Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 10:01 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Thanks! How can I emphasize transferable skills if I don't meet the entire checklist?
It is not a checklist. It is a list of examples to support the claim that employers are more interested in what you accomplish than in who you are.
Tim_Tex wrote:
How do I negotiate salaries, especially if I get a position in Seattle?
Provide a brief summary of your accomplishments. For instance, last week I developed a predictive spreadsheet method whereby one could easily determine when certain components should be replaced, based on their actual MTBF rate. This was an accomplishment, not a personal quality -- the difference between winning a race and looking good in a track suit.

What are your accomplishments?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 12:37 pm

How can I convince recruiters that my experience in software A can translate into my ability to utilize software B? In other words, if I have never used software B, but it entails many of the basic concepts of software A, can I still get my foot in the door?

Aside from Java, Excel, SPSS, Access and GIS, all other technologies I have learned have been self-taught. How do I explain that?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 1:33 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
How can I convince recruiters that my experience in software A can translate into my ability to utilize software B? In other words, if I have never used software B, but it entails many of the basic concepts of software A, can I still get my foot in the door? Aside from Java, Excel, SPSS, Access and GIS, all other technologies I have learned have been self-taught. How do I explain that?
One more time: Relate your accomplishments. What have you accomplished with Software A?

Keep in mind that an employer would rather hire an expert in Software B now than wait for an expert in Software A to learn how to use Software B later, so you would be better off to actually learn software B before applying for the job.

Otherwise, you may have to get used to hearing the phrase, "We're not a training school here".

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 1:42 pm

Fnord wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
How can I convince recruiters that my experience in software A can translate into my ability to utilize software B? In other words, if I have never used software B, but it entails many of the basic concepts of software A, can I still get my foot in the door? Aside from Java, Excel, SPSS, Access and GIS, all other technologies I have learned have been self-taught. How do I explain that?
One more time: Relate your accomplishments. What have you accomplished with Software A?

Keep in mind that an employer would rather hire an expert in Software B now than wait for an expert in Software A to learn how to use Software B later, so you would be better off to actually learn software B before applying for the job.

Otherwise, you may have to get used to hearing the phrase, "We're not a training school here".

My scenario is that I have already learned Software B (self-taught, but still learned nonetheless), but have no actual work experience in it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 1:48 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
... I have already learned Software B (self-taught, but still learned nonetheless), but have no actual work experience in it.
Then construct an app in Software B and use it as a demo. That's all I can suggest.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 2:47 pm

Are there any non-tech fields that pay enough money to where I can easily afford housing in Seattle?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Oct 2019, 2:49 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Are there any non-tech fields that pay enough money to where I can easily afford housing in Seattle?
You would have to check the classifieds for Seattle, or engage an employment agency for the same area.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Oct 2019, 3:44 am

The field I am trying to get into is data analytics/data science.