going to need more calories than someone who works front desk or works a desk job or someone who is in a wheelchair.

I eat more than my husband no s**t and am thin while he is fat but that is because I move around more than he does. I work out 5 times a week and I work my job for four hours and that is a lot of steps I take at work. My husband, he just sits at his computer and he only goes to the kitchen or on the back porch and that is it. He really doesn't eat much and he is still fat but is still losing weight slowly because he doesn't eat much and he can't eat much anyway due to always having upset stomachs.

And everyone's body is different so we all absorb the nutrients differently and sugar differently in our system. I once saw a science video on youtube explaining why can people stay thin while some stay fat and the answer was a thin person has a large size milkshake and a large sized meal, her fat friend has the exact same meal too and the same size. They eat it all. Dinner time comes and the thin girl only has a little snack while the fat friend has a normal meal like she normally would. Why? Because the fat friend feels hungry at her next meal while the thin friend is still full from her previous meal because of how her body absorbs the food so she still has that full feeling.

When people blame their weight on genetics and medical conditions, they probably mean how their body absorbs food like I explained in the story above. When they blame it on medical conditions, they probably mean they can't get enough exercise because their movement is limited and when it is blamed on pills, it is because the side affect of the pills can make you more hungry so you eat more. I knew someone who had to eat each time he took his pills or else he would have very bad diarrhea and a painful one. He would have chips every time he took his pills and I tried suggesting he have an apple instead or have grapes but he claimed those would not fill him up. Well chips are not a filling either and they go through your system fast and you will be hungry sooner and plus it releases endorphines in your brain making you want more.


So overall it's because people have more calories than their body needs so they are overweight as a result. It takes willpower and self self discipline and learn to eat on schedule than listening to your stomach. It's like a kid always wanting sweets and desserts and the parent has to tell them no and not feed them every time they say they are hungry. Mine mom sure didn't.


_________________
I have a quilt of labels. I had a language disorder and a speech disorder. Then communication disorder NOS. My other diagnoses have been Language Processing disorder, dyspraxia, SPD, OCD, ADD, Asperger’s, anxiety disorder, adjustment disorder, anorexia nervosa. My mom’s labels of me are: eating disorder, anorexia, social anxiety, PTSD, just being sensitive and having the victim complex when I was a kid. And of course she says I’m normal and says the only thing I had as a child was language. Huh? I must have been a shitty person then and maybe a difficult child I was who had to be labeled because of incompetent school staff and mean kids who didn’t accept differences and because I was trying to be “normal.” :/

My blog: https://mynoneabdlthoughts.wordpress.com/


green0star
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Apr 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,323
Location: blah

19 Oct 2019, 6:07 pm

League_Girl wrote:
When people blame their weight on genetics and medical conditions, they probably mean how their body absorbs food like I explained in the story above. When they blame it on medical conditions, they probably mean they can't get enough exercise because their movement is limited and when it is blamed on pills, it is because the side affect of the pills can make you more hungry so you eat more. I knew someone who had to eat each time he took his pills or else he would have very bad diarrhea and a painful one. He would have chips every time he took his pills and I tried suggesting he have an apple instead or have grapes but he claimed those would not fill him up. Well chips are not a filling either and they go through your system fast and you will be hungry sooner and plus it releases endorphines in your brain making you want more.


The part about the pills is very accurate and something that a lot of people don't really think about so much. Though as far as being genetic, I am the only one in my family who doesn't have a weight problem and was always the smallest in my family. Though what people also seem to get mixed up is one's "thinness" with being healthy. I had a lot of problems in my youth and many of them were diet related even though I did not have a weight problem.



Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

Joined: 18 Jan 2017
Gender: Female
Posts: 1,572

Yesterday, 3:48 am

green0star wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
When people blame their weight on genetics and medical conditions, they probably mean how their body absorbs food like I explained in the story above. When they blame it on medical conditions, they probably mean they can't get enough exercise because their movement is limited and when it is blamed on pills, it is because the side affect of the pills can make you more hungry so you eat more. I knew someone who had to eat each time he took his pills or else he would have very bad diarrhea and a painful one. He would have chips every time he took his pills and I tried suggesting he have an apple instead or have grapes but he claimed those would not fill him up. Well chips are not a filling either and they go through your system fast and you will be hungry sooner and plus it releases endorphines in your brain making you want more.


The part about the pills is very accurate and something that a lot of people don't really think about so much. Though as far as being genetic, I am the only one in my family who doesn't have a weight problem and was always the smallest in my family. Though what people also seem to get mixed up is one's "thinness" with being healthy. I had a lot of problems in my youth and many of them were diet related even though I did not have a weight problem.


Is that how it goes? I mean certain meds are said to raise the chances of becoming over weight, I used to have a medication like that, and I always thought it was directly some incredient in the meds themselves that increased the risk of becoming over weight, but was it actually about the medicine making one's appetite rise? What about cortisone? My mom uses that (she has no other choice if she wants to stay as a part of society) and it makes her swollen... or is the weight gain from cortisone just fluids?