Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 2:33 pm

High Functioning Autism (HFA) can be characterized by that "caught in the middle" dilemma - that not disabled enough, not able enough!

It's not just doubts surrounding even thoughtful NTs, but doubt on others concerned with HFA, and developmental disabilities more limiting than HFA.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 10:43 am

JustFoundHere wrote:
High Functioning Autism (HFA) can be characterized by that "caught in the middle" dilemma - that not disabled enough, not able enough!

It's not just doubts surrounding even thoughtful NTs, but doubt on others concerned with HFA, and developmental disabilities more limiting than HFA.

Yep. This is why we in the autistic community need to come up with some good self-help programs, for those of us with conditions not severe enough to warrant government support. We can't rely on the psychotherapeutic establishment to solve all our problems either, because there are nowhere near enough therapists who know anything useful about adult autism.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 7:46 pm

Ain't no "happy medium"

This is not "a wrinkle in Time"

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 9:20 pm

shortfatbalduglyman wrote:
Ain't no "happy medium"

This is not "a wrinkle in Time"

Actually, if we can manage to build (with help from some sympathetic NT's) a sufficiently well-organized autistic community, with autistic-friendly workplaces and autistic-friendly social spaces, it is my hope that we can achieve a happy medium -- because many of have not just disabilities, but also abilities, that NT's tend not to have.

DemophobicKlingon
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

15 Jul 2019, 5:58 am

I've felt that caught in the middle thing multiple times.

I do have many friends who are on the spectrum, and a lot of them are great people.

I also have a tendency to notice when other people who are on the spectrum may not pick up on the social rules as much as I do, may be lower in a certain area, and other things. Don't get me wrong, there are people who are proficient in certain areas I am lacking in while I am more proficient in an area they are not. It varies from person to person.

With neurotypicals my age, there is a certain awkwardness, and disconnect. I kind of worry about people seeing me in the areas that I'm lacking. It kind of stinks to be in this limbo. I do have friends, but there's also a sense of rarely truly fitting in anywhere.

INTP 9w1-5w4-2w3 sp/so