Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

leiselmum
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2019, 4:24 am

I’m a parent of a 22 year-old daughter. She has zero social skills and zero friends. Her boundaries are non existent as I’ve realised my 5 year old grandchild could make my daughter do things she doesn’t want to, and other things I’ve noticed that she is not safe, in the wrong intended

My daughter is going to LEGO club on fridays for 2 hours. There is a guy there who builds brilliant LEGO creations, and he is kind of non verbal, but he has the confidence to try and really doesn’t use his proloqua2go as I would really like to understand him better. His speech is like a one year old, there is a sound but no recognizable start or end for me to predict his words. I get upset with my self as I don’t want him to think I’m rude but I look to the other people to help me out understand what he is trying to say.

He has had a haircut since meeting my daughter, and he wants to get to know her. I’m very protective. Her body language is poor and there are no boundaries that she has for herself. Today he told her she is pretty and she said thank-you. They are trying to organize going to the movies but there would be a disability worker going with. My daughter only really speaks when someone directly asks her a question. She never starts any talking and then it’s brief. I’m slightly panicking, as I know the risk to her for to be abused is higher than for neuroypicals. People who have the wrong intention would learn that in 5 minutes around my daughter that she is an easy target.

I would love for her to have a ‘friend’ things need to proceed with lots of support. She does not know how to express how she feels about most things. If I knew how she felt about anything, I could assist her more, she is a little more expressive on her iPad. I’m stressing out big time. How does this work? She is barely verbal in public and he is with a moderate to severe speech impairment. They told me his words are in his mind, but they don’t come out right. I just needed a platform for my stress. I’m up for any support/ advice. :)

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 7:59 am

Go with her on this movie outing.