"Normal" anxiety or Autistic burnout after graduating?

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

skramle
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jul 2019, 5:34 am

Hello everyone.

While I suppose it may be somewhat rude that my first post on this forum (after having an account for years), is not some kind of "hello" / Introduction, but instead a rather desperate plea for input, i am actually desperate..

My situation is that I have Aspergers + ADD, and I graduated from university at the end of June, and started applying for jobs in the robotics sector early July.

In a startling turn of events I actually got the first job I applied for, and i'm currently in the "Just need to agree on salary and sign the contract" phase.

And this is where things have taken an unfortunate turn..
I'm not remotely excited about having found a job, instead I feel nauseous 24/7, constantly break into tears and have almost completely stopped eating + I constantly feel exhausted.
It feels like I've lost all control of my emotions, and mentally i keep losing track of my thoughts, get caught in these blackout spirals of total panic / fear.

As an "Aspie" i'm well aware of my difficulties with dealing with any kind of changing circumstances, but this somehow feels different / more extreme than anything I've experienced in the past.

So this is my question to you dear people ->
Does this sound like the "usual" anxiety over changing life situations, or is it actually a case of Autistic burnout because I only just finished a long and grueling masters thesis, and then have had no time to adjust to the new circumstances?

I.e, would you recommend that i "push through" and sign the contract and start working, hoping that it is just a matter of adjusting to the new situation, or I am risking pushing myself even deeper over the edge and harming myself in the long run by not pulling the break immediately so to speak?

Thank you to anyone willing to read this rambling, and any insight / experience is deeply appreciated.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

04 Aug 2019, 5:38 pm

I would recommend that you push through & try & do the job to the best of your ability. The job market in general is really rough rite now. It's really great you were able to get the 1st job you applied at. If you were to say take a year off & then start looking for a job, it may be a lot harder to find one since you were out of skewl a while without working. I would also recommend talking to a doc &/or psych about this. Anxiety meds(antidepressants, benzodiazepines, &/or Buspar/Buspirone) might could help hold you together while your starting the job & are adjusting/getting used to things. Talking to a psych might help you figure out why your having the anxiety & maybe help you find better ways to deal with it & other things that could be going on. It's important to make a good impression when 1st starting a job but you need to try & relax & rest when your not at work. Try to put off other things for a while that might stress you out like chores that don't need to be done every day, dealing with family drama & other family obligations.
BTW CONGRATS on getting the job :cheers:

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition