Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Amycmcc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2019, 3:32 pm

Spoiler wrote:

Am I the only one who noticed Mary Jane Watson is clearly being cast as autistic in the new Spiderman?
I can't find anyone else taking about it.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2019, 4:30 pm

I came back from the movie Spider-Man: Far From Home a few minutes ago. I thought it was a good flick. I am not sure who Mary Jane is since I haven't read any comic books for over 50 years since my comic book collection was destroyed. But I suspect that you are referring to Zendaya, the main love interest of Peter Parker. She seems like she has some Aspie traits and is probably a good fit for Peter.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 1:53 am

jimmy m wrote:
I came back from the movie Spider-Man: Far From Home a few minutes ago. I thought it was a good flick. I am not sure who Mary Jane is since I haven't read any comic books for over 50 years since my comic book collection was destroyed. But I suspect that you are referring to Zendaya, the main love interest of Peter Parker. She seems like she has some Aspie traits and is probably a good fit for Peter.

I concur. It was a brave move to make the character more ethnically diverse. I couldn't help but notice that they had the actress lose weight since the first movie to fit with the popular standards of beauty. I actually preferred her a little chubby.

Amycmcc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

12 Jul 2019, 10:02 am

Yes, Mary Jane Watson is Peter Parker's love interest. She usually goes by "MJ."

I noticed her behavior was possibly autistic in the beginning, but I thought it became obvious that it was intentional when she was trapped with Happy and the other kids, fighting the drones. She makes a statement about feeling compelled to "tell the truth, even if it hurts people's feelings."