Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2019, 5:48 pm

I'm forever stuck in "which diagnosis, if any, have I got?" (depending on the day ADHD or ASD looks more likely ahah)

this video is quite helpful. I follow both channels :D

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 2:10 am

Do you have trouble concentrating when you want to? Note, this is a big difference from not wanting to do something and losing interest. I mean do you have trouble concentrating on things you want to be concentrating on?

Also, do you experience sound, visual, textural, taste, or other sensitivity issues?

I don't really experience problems with concentration, and I have a lot of sensory issues. To me those were always the big two reasons why I thought I was misdiagnosed with ADHD as a kid, when it should have been ASD.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 5:52 am

Fern wrote:
I mean do you have trouble concentrating on things you want to be concentrating on?

no but I take ages to get started. The condition needs to be perfect. Once I'm into something I work away for hours. (e.g. drawing). However, if I'm not interested it is very hard to maintain attention and I'll procrastinate (do my hobbies or watch videos etc). I failed my first degree because I spent more time writing music than studying Arabic. That is not very ADHD behaviour right?

Fern wrote:
Also, do you experience sound, visual, textural, taste, or other sensitivity issues?

yes but not as much as some people here I think? Also I struggle with this question because it's to do with perception and I don't know what levels are considered normal. But let's just say, if there is a bad smell in the house (my flat mate fries a lot ugh) I don't go in the kitchen for a couple days until the smell has gone and leave my wondow open. I think the smell is really bad tho, anyone would do that. However, at work I noticed the room smelt bad and no one did. Turns out there was a dead rat on the opposite side of the room which I could smell. soo, maybe I'm slightly more sensitive but I don't think it's that bad.

ps if it turns out I only have ADHD I hope I'm still welcome here ^-^ you lot are fun to talk to

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:44 am

DSM 5 allows for one to have both diagnosis concurrently.
I know the package of paperwork from when I received my diagnosis five years ago specified that both labels were relevant for me.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:49 am

Gallia wrote:
Fern wrote:
I mean do you have trouble concentrating on things you want to be concentrating on?

no but I take ages to get started. The condition needs to be perfect. Once I'm into something I work away for hours. (e.g. drawing). However, if I'm not interested it is very hard to maintain attention and I'll procrastinate (do my hobbies or watch videos etc). I failed my first degree because I spent more time writing music than studying Arabic. That is not very ADHD behaviour right?

That sounds like me, generally I describe it on getting distracted by the elements of whatever it is I'm attempting to do. Like, I'm still 'on-topic' so to speak, but I'm not accomplishing anything, it's either 'metawork' or preparation for work, or similar.

Since both ASD and ADHD impact executive function, struggles with executive function don't really help inform 'differential diagnostics' well.

Stuff like sensory issues and impairments in social functioning are more likely to help with deciding if it's one or the other, unless it's actually both in which case trying to separate them is just another distraction.

Watching liberals try to solve societal problems without a systemic critique/class consciousness is like watching someone in the dark try to flip on the light switch, but they keep turning on the garbage disposal instead.
戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 7:17 am

funeralxempire wrote:
Stuff like sensory issues and impairments in social functioning are more likely to help with deciding if it's one or the other, unless it's actually both in which case trying to separate them is just another distraction.

From what I understand, both ADHD and ASD affect sensory and social functioning but in different ways. ADHD are more prone to indiscriminatory chit chat but also one doesn't understand boundaries and will say inappropriate things without meaning to. With ASD as I understand there is more inward looking and internal monologue but one may say inappropriate things not out of impulsivity but because they lack understanding of the rules of conversations (am I right?).

This is actually confusing to me because I display traits from both. I think personality might have something to do with it. I may just have ADHD but be unusually self reflective and inward looking. So that's why I relate well with both people with ADHD and ASD.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 7:20 am

funeralxempire wrote:
I know the package of paperwork from when I received my diagnosis five years ago specified that both labels were relevant for me.

I finally found a GP who is willing to refer me for re assessment ^-^ I am happy because I need help with my identity and, though a diagnosis is only part of it, it would help me find the right help.

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 7:25 am

Gallia wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

I finally found a GP who is willing to refer me for re assessment ^-^ I am happy because I need help with my identity and, though a diagnosis is only part of it, it would help me find the right help.

At the very least it helps clarify what questions you'll likely need to ask to get further help.

I know how confusing it is when there's a few potential labels that seem relevant, especially since professionals I've worked with often seem to fall into the 'throw 2 labels at you, every symptom deserves it's own diagnosis' types and the 'well, this is the silver bullet, you don't need any further answers' types.

戦争ではなく戦争と戦う

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 7:31 pm

funeralxempire wrote:
Gallia wrote:
funeralxempire wrote:

At the very least it helps clarify what questions you'll likely need to ask to get further help.

I know how confusing it is when there's a few potential labels that seem relevant, especially since professionals I've worked with often seem to fall into the 'throw 2 labels at you, every symptom deserves it's own diagnosis' types and the 'well, this is the silver bullet, you don't need any further answers' types.

exactly! the worse thing they could do is give me a personality disorder which wouldn't be correct knowing the "trajectory" of my "oddness" which started in childhood and comes from an intellectual/sensory point of view rather than one of trauma (as tends to be the case if you are borderline etc). In the end, they diagnosed me with ADHD when I was referred by my tutor to a learning disability centre but prior to that I had never considered ADHD. Actually, when I was 17 I briefly considered that I had ASD but didn't push the idea because I read that people with Autism couldn't have empathy (wrong) and I have a lot of it in my own way. Also the fact that I excel at art/music/literature type subjects but am terrible w science/maths etc seemed to go against the stereotypes. Last year I read this article with a list of common traits among adult women with Aspergers and it clicked instantly with me. If that's what it is like to have Aspergers as a woman, I sure as hell have it, I thought. I mean, I couldn't describe myself better!

here it is for reference:
https://taniaannmarshall.wordpress.com/ ... -syndrome/