can I be hetrosexual and asexual at the same time?

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

neptunekh
Toucan
Toucan

11 Jul 2019, 12:51 am

Is that possible

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Jul 2019, 2:29 am

It's just a matter of semantics: "heterosexual" would imply a sexual attraction to the opposite sex. While some asexuals don't experience attraction to any sex/gender, others can still be romantically attracted to a sex/gender while simply lacking sexual attraction.

In your case, you would be considered a heteroromantic asexual. You can be attracted to the opposite sex and find a meaningful and romantic but non-sexual relationship with them.

So technically, you can't be both heterosexual and asexual at the same time, but you can still be romantically and platonically attracted to any sex or gender without sexual attraction.

RightGalaxy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 6:55 pm

Yes. I am asexual and heterosexual. I had to learn to enjoy sex. It didn't come natural.

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 11:38 pm

FWIW, I'm straight, and don't have a lot of interest in lovemaking. You are probably normal. Identifying as "Asexual" seems problematic, in my opinion. Shouldn't people identify with something a little bigger than that?

Most people think of heterosexuality more as an animal heat than standard human operating system. Emphasis here on Human. We're not beasts. We can be just fine--and people who don't know this, who are hypersexualized by cultural influence or louche character, tend to mock anyone who is not Just Like Them. But humans do that anyway...

Max1951
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2019, 9:03 am

Borromeo wrote:
FWIW, I'm straight, and don't have a lot of interest in lovemaking.

Why does asexual guy need to state that he is straight? It's sort of redundant. Asexual = sexuality not applicable. Or maybe "not a lot of interest in lovemaking" leaves just a little bit of room for some sort of sexual fulfillment?

Borromeo
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 3:44 pm

Max1951 wrote:
Borromeo wrote:
FWIW, I'm straight, and don't have a lot of interest in lovemaking.

Why does asexual guy need to state that he is straight? It's sort of redundant. Asexual = sexuality not applicable. Or maybe "not a lot of interest in lovemaking" leaves just a little bit of room for some sort of sexual fulfillment?

Maybe because I'm not asexual and suspect that, in many cases, the word "asexual" is used too often for people who are quite happy with a celibate life even when they are straight.

It's another facet to the discussion.

And as I am not married, sexual fulfillment is entirely out of the question. Therefore my lack of interest is actually a valuable asset right now. :D Funny how nature do that.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Jul 2019, 5:52 pm

Max1951 wrote:
Why does asexual guy need to state that he is straight? It's sort of redundant. Asexual = sexuality not applicable.

Because you can be gay or bi and be asexual. Asexuality is simply the lack of sexual attraction. You can still form romantic, non-sexual relationships with any gender. There are plenty of asexuals in same-sex relationships.

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 7:25 pm

Someone can be straight and asexual at the same time, but not heterosexual and asexual at the same time. All heterosexuals are straight. Not all straight people are heterosexual. A straight person can be a heteroromantic asexual.

Asexual people vary. There are people who don't desire to have sex with people, but still masturbate.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2019, 11:16 am

I found a study the other day ("Sexuality in autism: hypersexual and paraphilic behavior in women and men with high-functioning autism spectrum disorder"). Small sample size, but something. Table II might be something of what you are looking for. Table III caught my attention:my husband would like me to be in the 5% (for women), I'm going for the 10% (right now in the 27%, my BFF is in the 50% hetero partner, but "asexual" in practice).