What Different Kinds of Privilege?

Page 6 of 6 [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 10:36 am

Have you heard the saying... "there's always someone worse off at sea"?
... landlubber privilege.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 10:45 am

Trueno -

"There's plenty more fish in the sea"

Landlubber's lack of privilege...

(both can be true at the same time)

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 11:01 am

KT67 wrote:
Trueno -

"There's plenty more fish in the sea"

Landlubber's lack of privilege...

(both can be true at the same time)

:mrgreen:

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 11:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
White privilege.
Covered under "Racial Privilege".

Hey Fnord, here's a little exercise for you...try googling the the term "racial privilege" and see what it comes with?

I understand you are making up this concept to "fit in" to your world view...the fact is white privilege is "global" and trumps whether Tutsis were once upon a time kings or whether Han CHinese look down on Tibetans..or whether Burmese look down on Rohinga,...all the latter are examples of discrimination not privilege

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 3:22 am

Can't get less right wing than me and I think the notion of global white privilege is bs.

Global oppression of people with dark skin is true. In Africa, this looks like the (severe) after effects of colonialism. Also it looks like colourism.

It was better in the 60s and 70s when oppressed groups worked together globally for tangible goals.

'White privilege' when generalised that much really does sound like someone hates someone for having pale skin. We're not going to stop having pale skin. Work against the oppression of people with dark skin instead of working to scapegoat people with pale skin. Better yet, work against the oppression of minorities and occupied peoples regardless of their physical appearances.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 4:10 am

The article's a little old (but then so am I) but it get's the point across
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2003/sep/20/race.uk

This is also a useful to tool to deconstruct your bias
https://www.sbs.com.au/nitv/article/201 ... -privilege

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 6:31 am

KT and Cyberdad I have difficulty with any of these privilege categories being accurate.
I'll suggest another one for the list Fnord, though again it can't be universally applied.
Colonial privilege or what native Americans might call settler privilageRef, it allows for differences in the stereotyped ideas about race?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 6:57 am

Amity wrote:
… Colonial privilege … it allows for differences in the stereotyped ideas about race?
Covered under Racial Privilege.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 7:00 am

cyberdad wrote:
Fnord wrote:
CockneyRebel wrote:
White privilege.
Covered under "Racial Privilege".
Hey Fnord, here's a little exercise for you...try googling the the term "racial privilege" and see what it comes with? I understand you are making up this concept to "fit in" to your world view...the fact is white privilege is "global" and trumps whether Tutsis were once upon a time kings or whether Han CHinese look down on Tibetans..or whether Burmese look down on Rohinga,...all the latter are examples of discrimination not privilege
I "made up" these terms to cover every aspect of each specific category. For instance: "Racial Privilege" covers White Privilege, Black Privilege, Asian Privilege, First-Nations Privilege, et cetera, and at least one race enjoying benefits that at least one other race does not.

Your obsession with Tootsies is irrelevant to me.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 7:06 am

League_Girl wrote:
I believe the word privilege is also used to be dismissive of peoples struggles. Like just because you are able bodied, white, cis, male, straight, you better check your privilege because someone out there has it worse...
Yes, the concept of an intrinsic privilege does seem to be a matter of hypocritically subjective perception -- who is more privileged than who else is dependent on the person pointing out another person's privileges while ignoring their own.

By illuminating the many different ways people enjoy the benefits of their particular 'privileged' status, maybe the rest of the world will finally see that the concept of intrinsic 'privilege' is exactly as you described.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 11:40 am

The trouble is that some of us are questioning it because of nuance/personal history/reading history books and some people are questioning it because it's inconvenient to acknowledge that the majority/settlers have the power. Those are two different things.

I think best explained by 1 how colonialism works and 2 how immigrants from poor nations get treated 3 how people who look different get treated (this is why white power minorities get treated better than others, although the history of anti-Semitism has a lot of obsession with 'this is what Jewish people look like' and I can think of other egs along these lines) and 4 how nomadic people get treated, whether Roma or Pavee or Native American or (historically) Jewish people - if you have a recognised homeland and live in a house you get treated better than if you live in a tent or wagon and/or have no specific homeland.

(my own racism which I want to combat is against Pavee people I never used to have it but I lived near some bad ones and I find it hard to separate their race from their crimes as the conversation is so full of racial prejudice against them, I think it's that the culture has been ruined by lack of opportunities since traditional crafts died out? I know very few settled people who aren't prejudiced against them including other Irish/other Irish diaspora but I've watched documentaries on how they get treated in Ireland as a result of this almost universal prejudice and, nobody belongs on the side of a motorway without running water or electricity)

Not every culture will fit all 4, in fact I don't think any do. But those things are used to hold power over people in an institutionalised way.

I'm not denying that institutionalised racism exists or that some groups hold power over other groups, I'm simply denying that it is the same people who hold the power everywhere and across history.

I also deny that anyone is sitting in a dark room plotting all this which is how it can sometimes come across or that anyone chooses to have privilege. We ought to talk more about it in theoretical terms rather than accusing people of it.