Page 2 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 7:35 am

I always regarded Beeston castle in Cheshire as my "local" castle (before I moved to Yorkshire), but there is a castle in Chester... I overlooked it as it's part of the walls. I've probably been to all the castles in North Wales and the Isle of Man. In England my favourite castle is Warwick... absolutely amazing place, especially if you're interested in the War of the Roses.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

vermontsavant
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 9:05 am

Ive been to Gillette castle in Lyme Connecticut

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 9:38 am

I have been to this one in Las Vegas:

Alterity
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 2:03 pm

Noca wrote:
Dundurn Castle in Hamilton, Ontario and Boldt Castle in the 1000 islands, those are the only ones I have been to.

Dundurn Castle

Boldt Castle and it's island

I've also been to Boldt Castle on Heart island.

The story is sad :(

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

I took these today while I was out on my travels. This castle is free to enter though the gates shut at 1700hrs.

AlanMooresBeard
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jul 2019, 5:18 pm

Trueno wrote:
In England my favourite castle is Warwick... absolutely amazing place, especially if you're interested in the War of the Roses.

Warwick Castle is definitely very impressive. I went there last year and had a great time exploring the castle and learning about its history. I also quite Lewes Castle in Sussex. Although it’s much smaller than Warwick, it’s one of only two surviving examples in England of a motte and Bailey castle that has two mottes. Definitely worth a visit if you happen to be nearby.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 12:52 am

These are the castles that I'd like to visit:

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 4:15 pm

Im so envious of everyone that’s seen a real one.
The closest thing near me and I haven’t even seen it.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/ha- ... stle-ruins

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 4:38 pm

Misslizard wrote:
Im so envious of everyone that’s seen a real one.
The closest thing near me and I haven’t even seen it.
https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/ha- ... stle-ruins

That looks beautiful.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 4:46 pm

The only place I’d really like to travel to is the UK to see the castles and villages but the idea of getting on a plane terrifies me.Haven't flown in ages.You could smoke the last time I flew, it was like a flying cocktail lounge.

Oakling
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 5:12 pm

Pembroke castle in Wales and Corfe Castle in Dorset (England)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 5:21 pm

Misslizard wrote:
The only place I’d really like to travel to is the UK to see the castles and villages but the idea of getting on a plane terrifies me.Haven't flown in ages.You could smoke the last time I flew, it was like a flying cocktail lounge.

One thing I will say about Wales. I have lived here nearly all my life (Apart from brief holiday visits into England and once into Scotland), and I have never run out of places to see in Wales. I have not even explored all the larger more popular castles here in Wales let alone all the smaller ones. Wales is like that. The majority of people living just in my area do not even know there is a rare landmark feature right where they live which I only discovered because I saw an odd square formation on the O.S. map and I went to look what it was (A quarry) and it was then where nearby I found this rare geological feature.
Some people I find wierd. One person lived here all her life and had never been to the next village along from here which is only four miles away and there happens to be an impressive castle at that village too. The village is classed as a town but it is too small to be a town. (Was classed as a town due to the castle in the days when towns were much smaller).

If I had the funds and wanted to, I could drive from village to village and landmark to landmark exploring the UK every day of my life and still have not seen it all,

Here is another example in Wales. I am 47 and have always lived here. A few days ago while out in Mitsi (My car), my Mum and I decided to turn down a little lane which was about 25 miles away from here. We saw a signpost with the name of a village on it. What a picture postcard beautiful place! A short drive of less then half a mile following the narrow lane and we had driven through the village and back in a U type of loop... Back to the origional larger road we were on.
Discovering "Gems" like this is common in Wales.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 5:28 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

One thing I will say about Wales. I have lived here nearly all my life (Apart from brief holiday visits into England and once into Scotland), and I have never run out of places to see in Wales. I have not even explored all the larger more popular castles here in Wales let alone all the smaller ones. Wales is like that. The majority of people living just in my area do not even know there is a rare landmark feature right where they live which I only discovered because I saw an odd square formation on the O.S. map and I went to look what it was (A quarry) and it was then where nearby I found this rare geological feature.
Some people I find wierd. One person lived here all her life and had never been to the next village along from here which is only four miles away and there happens to be an impressive castle at that village too. The village is classed as a town but it is too small to be a town. (Was classed as a town due to the castle in the days when towns were much smaller).

If I had the funds and wanted to, I could drive from village to village and landmark to landmark exploring the UK every day of my life and still have not seen it all,

Here is another example in Wales. I am 47 and have always lived here. A few days ago while out in Mitsi (My car), my Mum and I decided to turn down a little lane which was about 25 miles away from here. We saw a signpost with the name of a village on it. What a picture postcard beautiful place! A short drive of less then half a mile following the narrow lane and we had driven through the village and back in a U type of loop... Back to the origional larger road we were on.
Discovering "Gems" like this is common in Wales.

Sounds wonderful.Everyday could be an adventure.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 5:45 pm

Wales also has another feature. Think of every type of geological mineral found in Wales. It would take the whole of North America to match the same amount of minerals in diversity that Wales has. Wales may not have the minerals in huge volumes, but for some strange reason we seem to have most minerals all in one small country. The Victorians started digging almost everywhere in Wales at one time!
It was only that other countries happened to have more of a single mineral type in one place (So it was easier and cheaper to get at them), that Welsh mining for many of the more diverse minerals ceased.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 6:02 pm

We have a diamond mine open to the public,find one it’s yours.No luck for me, but it was fun.
https://www.arkansasstateparks.com/park ... state-park
There are some old mine shafts up the road from me,zinc was big here for awhile.Also saltpeter was found in some of the caves and used in the Civil war.

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 6:11 pm

Chateau de Cheverny and Chateau du Rivau in France are pretty cool.