Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

plokijuh
Toucan
Toucan

15 Jul 2019, 3:30 am

firemonkey wrote:
plokijuh wrote:
firemonkey wrote:
While the IQ> adaptive functioning gap is acknowledged to quite a degree with ASD, It's not acknowledged to any such degree by professionals if you're just seen to have a mental illness. It's a case of your level of functioning= your level of IQ .

No, Tony Attwood talks about this. He actually says that the gap itself is a big part of the challenge and makes for extra complexity.

That being said, I think Attwood is in a league of his own in terms of understanding the issues.

He's talking about ASD not mental illness? It's only been recently accepted ie Oct 2018 that there might be more going on with me than SMI. Asperger's dx came in May 2019. For 45 years the focus has been on the SMI.

If you're intelligent ,but not functioning as people expect terms like 'lazy','obstructive' and 'passive aggressive ' get thrown around when your problems are just seen as being mental illness related .

My stepdaughter has been much more observant about the discrepancy between how intelligent I am and my daily functioning than any MH professional I've ever seen.

He's talking about ASD specifically. He was talking about women on the spectrum when I heard him say that, but it wasn't restricted to women. He was talking about how often because some people are highly intelligent others misunderstand their high intelligence and expect too much, but that the challenge should be estimated not only on the scores but the size of the gap between the two.

AQ: 42 (Scores in the 33-50 range indicate significant Austistic traits)
RAADS-R: 165
RDOS: Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 44 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 6:22 am

^ +1

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 8:58 am

I brush and floss twice a day, but still have a lot of plaque buildup. My teeth and gums are in good shape, though. I have only had one filling in my life and that was unnecessary. I hate cleanings. That scraper, which bears an uncanny resemblance to an Uzbekistani scimitar, is the worst. The sound of the scraping hurts my ears and the pulling motion makes me feel as though a tooth could come out.

TheOther
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

15 Jul 2019, 11:35 am

I find that if I force myself to do something regularly, I can sort of hack my brain into making it one of my rigid routines.

I use this tactic a lot to try and maintain good regular habits, like bathing, exercise, and eating well.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2019, 6:32 pm

Although I do brush my teeth twice a day, I sometimes brush my teeth after meals if I have a lot of food particles stuck in my teeth. I know that's gross, but I'd rather have clean teeth instead of food stuck in them.

I go to the dentist about every six months for a cleaning.

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

17 Jul 2019, 11:38 am

I brush my teeth a lot. I have only had one filling. I also had all 4 of my wisdom teeth removed but that's because they grew in crooked. Getting a filling was sensory hell for me so I just decided I would rather brush my teeth than get another one. Now I am sort of obsessive about it. I used to not like it

CloudClimber
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 10:57 pm

lots of fillings here... unless I can form a routine then brushing teeth etc. doesn't happen. if that routine is broken just once then I have to start over entirely. :wall: :shrug:

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:58 pm

I can't use fluoride toothpaste. It burns my lips, mouth and tongue and makes me feel like I'm going to throw up. I used nothing but baking soda and water for years and people always were asking me what whitening product I was using.