Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 11:17 pm

IDK where to post it, but was just wondering who likes hummus, its delicious especially on the naan bread at most grocery stores. Though I would like to figure out how to make that bread myself, instead of having to get it at the store every time. But still hummus an flat bread is like the greatest snack of all that doesn't make you feel like crap after you eat it.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 11:32 pm

It's wonderful stuff, but I've been making my own for the past thirty years now. With that I think store bought hummus is sub par. I will often crave foods that are strong in flavor (very spicy, etc) and when I make my own hummus I use a LOT of fresh garlic, sometimes to the point that it stings the mouth.

Same with refried beans. Ever since I started making my own from dried pinto beans and a pressure cooker I have not been able to nor have I desired to buy it in the can. In fact canned refried beans remind me of the smell of canned dog food and is off putting to me.

Do you make your own hummus? It's so easy to do and so delicious.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 11:38 pm

Magna wrote:
It's wonderful stuff, but I've been making my own for the past thirty years now. With that I think store bought hummus is sub par. I will often crave foods that are strong in flavor (very spicy, etc) and when I make my own hummus I use a LOT of fresh garlic, sometimes to the point that it stings the mouth.

Same with refried beans. Ever since I started making my own from dried pinto beans and a pressure cooker I have not been able to nor have I desired to buy it in the can. In fact canned refried beans remind me of the smell of canned dog food and is off putting to me.

Well I am thinking of trying to make my own, I got a blender and I have heard one can make hummus that way, so I am planning to look into that, then I could even add my own flavors and things. but As for now I have mostly just have gotten prepackaged stuff at the store.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 11:42 pm

Magna wrote:

I want to try and make my own but I have not tried yet...just bought a blender so that might help. I mostly got it s I can try to make icy alcohol drinks but I have heard you can also make hummus in a blender so I do plan to try that, it may not come out great the first time but it would certainly be cheaper to make my own than buy it at the store.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 11:53 pm

I've always used a food processor (Cuisinart) but does your blender have a tamper that you can use to push things down while blending? If not, I'm sure it would work to use a rubber spatula and just blend, stop, spatula, blend, stop, etc.

Try this:

Ingredients list:
1 can of organic chickpeas
Tahini (sesame paste)
Olive Oil
Garlic
Fresh squeezed lemon juice
Sea salt

Drain the chickpeas and rinse them.
Put them in the blender with the juice of a lemon and a pinch of salt
Put in a few tablespoons of olive oil
Start with a tablespoon of tahini
A clove or two of garlic (or to your taste)

Blend. If it's too think you might add a small amount of water or add more olive oil.

See how that goes. That recipe was off the top of my head and is approximate. If you like lemon juice you could certainly add more of that to thin it out but of course it will be tangier.

Give it a try! I think you'll have fun and like your end result.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jul 2019, 11:59 pm

Magna wrote:
I've always used a food processor (Cuisinart) but does your blender have a tamper that you can use to push things down while blending? If not, I'm sure it would work to use a rubber spatula and just blend, stop, spatula, blend, stop, etc.

Try this:

Ingredients list:
1 can of organic chickpeas
Tahini (sesame paste)
Olive Oil
Garlic
Fresh squeezed lemon juice
Sea salt

Drain the chickpeas and rinse them.
Put them in the blender with the juice of a lemon and a pinch of salt
Put in a few tablespoons of olive oil
Start with a tablespoon of tahini
A clove or two of garlic (or to your taste)

Blend. If it's too think you might add a small amount of water or add more olive oil.

See how that goes. That recipe was off the top of my head and is approximate. If you like lemon juice you could certainly add more of that to thin it out but of course it will be tangier.

Give it a try! I think you'll have fun and like your end result.

Well it has various settings it has a puree setting I tried it out with ice cubes and it seemed to grind them up just fine, so I am sure chickpeas would grind up just fine in it. It was one on sale but in the instructions it says you can grind up ice to make drinks so chickpeas should not be a problem if its equipped to grind up solid ice cubes as the chickpeas are much softer.

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 12:03 am

I agree. I think you might soon discover being able to make something great, your own hummus! I hope you try making it.

Redxk
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 3:26 am

My wife makes hummus. I love it with falafel. Next I want to learn to make baba ghanoush.

sadana
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jul 2019, 1:27 pm

Ive had in the hospital and iliked it.but i dont dine it often. idont know where u can get.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 7:52 pm

Hummus is delicious

But not the "greatest"

Tofu
Falafel
Epicurean exotic bean salad
Lasagna
Nutri grain bar.
Tuna salad
String cheese

Depends on what you call "snack" and "meal"

ElsatheAspie1926
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

15 Jul 2019, 5:36 am

Totally agree on this subject. I have just recently discovered the pure magic and versatility of this food. I like making my own hummus, as I like the texture to be slightly thicker than hummus in the store.

I also have been really interested to try out, "weird hummus", recipes. I tested out blueberry hummus recipe the other day, as I am also quite passionate regarding blueberries, but it was a mild disaster. The flavor was fine, but the water separated from the rest of the hummus in storage, turning the hummus almost to a, "jelly", texture.

However, I feel sweet potato hummus could work, as sweet potatoes are much more similar in texture to chickpeas than blueberries are. Worth a try!

Aprilviolets
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 5:16 am

I like hummus I like it as a dip as well as putting it in a salad sandwich.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 8:44 am

I've been making mine for a decade. I crush the cooked beans with a potato masher, add the other ingredients, and then use a single "egg beater" in a power drill to mix the whole concoction. I also use a breadmaker, and add home-grown sprouts.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 8:51 am

Hummus ? Bleargh! :eew:

This thread is offensive to my taste buds :twisted:

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 8:52 am

I used to love it, but became allergic to tahini (sesame). I used to slather it on bread piled with a vegetable stir fry, and a little salad dressing.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 8:21 am

SaveFerris wrote:
Hummus ? Bleargh! :eew:

This thread is offensive to my taste buds :twisted:

I agree. Hummus tastes like a glue (wallpaper paste) to me. Nasty stuff!