Horror movies these days are not very scary

Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Bradleigh
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 10:38 pm

I watch quite a few horror movies, and like to think that I have a good idea of the genre, that I watch quite a few analytical videos of horror movies.

Not everyone is scared of the same thing, and if you are not scared you maybe are not watching the type that goes by your fears, or you are maybe desensitized yet maybe still spooked by a movie from a certain period that brings you back to that time.

I just the other day watched the new Anabelle movie (Anabelle Comes Home), and I can say that it spooked me. I had heard some negative review about it being expected jump scares only, but I think that it did a good job in building the tension that hit the right notes. I do think that The Conjuring 2 was possibly the best in building up increasing tension, even managing to make the daytime feel like not a safety from the tension. And I think even The Nun had its well use of spooky environments.

I could just link some scary scenes from movies, but a lot of them build off of the tension already crafted in the movie, and things like building an empathetic connection to the characters. Which if you have become really desensitized, you may not let yourself do such with a horror movie. Even if I can think of the nun painting scene in Conjuring 2 as a particularly strong scene. Some of the best horror movies I have seen were ones that managed to make an immersive experience, such as with the movie Hereditary, where you would have to have been in the cinema to get things like a particular sound coming from a specific speaker and raised the scariness of putting you into the scene. And also the movies that do things like releasing the low sound as to give you a feeling of oppression that could be practically subconscious if you are not familiar, as to heighten the experience of certain scenes.

But there is also movies that do different things. There was a particular hidden gem I found a while back called Black Mountain Side, which had the isolating setting kind of like The Thing, but did madness and oppressive unseen forces in a way that I think was particularly strong. And it would really only work if you let yourself get drawn in by the feeling of isolation and uncertainty.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 4:51 am

Yet this YouTube video always gives me the creeps.

https://youtu.be/PEikGKDVsCc

darkwaver
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2019, 8:19 pm

I find most horror movies silly and boring, or just gross. The movie that really got to me for some reason, years ago, was Twin Peaks Fire Walk With Me. Not a horror movie but it creeped me out.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 5:02 pm

I don't watch a lot of horror movies, but (even though I'll get a lot of heat for this), I liked the Halloween movie that was released last year.

IMO, it didn't rely on over-the-top gore, but instead on dread and tension.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 6:16 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
I don't watch a lot of horror movies, but (even though I'll get a lot of heat for this), I liked the Halloween movie that was released last year.

IMO, it didn't rely on over-the-top gore, but instead on dread and tension.

Not a thing wrong with that.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 2:01 am

I like some Horror Movies not the gruesome ones but I sat through Poltergeist and enjoyed it and Stephen King's IT looking forward to the second part coming here soon.
I saw "The Shining" years ago it was scary but it didn't give me nightmares, Going to see "Annabelle comes home" tomorrow.
Watched the original "Child's play" films even though they were a bit gory, I do think they shouldn't keep doing remakes .

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 4:28 am

I do not get actually scared by movies. But I like the suspense aspect of some of them.

I liked the Exorcist because it was done so seriously. To me it was creepy rather than scary and also had the element of being a mystery. I found the detective trying to solve the murder of a character to be one of my favorite aspects. And the doctors trying figure it out.

Most of the ones I like have that aspect to them. Characters trying to solve what is going on and the suspense aspect. And the movie having aspects of surrealism is good too.

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 4:39 am

EzraS wrote:
I do not get actually scared by movies. But I like the suspense aspect of some of them.

I liked the Exorcist because it was done so seriously. To me it was creepy rather than scary and also had the element of being a mystery. I found the detective trying to solve the murder of a character to be one of my favorite aspects. And the doctors trying figure it out.

Most of the ones I like have that aspect to them. Characters trying to solve what is going on and the suspense aspect. And the movie having aspects of surrealism is good too.

Yes a good movie is one with a good storyline that keeps you wanting to find out what happens next.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 3:49 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
That's precisely why I love horror movies. They're NOT scary, and the cheesiness of them helps distract me from the real horrors of this world like war, crime, and disease

There are plenty of things to be correctly afraid of

Getting sued
Homeless
Disease and disability
Rape, blue collar crime
Getting framed for a felony and sent to jail

Especially because autistics tend not to have friends to "help" cope

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 4:18 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
That's precisely why I love horror movies. They're NOT scary, and the cheesiness of them helps distract me from the real horrors of this world like war, crime, and disease

There are plenty of things to be correctly afraid of

Getting sued
Homeless
Disease and disability
Rape, blue collar crime
Getting framed for a felony and sent to jail

Especially because autistics tend not to have friends to "help" cope

How about white collar crime? Them bastards often get off easy for destroying lives when they hire good lawyers...

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

1stSauce
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2019, 11:29 am

I'm more into comedy horror like the Scary Movie series or Tucker & Dale Vs. Evil

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 6:40 pm

Movies that can fit into the "sci-fi horror" vein are IMO, just like regular horror films that rely on tension, but sometimes add gore to slowly build dread.

One example is The Cube Trilogy. I watched all three films (Cube, Hypercube, Cube Zero) and had to look away many times because of the gore.

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm

Personally i think what is happening all over the planet
in real life is generally more scary than most those movies... (anyone seen my ex-wife on a full moon.... lol)...

although....
in some cases the movies are related to this.

This is a conspiracy theory that is referred to as "Mimetic Magic"
where you have wealthy, powerful, corrupt and delusional film directors and their cohorts
(such as Roman Polanski) make a film where loads of bad things happen to x
and then after the film is released, the same people orchestrate in one way or another
for what happens in the film to happen in real life (to some extent).

Its all very bizarre, and some type of underground entertainment industry thing
that is kept between the clique of co conspirators, the "illuminati" or what ever you want to call them...

but you know what, no magic involved, unless you classify bribery with large amounts of cash and other items
as magic... just a load of rich kids abusing the innocent again, murdering those who have started to gain popularity
but who do not come from their fascist upbringing (27 club)...

but that's rock and roll for you, or perhaps whats ruined rock and roll. sadly.
Personally i really don't like all the theft, murder of innocents, framing the innocents etc.

especially when it is people who already have more money and power than they will ever need...
but never mind
"that's entertainment"... for you...