Why do autistic people on this site like 4chan?

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 3:56 am

Id think a place dedicated to making fun of people with developmental disorders+anyone they deem looking ugly would be unappealing to autist people on this site. But I recently saw a topic where members of this site were glorifying 4chan I just don't get it. Like why would anyone here support that sort of garbage...I mean hell I even got on the a** of a left wing group loosely supporting Berni Sanders because they kept just posting toxic s**t about all of the right I actually stood up and said that was inappropriate and that they should instead try to draw people into the cause instead of ostracising everyone we don't quite agree with.

I mean I would like some middle ground between the left and right....without people here treating 4chan like some kind of heroic truth site. 4chan is just a place for online bullying, surely people here can oppose over done/excessive PC crap without supporting such a disgusting site as 4chan, but maybe I am wrong. I just wouldn't think people here would be so into a site that regularly makes fun of intellectually disabled people or anyone they deem to be unattractive .

I mean you can be both opposed to overdoing Political correctness...and against sites specifically dedicated to bullying people did you know. Like do you autistic people supporting that garbage realize half the time that those 4chan as*hole are bullying others who may have autism. Like what do you think they are joking about when they talk about 'ret*d' people.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

07 Jul 2019, 10:01 am

I used to go to 4chan to see & DL fake pix of celebrities :mrgreen: I never paid much attention to comments or anything else there & I haven't been there in like 10 years so things probably are not the same there now.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 10:57 am

Are you referring to ALL autistic people on this sight, or just a few misguided people?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 3:31 pm

That's just disgusting trash! I even stopped going on a tennis site because they kept using terms like "ret*d" and even "autistic" to describe tennis players and people who were fans of certain disliked players. They also used derogatory nicknames. If I disagreed with a player's bad sportsmanship, I would call him or her out by their proper names. In a backhanded (pun intended) way, not using a player's proper name misses the point of making a person accountable for bad behavior. It doesn't address the poor sportsmanship and generates more internet bullying.

I for one couldn't stand Djokovic making fun of other players in his early career and his politician-like behavior later on. He is still not my favorite player, but I have to admit his on court work is excellent. He has matured quite a bit as an athlete.

I could, and do, name a lot of players whose sportsmanship leaves a lot to be desired.

A digression here, but words like "ret*d" and autism, misapplied, are nasty.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 8:16 pm

I've heard of the site but I've never been on it and have no desire to. So....count at least ONE person on WP who doesn't "like 4chan".

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2019, 8:39 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Id think a place dedicated to making fun of people with developmental disorders+anyone they deem looking ugly would be unappealing to autist people on this site. But I recently saw a topic where members of this site were glorifying 4chan I just don't get it. Like why would anyone here support that sort of garbage...I mean hell I even got on the a** of a left wing group loosely supporting Berni Sanders because they kept just posting toxic s**t about all of the right I actually stood up and said that was inappropriate and that they should instead try to draw people into the cause instead of ostracising everyone we don't quite agree with.

I mean I would like some middle ground between the left and right....without people here treating 4chan like some kind of heroic truth site. 4chan is just a place for online bullying, surely people here can oppose over done/excessive PC crap without supporting such a disgusting site as 4chan, but maybe I am wrong. I just wouldn't think people here would be so into a site that regularly makes fun of intellectually disabled people or anyone they deem to be unattractive.

I mean you can be both opposed to overdoing Political correctness...and against sites specifically dedicated to bullying people did you know. Like do you autistic people supporting that garbage realize half the time that those 4chan as*hole are bullying others who may have autism. Like what do you think they are joking about when they talk about 'ret*d' people.

I don't have an opinion about 4chan or making fun of people either way. There used to be another forum called Retrojunk that I posted on which many of the members posted similar things. Even though the forum had been abandoned for six years and just recently crashed for good.

Even that forum seemed a little more tame compared to 4chan.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 1:31 am

Never been there.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 2:55 am

The only time I bothered to look at it, which was a few years ago, it didn't interest me.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 3:29 am

I think your real question is "Why don't everyone hate this thing I hate as much as I do?"

