Differences between men and women with asperger.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2019, 11:36 pm

plokijuh wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
Aspie women just come off as strong, cool characters.

I think I disagree here. Most of the late diagnosed, high functioning women I know IRL don't really have it together any more than male aspies, we're just dismissed as being irrational/oversensitive/not trying hard enough. Everyone I've known in my life could see something was up, but no one would have thought it was autism. There are real difficulties, others can see there is a struggle, but it's misunderstood.

I think a better example of an aspie woman would be Amelie, esp the Broadway musical version. Odd, misunderstood but fascinating character.

My favourite fictitious (identified) autistic character is the woman in Please Stand By. I really like that film. It doesn't sugarcoat reality.

Not that an aspie woman can't be a cool, strong character. I just don't think that's what they generally look like.

Well, let's think about the different 'types' of Aspies.

You have your quirky, artsy, quiet Aspies, like Amelie.

Then you have your female MD-type, whom are serious and highly intellectual.

Then you have your tomboyish ones.

Professor types: serious and kind-of air-headed.

I mean, really, Aspie women can be any type. I was just quickly thinking of those in movies I would identify as Aspies. But I don't really watch TV, nor many movies.

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jul 2019, 11:52 pm

MissMary227 wrote:
plokijuh wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:

I think I disagree here. Most of the late diagnosed, high functioning women I know IRL don't really have it together any more than male aspies, we're just dismissed as being irrational/oversensitive/not trying hard enough. Everyone I've known in my life could see something was up, but no one would have thought it was autism. There are real difficulties, others can see there is a struggle, but it's misunderstood.

I think a better example of an aspie woman would be Amelie, esp the Broadway musical version. Odd, misunderstood but fascinating character.

My favourite fictitious (identified) autistic character is the woman in Please Stand By. I really like that film. It doesn't sugarcoat reality.

Not that an aspie woman can't be a cool, strong character. I just don't think that's what they generally look like.

I mean, really, Aspie women can be any type. I was just quickly thinking of those in movies I would identify as Aspies. But I don't really watch TV, nor many movies.

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood you :D I thought you were saying that either all or most aspie women are very cool etc! Like if you could stereotype aspie women, that's what we're like.

Yes, definitely very much variety. That's one thing I like about wrong planet. It has really changed my assumptions about what aspies look like. Particularly among the guys, who are more varied than I ever gave them credit for.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jul 2019, 11:52 pm

If I'm such a strong, cool person... :x

Then why was I bullied and harassed constantly as a teenager in school?

Why did child psychologists describe me as "confused, disoriented, withdrawn, and has poor peer relations?"

Why did I end up in a home for chronically mentally ill people?

Why was I misdiagnosed with schizophrenia and put on medications that gave me side effects that made me unable to function AT ALL?

You males think we women have is sooooooo easy! BUT WE DON'T!! HALF MY LIFE WAS A WASTE AND I'M A FAILURE WITH NO JOB AND NO LIFE AND I HAVE NOTHING TO LOOK FORWARDS TO!! I'M A 45 YEAR OLD VIRGIN WHO CAN'T DRIVE AND MY OWN MOTHER HAS TO COME TO HOUSECLEAN BECAUSE I'M TO AND LAZY TO DO IT MY SELF AND I GET OVERWHELMED BY THE SMALLEST THINGS I'M NOT COOL AND STRONG AT ALL, I'M A FAT UGLY GROSS FAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIILUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURE!! !! !! !! !! !!

MissMary227
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jul 2019, 11:55 pm

plokijuh wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:
plokijuh wrote:
MissMary227 wrote:

Oh, sorry, I misunderstood you :D I thought you were saying that either all or most aspie women are very cool etc! Like if you could stereotype aspie women, that's what we're like.

Yes, definitely very much variety. That's one thing I like about wrong planet. It has really changed my assumptions about what aspies look like. Particularly among the guys, who are more varied than I ever gave them credit for.

I have been practicing more at noticing fellow Aspiens.

Tonight at the gym I was watching the poker tournament on TV, and one of the guys was totally stereotypical ASD, and super cute lol. Sometimes it's easy to see, but other times not. I think it would be cool to explore why that is.