Have I wasted my life for not going to concerts ?

Page 2 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 5:55 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
That's pretty major.....because you're IN a book :wink:

I could easily say I live "In My Music". I actually debated that when I joined WP.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 5:57 pm

Music is a big part of me, too.

I always have a song in my head.....almost constantly.

It's not a sophisticated taste, though-----it's more like rock, folk rock, bubble gum, psychedelic....stuff from the 50s to 70s mostly. With some 80s.....like "Men Without Hats" who had that medieval video with the people doing the Morris Dance.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 5:59 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Music is a big part of me, too.

I always have a song in my head.....almost constantly.

It's not a sophisticated taste, though-----it's more like rock, folk rock, bubble gum, psychedelic....stuff from the 50s to 70s mostly. With some 80s.....like "Men Without Hats" who had that medieval video with the people doing the Morris Dance.

As you know I'll go to the ends of the earth to see a band I love. Concerts are one of the main things I'll splurge on.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 6:01 pm

I never cared for concerts, for some reason.

I liked it when I went to a Gordon Lightfoot concert once about 1980. It wasn't loud.

Even a Melanie concert I went to about 1983 was loud. And I like Melanie (she's the one who did the roller skate song).

I like it when there's a person who plays something like an accordion, like Allen Ginsberg did when I went to one of his readings (Ginsberg was an as*hole, though).

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 6:06 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I never cared for concerts, for some reason.

I liked it when I went to a Gordon Lightfoot concert once about 1980. It wasn't loud.

Even a Melanie concert I went to about 1983 was loud. And I like Melanie (she's the one who did the roller skate song).

I like it when there's a person who plays something like an accordion, like Allen Ginsberg did when I went to one of his readings (Ginsberg was an as*hole, though).

Maybe I'm comfortable with live music since I started so young. I was only 13 -14 when I started going to shows with my brother, so it's always been a part of who I am. If I hadn't gone until adulthood I might have been more anxious, or over-thought potential issues.

Edit: The OP mentioned 'clubs and parties' as well ... I wouldn't go to a dance club or a party to save my life. I'd just go to anonymous and in my case 'indoor' concerts.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 6:14 pm

One time, I went to this club which specialized in some eclectic things. I had to walk out pretty soon after I walked in because I started having an asthma attack. It was a sensory thing.

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2019, 8:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes, he was! I met him and actually spoke to him. He thought quite highly of himself. Couldn't make eye contact. Maybe he was aspie!

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 2:48 am

AlanMooresBeard wrote:
Have you ever thought about going to a concert by yourself if nobody else you know is interested in going? I’ve been to dozens of shows on my own that I would otherwise have missed out on and I still had a good time despite being on my own.

hurtloam wrote:
I go by myself to concerts. You can't talk to anyone anyway when the music is loud.

I'm so jealous. I would love to see Pearl Jam.

Yes, go to more concerts! I highly recommend it. There's nothing quite like live music.

The only thing that puts me off going to them, at least in the UK, is when men piss in bottles and then throw it. I would be incredibly upset if one if them landed on me.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 3:14 am

I've been to 4 concerts. Saw the Strawbs twice in 1972/1973, Mahavishnu orchestra in 1974 and Joan Armatrading 1975/1976(Can't remember which)

harry12345
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jul 2019, 6:58 am

firemonkey wrote:
I've been to 4 concerts. Saw the Strawbs twice in 1972/1973, Mahavishnu orchestra in 1974 and Joan Armatrading 1975/1976(Can't remember which)

Was Wakeman on the keyboards at the Strawbs concert? Or had he left by then and joined Yes?

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 8:50 am

Allbymyself wrote:
To me personally concert seem like an awful time because you're packed in there like sardines can't really see much of anything if you didn't buy a really good tickets just to get me be a small little glimpse of your singer live singing the song that you like. No thank you I'd rather use YouTube for that.