The answer, of course, will wary. But key to the issue is probably that it's not "specifically dedicated to bullying people" or "a place dedicated to making fun of people with developmental disorders". Groups that have done these things have used 4chan as a meeting ground, but then the same thing could be said about, say, Facebook.
Furthermore, I don't think recognizing that some of the things that have come out of 4chan have been utterly hilarious to watch is quite the same as "glorifying" the site as a whole. You don't have to like it, but you don't have moral high-ground over people who don't hate it as much as you do.

Besides, 4chan tracked down and brought to justice that girl who gleefully killed a litter of puppies by tossing them into a river one by one, so that's a thing.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 4:11 am

Given the popularity of the r-word on this forum I am not really that surprised.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 4:35 am

I doubt there are more than a very few people on WP who like 4chan.

Never been on it myself.

Seems like a bunch of garbage to me.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 5:00 am

Seems like it would be a good place to get infected with malware.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jul 2019, 6:22 am

EzraS wrote:
I never had a problem but I just stuck to DLing images.

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing the word Autistic being used as a slang word for Troll there. The mods not only condoned that usage, they would even go so far as to call trolls Autistic themselves. I don't like that usage but I don't have the hatred of it that Sweetleaf & some other autistics understandable have. I started a post 1ce on this forum talking about the word Autistic becoming a slang word for Troll(I don't remember what I titled that thread). 4chan was one of the places that inspired me to make the post but I had seen that kind of usage on other sites too thou. I think I saw that usage on 4chan before I noticed it on other sites but the problem of using Autism as an insult is becoming much bigger than 4chan now thou it wouldn't surprise me if that usage 1st originated on 4chan. I'm not sure what us as a community can do about this thou. The only thing I can think of is us pushing to have the word Autism changed to something else like how the word ret*d used to be used as an official diagnoses but is now only used as an insult.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 8:02 am

nick007 wrote:
EzraS wrote:
I never had a problem but I just stuck to DLing images.

Come to think of it, I do remember seeing the word Autistic being used as a slang word for Troll there. The mods not only condoned that usage, they would even go so far as to call trolls Autistic themselves. I don't like that usage but I don't have the hatred of it that Sweetleaf & some other autistics understandable have. I started a post 1ce on this forum talking about the word Autistic becoming a slang word for Troll(I don't remember what I titled that thread). 4chan was one of the places that inspired me to make the post but I had seen that kind of usage on other sites too thou. I think I saw that usage on 4chan before I noticed it on other sites but the problem of using Autism as an insult is becoming much bigger than 4chan now thou it wouldn't surprise me if that usage 1st originated on 4chan. I'm not sure what us as a community can do about this thou. The only thing I can think of is us pushing to have the word Autism changed to something else like how the word ret*d used to be used as an official diagnoses but is now only used as an insult.

The irony is that as a group, those on the spectrum have an above average I.Q.
But try explaining that to the NT kids who are trying to be insulting.

I've played around 20 years of Multi-player First Person Shooter games, and many of the players are human sociopathic feces who talk and act like that.
Doesn't stop me playing though.

Developing a thick-skin might be the best way to handle the situation.
And the dumb kids only make fools of themselves.

Ignore the little sh*ts. <shrug>
Or just don't go there. <shrug some more>
But don't let the trolls win by letting them affect your emotional balance.

You respond with anger and that gives them the sense of power bullies and buffoons crave.
It's a power trip for them which gives them a serotonin rush a la Jorden Peterson style.
They are simple-minded anti-social junkies who are captives of their primitive instincts. :roll:

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 11:15 am

I've never been to 4chan, but from what I've read about it, it sounds like a giant virtual Petri dish that the internet uses for breeding trolls, cyberbullies, complete idiots. So I have no plans to go there, ever.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 11:23 am

I never bothered with that site. I looked at it once and it looked a mess and I don't like how it's laid out.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.