Love island makes me look ugly and 'undateable'

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 5:32 am

I don't watch that show but when I've seen on tv adverts or commercials it makes me feel quite self conscious of my body and the way I look, I mean I'm 6ft tall but medium built with thin arms. I'm not muscular and I can't be asked to go to a gym really it's not my thing and seem to every other young person I see walking past is watching it and building them selves because of it. I don't even like that show the undateables really where it helps people with autism, Aspergers etc to find love and the title implies that people like me are 'undateable' and NT people won't date them because think they look ugly, behave oddly etc

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 6:16 am

Being 6 feet tall is definitely a “plus.”

I’m 5 foot 5, and know my height can be a “minus” if I ever allow it to be a “minus”.

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 3:08 pm

Dude, those shows make the majority of people look sub par.

They aren't realistic standards for people, just a small group. But beautiful people sell better than average. It's just marketing, don't get caught up by it.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 3:17 pm

I hate Love Island, even though I've never watched it. But I still know what it's about and it just annoys me. I had to unfollow a friend on Facebook because she kept posting Love Island memes and stuff (she seems pretty obsessed with the show), and I just felt like replying "nobody gives a s**t about that sad show", but obviously I didn't because I suppose she has a right to like the show. Thankfully more people I know hate the show, so I don't feel alone there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 3:21 pm

It's a "reality show"-----they're all "fake" to me.....

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2019, 3:31 pm

Last time I watched Love Island it was the second series of TOWIE.

(at least Gemma was fat though)

I assume they're just as stupid and pointless. Not great role models.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 6:39 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Being 6 feet tall is definitely a “plus.”

I’m 5 foot 5, and know my height can be a “minus” if I ever allow it to be a “minus”.

Unless you live in South Korea, or perhaps even the Amazon Rain forest with the Pygmies
then your tall.... all relative.... bit like sizes of parts...

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2019, 6:46 pm

Yes. Love Island full of beautiful people who were either bred to be beautiful or who, like a high percentage of the perfect celebrities that we all worship as the master face, actually weren't born perfect, but mostly looked fairly average but who's wealthy parents have paid them to have plastic surgery to make them look perfect.

In some cases, of course, there are some who are simply naturally perfect looking.
But such people are a lot rarer. Perhaps also created through the process of wealthy people
with average looks mating with super good looking partners (mostly woman)
who may not necessarily come from wealthy backgrounds, but get married to wealthy partners
due to their wealth.

Its kind of a natural selection Eugenics program. Breeding for superior looks.
What i find interesting in this program is not how they look, but how clueless and superficial many of them are.
Quiet a few are nightmares, even if beautiful. Especially the drama queens. Others, are completely clueless and ignorant about normal life. Oh what it must be like to be so wealthy from birth and treat all people as inferior.
(not that i would ever want to do that....)

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 6:53 am

A television program that pushes the dictate that you are not good enough as you are is an advertiser's dream, and

the adverts are how the programs make money. If you can't be convinced you're not good enough as you are you

aren't going to spend money on their solutions to making you worthy ie weight loss pills, lip fillers, gym

memberships, lash extensions, designer labels.

Nobody likes you? they would if your teeth were whiter, or you were wearing our aftershave, or if they knew you

owned one of our amazingly cool cars*. If you watch it again study the adverts, they will tell you who the

advertisers think are watching the program.

I'm not much on reality but I do watch Botched sometimes and it makes me feel content with my lot. It's usually

ordinary people have been persuaded to have pointless plastic surgery and it's gone wrong and the surgeons on

botched make it a bit better. Moral = If it works, leave it alone.

*This car will cost you 1000% of the price listed and you will never actually own it.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 8:55 am

I agree. A lot of these people are fake good-looking. I always wonder how much plastic surgery they have had. Some of them don't look that great, either. They look rather freakish with their lip enhancers. Some of them look as if they'd been stung by a mob of angry bees.

rowan_nichol
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 10:05 am

I think we shpuld re-title this thread as "Love Island makes its contestants look air headed spoilt and shallow brats."

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 10:09 am

I saw the ads for it, but will not waste my time watching it. The only way they could get me to actually sit down/consider viewing it would be if a certain “Doctor Moreau” was to show up to “fix” them.

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Jul 2019, 1:56 pm

I always think of these kinds of people of sort of hyper-neurotypical. They are not normal NT's. Everything about them, all their NT traits, are exagerated and off the scale.

Learn from them how NOT to be.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 2:08 pm

chris1989 wrote:
I don't watch that show but when I've seen on tv adverts or commercials it makes me feel quite self conscious of my body and the way I look, I mean I'm 6ft tall but medium built with thin arms. I'm not muscular and I can't be asked to go to a gym really it's not my thing and seem to every other young person I see walking past is watching it and building them selves because of it. I don't even like that show the undateables really where it helps people with autism, Aspergers etc to find love and the title implies that people like me are 'undateable' and NT people won't date them because think they look ugly, behave oddly etc

I don't know what Love Island is, I don't want to know...that sounds like one of those dumb tabloidy/reality shows, just the name makes me cringe so I am sure I wouldn't like it.

That said, I did see a couple episodes of 'undateables' on youtube and I didn't think that was bad, it was kind of interesting.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 12:15 am

rowan_nichol wrote:
I think we shpuld re-title this thread as "Love Island makes its contestants look air headed spoilt and shallow brats."

That's what I was thinking.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 12:17 am

The name of the show should be changed to Lust Island.