Last concert I went to was in Vegas the guy from Poison was doing a live show down on Fremont Street for free by the time I got there it was so packed in every person I accidentally bumped into seem to want to start a fight over the fact that I accidentally bumped into them and everybody was testy and Moody. So I finally just said f it in left Fremont and went somewhere else I didn't bother with staying for the show. I could listen to every rose has its thorns on YouTube.

A few years ago, he (Vince Neil) was doing a free concert at an amusement park that I sometimes visit. I talked some friends into going and we paid an extra fee of $20/each to be in the upfront reserved section. We were literally six feet away from the stage. He sang pretty well for his age, but could not last the entire set. So he took a break during the middle of the concert. The other musicians started playing Led Zeppelin songs that the majority of the under 30 crowd did not know, as they could not sing along when asked to. Sad. Overall, it was ok. I prepared for the loud sound by buying beeswax plugs for my ears. I was glad I did. My friends had some hearing issues after the concert for some time because it was really that loud. I could feel the compression from the speakers in my chest from the location we were at and had to move back a bit because of it. Otherwise, we could have been the very front of the stage.

The best concert I have attended was a Sammy Haggar/David Lee Roth double header in 2001. I won tickets to it by calling into a local radio station. Other members of Van Halen were there, just not the two Van Halen brothers. Sammy was great, David not so much. He should have given up on jumping/high kicks by then, but no he was still attempting to do them, while drunk. Not a good combination to see. The two singers will not tour together again, so I was glad to see them that once. I would pay to see Sammy again in concert, but he never seems to tour near me when I can get away from work.

dyadiccounterpoint
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2019, 8:51 am

I used to feel insecure about this. I was obsessed with music and my instrument as a teenager, and I craved to go out to these shows but couldn't because of isolation from urban centers and lack of financial ability to attend.

Eventually I got a taste of it when a cousin took me to a concert, and I also eventually spent a few nights in bars with music playing. I found that I didn't much care for it, I think for social reasons. I also hate feeling trapped after you get tired halfway through their set and just want to leave.

Being on stage myself, however, is quite different. I love to perform and get quite a high from it. I rarely share my performance or compositions anymore, though. I grow increasingly towards withholding this. Perfectionism and social antipathy contributes to that, I think.

We seldom realize, for example, that our most private thoughts and emotions are not actually our own. For we think in terms of languages and images which we did not invent, but which were given to us by our society - Alan Watts

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jul 2019, 4:15 pm

smudge wrote:
The only thing that puts me off going to them, at least in the UK, is when men piss in bottles and then throw it. I would be incredibly upset if one if them landed on me.

That only really happens at rock/metal shows and even then, it’s more likely that any cup thrown into the crowd contains leftover beer than piss! Don’t let that put you off going to a concert. The chances of you being on the receiving end of a piss filled cup or bottle is very slim. At a jazz or classical show, there’s no chance whatsoever of anything like that happening.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 5:45 pm

What sort of music do you write, Dyad?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 5:50 pm

QuantumChemist wrote:
The best concert I have attended was a Sammy Haggar/David Lee Roth double header in 2001. Other members of Van Halen were there, just not the two Van Halen brothers. Sammy was great, David not so much.

That's too bad Dave wasn't in fine form. I've seen the original VH band several times starting in the 80s with the Diver Down tour, up to 2012 with Wolfgang on bass. Dave and Eddie have always been phenomenal. I would never want to see Sammy.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 5:52 pm

Been to two pop concerts in early 1980s...Dire Straits and Ah-Hah....lots of young teenagers screaming...noise was an issue and I couldn't hear the music...but good experience of mob mentality and group think...teeanage girl hysteria

The best concert was one I didn't have tickets. I sat outside the stadium and listened to was Pink Floyd in the late 1970s. The speakers were so loud I could still happily listen without being inside. Concerts I wished I could have attended was Glastonbury and David Bowie.

The only concert I have been to in the last 30 years is Andrie Rieu, lots of fun and I was probably the youngest person in attendance :lol: