Feeling empathy for inanimate objects

Page 4 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 8:53 pm

I've deliberately destroyed or thrown away inanimate objects, so I must be a mass murderer.

I've also abandoned them by giving them away when I lost interest in them.

I've also severely neglected them, letting them just sit and gather dust.

Or cruelly packed them into plastic bags and storage bins, where they're cramped and deprived of oxygen.

I really am a monster. :(

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

25 Sep 2019, 10:21 pm

i hadda kill me a mouse once. it made me feel so bad, i wrote this little mouse murder missive-

i had to kill little mousey
i'm a big heel, feeling lousy
it was pooping and peeing all over the place
this wasn't something i could allow apace
so i put out a peanut-butter-laced trap
which in the wee hours stomped out its crap
in the morning i awoke, got up and saw
mouse doo doo, a dead tail, a dead paw
protruding from the machinery of mouse death
god help me, i'm an extinguisher of mouse breath

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 5:52 am

When I was in elementary school, I felt empathy for inanimate objects. I think this stems from watching cartoons and if you're taking time to catch up to everybody else mind-wise, this thinking may spill into your adulthood. It will eventually stop until you fall in love with a car, of course.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2019, 9:15 am

If I can use words I understand better as empathy is a word I am struggling to understand.

I do feel that some objects have personalities which I treat like... I treat them like friends. I know I should not do it, but I take care of them and I try not to hurt them. I did well in mountain bike racing as I looked after my bikes by "Reading the road" and shifting my body weight to act as suspension and also so I don't have too much force on delicate parts.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2019, 10:34 am

Empathy for inaminate objects?

Trains and Mitsi and bikes...

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 2:46 pm

Last week I bought a weighted blanket in a shop. It was on clearance and marked down twice. I love it, but I wish it was a little bit wider because it's only 48" wide.

After a couple of sleeps with the first blanket, I found a wider weighted blanket online and ordered it. I was planning to compare them and return one of them after a few days, depending which I liked better.

As soon as I ordered that second blanket I started to feel guilty. I didn't want to hurt the feelings of Blanket #1 by comparing him, or possibly rejecting him against a competitor. The poor thing was already on clearance and reduced twice. For all I know, someone already bought and returned him before I brought him home from the shop. I couldn't tolerate the idea of returning him to clearance, for a third mark-down / rejection in the shop. I was almost in tears thinking of how sad the poor thing would feel.

Within about two hours I felt so sorry for Blanket #1 that I cancelled the online order and decided I had to keep him.

:heart:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 3:09 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Last week I bought a weighted blanket in a shop. It was on clearance and marked down twice. I love it, but I wish it was a little bit wider because it's only 48" wide.

After a couple of sleeps with the first blanket, I found a wider weighted blanket online and ordered it. I was planning to compare them and return one of them after a few days, depending which I liked better.

As soon as I ordered that second blanket I started to feel guilty. I didn't want to hurt the feelings of Blanket #1 by comparing him, or possibly rejecting him against a competitor. The poor thing was already on clearance and reduced twice. For all I know, someone already bought and returned him before I brought him home from the shop. I couldn't tolerate the idea of returning him to clearance, for a third mark-down / rejection in the shop. I was almost in tears thinking of how sad the poor thing would feel.

Within about two hours I felt so sorry for Blanket #1 that I cancelled the online order and decided I had to keep him.

Awww! You sound so much like me. I can't think of examples at the moment but I often fall to pieces if I see something that needs rescueing.. Something that I have to try to save.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 4:47 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I can totally relate to it! I don't use the weight blankets but in a hypothetical case if I used them, I would feel the exact thing you did. I guess the more likely scenario would be that I would keep both blankets -- I tend to be a clutterer. But if I was more money conscious and had to refuse one of them, I would have made the choice you did.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 4:55 pm

QFT wrote:
I can totally relate to it! I don't use the weight blankets but in a hypothetical case if I used them, I would feel the exact thing you did. I guess the more likely scenario would be that I would keep both blankets -- I tend to be a clutterer. But if I was more money conscious and had to refuse one of them, I would have made the choice you did.

I thought about keeping both if I liked the second one ... but why?

I kept thinking, "The poor guy is only 48" wide but thinks he isn't good enough. He was reduced in price twice already, and none of the others in the shop were on clearance. He tries so hard to be a good blanket ... " :(

I also realised that a wider blanket would be useless, because the given weight would be distributed out to the edges and it
wouldn't even touch me when I slept. The weight would be resting on my mattress instead of on me!

48" is perfect after all.

Now I just need to name him.

QFT
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 5:02 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
QFT wrote:

I thought about keeping both if I liked the second one ... but why?

I kept thinking, "The poor guy is only 48" wide but thinks he isn't good enough. He was reduced in price twice already, and none of the others in the shop were on clearance. He tries so hard to be a good blanket ... " :(

I also realised that a wider blanket would be useless, because the given weight would be distributed out to the edges and it
wouldn't even touch me when I slept. The weight would be resting on my mattress instead of on me!

48" is perfect after all.

Now I just need to name him.

I was just thinking that the blanket might not cover the entire body. Thats why I was going to suggest to use the second one and keep the first one as someone to feed and care for. But other than that I totally agree with your attitude.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 5:07 pm

QFT wrote:

I was just thinking that the blanket might not cover the entire body. Thats why I was going to suggest to use the second one and keep the first one as someone to feed and care for. But other than that I totally agree with your attitude.

It's more than wide enough, since it is heavy and stays put. I don't roll around at all with the weighted blanket. I also use my full-sized duvet over top of it, because I love the puffiness. I highly recommend a weighted blanket if you are at all curious about them. It stopped my recent nightmares and I wake feeling rested for the first time in my life.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 5:13 pm

My youngest brother was really funny. As he got older, my Mum decided to sort out his toybox, which was a big metal chest that had many of his toys in. She pulled out this sticky gooey stuff from inside at the bottom and said to my brother "What's this?" He paniced and said "Keep that". My Mum asked "What is it?"
"My first chewing gum" he replied.

(I absolutely hate chewing gum. Anyoe who chews it I stay away from... I mean... As long as I am not right by them.. I have been known to leave people by the side of the road after having them leave my car because the refused to spit out their gum! Ok. I did go back when they had spat it out... I am not that cruel... But the smell and the say bubblegum and chewing gum makes me feel. It makes me feel like I am turning inside out! Ewwwww!