Page 2 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 6:16 am

OP has the spelling wrong. It's prosopagnosia. I did an assignment on it at uni many years ago though, so maybe the spelling has changed?

Once I couldn't find my mum in a supermarket because I forgot what she was wearing. In the end she found me, thankfully.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 6:22 am

that happens to me too often also when i'm supposed to meet somebody some place, i often don't recognize them because they look so similar to me, to the other people at the place i was supposed to meet them. i guess my specific person recognition module in my brain is not what it ought to be.

languagehopper
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Jul 2019, 11:13 am

I never know if I know people or not. They talk to me and I haven't a clue who they are. I am much more likely to recognise a voice. Part of this is because I don't actually look at faces but not all of it. When I am watching TV I have difficulty telling one character from another even when I do deliberately look at their faces (which is easier to do when they can't look back). It is similar to the way I can't tell one car from another. But oddly I can tell rabbits apart easily. And I can read their moods too. Their faces are quite expressive and very individual. Of course I have no anxieties about them looking at me and can see them in three dimensions unlike tv.
I actually spent ages online once looking at a photo that I thought might be my son trying to decide if it was or not. It wasn't. And someone asked me where the lady in glasses was and I didn't know who they meant despite working with the woman in glasses every day for ages. I hadn't even registered the glasses! Or that her hair was short. And I don't notice when people gets haircuts. Context is everything, without it there are few people I would recognise. And I think I traumatised my severely austistic son when he was a toddler by cutting my hair. I honestly don't think he knew who I was after that. One mother disappeared and another replaced her as far as he was concerned:( He used to wrap my hair around his fist and chew it which I hated as it pulled and hurt and was always sticky but I felt really guilty afterwards.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 11:27 am

When young, and even now, I was really glad that my Mum rarely ever wore much make up and didn't dye her hair. It would have made life soo much more difficult to find my Mum...

One thing that would be very useful though, if I had a girlfriend and she did something to look unique somehow like dying her hair pink. I know it sounds extreme, but it would help! Though maybe it is not a good idea? Umm. Well. I could find her in a crowd so I would not panic so much. I am single so I don't need to be concerned... :) Was just me thinking...

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 11:32 am

I'm heck sure that prosopagnosia has something to do with processing faces and not, say, memory and attention issues in which is my current problem in general and not just about faces.

One of which thought I have prosopagnosia only because I couldn't remember what those people looked like and more so couldn't remember their names -- therefore my work around resembles like how those with prosopagnosia does, relying on something else to recognize the person.
Except that didn't worked well either. Because my issues is more to do with processing and memory than processing faces specifically.

If I do have prosopagnosia, then how the heck do I still recognize everyone I knew over 10 years ago no problem, including those I barely ever met and those I've only seen a handful of times. Yet couldn't do the same towards those I've met more recently, even those I've seen eye to eye almost everyday until now?!

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

epilanthanomai
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Jul 2019, 1:59 pm

I officiate roller derby. There are skaters I've seen at games every month for the last eight years--and for some of those months I saw them multiple times a week. But I see them on the track, in a helmet, with a unique number on their jersey, in skates that add 2 inches to their height.

I don't go to many events outside of the games, but when I do, the skaters are in street clothes, without helmets or numbers, and shorter because they're not wearing their skates. As far as I'm concerned these events are full of complete strangers, because I hardly recognize any of them.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2019, 3:02 pm

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
^^^mebbe if you dressed them and groomed them alike, there might be a bit of confusion.

They already wore the same uniform. You and I would never confuse them. Like most folks we would read their faces as being of "not even the same race!". But to a Martian they would be hard to tell apart. And to folks from earth who lack that brain circuitry to lock onto faces they might look alike.

uniform ain't enough, if you made them up the same and gave 'em the same haircut, that would be more of a challenge. that was my situation in the army and civil service. :oops:

Were talking past each other.

My point is the humans seem to have a special piece of brain circuitry that zeros in on human faces. That's why somone who is balding looks like they have a forehead five feet tall. Because to most people face standout as being more than just part of the landscape. Faces just leap out as being bigger, and more important.

So to most of us it would seem ridiculous to confuse Sulu and Checkov. They weren't eve of the same race.

But if you could some how "think out of the box" and for a moment see everying, including tiny human faces, as being just part of the landscape, then I can see how it would be hard to tall Checkov from Sulua because they were the same young age, had a very similar haircuts, and had black hair. And am guessing that folks with the condition lack that special circuitry and that's why that cant tell human faces apart.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2019, 4:11 am

naturalplastic wrote:
My point is the humans seem to have a special piece of brain circuitry that zeros in on human faces. But if you could some how "think out of the box" and for a moment see everying, including tiny human faces, as being just part of the landscape, then I can see how it would be hard to tall Checkov from Sulua because they were the same young age, had a very similar haircuts, and had black hair. And am guessing that folks with the condition lack that special circuitry and that's why that cant tell human faces apart.

i seem to lack that special circuitry and in addition also i have some trouble telling people apart on the phone.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 2:21 am

auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
My point is the humans seem to have a special piece of brain circuitry that zeros in on human faces. But if you could some how "think out of the box" and for a moment see everying, including tiny human faces, as being just part of the landscape, then I can see how it would be hard to tall Checkov from Sulua because they were the same young age, had a very similar haircuts, and had black hair. And am guessing that folks with the condition lack that special circuitry and that's why that cant tell human faces apart.

i seem to lack that special circuitry and in addition also i have some trouble telling people apart on the phone.

Really?

Interesting.

Thats one trait (associated with autism) that I don't seem to have.

In fact when watching TV with mom ..and a famous actress would appear on a ad or in cameo I would nonchalantly say "that's so and so". Mom would say it is "NOT so and so, are you crazy?". But then she would stare at the screen, and then say "OMG! you're RIGHT! It IS so and so. Im not used to seeing her done up that way."

So apparently I must be pretty good at faces -especially if they are attractive members of the opposite sex.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 2:25 am

naturalplastic wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Really? Interesting. That's one trait (associated with autism) that I don't seem to have. In fact when watching TV with mom ..and a famous actress would appear on a ad or in cameo I would nonchalantly say "that's so and so". Mom would say it is "NOT so and so, are you crazy?". But then she would stare at the screen, and then say "OMG! You're RIGHT! It IS so and so. I'm not used to seeing her done up that way." So apparently I must be pretty good at faces -especially if they are attractive members of the opposite sex.

you may be one of the fortunate ones with that particular kind of "right stuff." my mom never forgot a face and had a gorgon stare when there were bad people around. you couldn't get anything past her. i wish i inherited some of that presence of mind. both my folks were eagle of eye.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 3:10 am

For about 4 years, I kept introducing myself to the same woman. She ended up being fed up with me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 3:15 am

^^^i wouldn't have the nerve to introduce myself to anybody. so in my eyes that is heroic what you did :wtg: :hail:

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 3:19 am

auntblabby wrote:
^^^i wouldn't have the nerve to introduce myself to anybody. so in my eyes that is heroic what you did :wtg: :hail:

thank you. that is a nice positive spin :D .

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 3:21 am

justkillingtime wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

thank you. that is a nice positive spin :D .

prego :flower: there are many things i'd rather do than introduce myself to another person.