How Being Ugly Can Make You Hot

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 10:34 pm

I suppose I drifted off the topic of ugliness...

old_comedywriter
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 10:49 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Hybristophilia (also known as the Bonnie and Clyde Syndrome) is a form of paraphilia (or perversion) involving sexual attraction to people who have committed some sort of "outrage". The term is usually associated with fans of notorious criminals.

Not to be confused with Hubristophilia. Example: Melania Trump.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 12:37 pm

cyberdad wrote:

Nah I think the video does that itself. It's badly named.

It's more about making a decision to be different than it is natural ugliness.

So basically you get a set of identical twins. One of them follows all the rules on looking good. Looks conventionally attractive. 10/10 but nobody has the guts to approach and everyone thinks it's a joke when they're approached.

The other one makes a decision. Maybe to be a punk, maybe to be a geek, just some sort of an unusual decision about appearance. It splits the viewers. Suddenly people are thinking 'just my type, we have such and such in common' or 'ew why would you do that to yourself'. Either way, they see more than just physical appearance, a sort of personality is manifest onto the person.

The ones who think 'ew' stay away and back off. But they would have done anyway, just this time it's out of disgust rather than feeling intimidated by hotness. The ones who think 'wow we have such and such in common, just my type' or 'just my type that's so unusual' approach or accept approaches more readily. So that becomes more of a filtering system, drawing the right ones near and scaring off the ones who wouldn't be interested.

I've seen this happen a fair bit on a platonic level when I wear my football stuff. I'm sure other people who wear hobby tees have seen this happen at least on a platonic level. It's about signalling a tribe.

Or you can go very weird (doubtful but if anyone can it's aspies) and it will split everyone who sees you into 'wow that's really, really weird' or 'is that the latest trend from the catwalk?'

Prometheus18
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 12:55 pm

I prefer plain women (not exactly ugly), because they've usually got more character, which is what I find attractive.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 6:28 pm

KT67 wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

Nah I think the video does that itself. It's badly named.

It's more about making a decision to be different than it is natural ugliness.

So basically you get a set of identical twins. One of them follows all the rules on looking good. Looks conventionally attractive. 10/10 but nobody has the guts to approach and everyone thinks it's a joke when they're approached.

The other one makes a decision. Maybe to be a punk, maybe to be a geek, just some sort of an unusual decision about appearance. It splits the viewers. Suddenly people are thinking 'just my type, we have such and such in common' or 'ew why would you do that to yourself'. Either way, they see more than just physical appearance, a sort of personality is manifest onto the person.

The ones who think 'ew' stay away and back off. But they would have done anyway, just this time it's out of disgust rather than feeling intimidated by hotness. The ones who think 'wow we have such and such in common, just my type' or 'just my type that's so unusual' approach or accept approaches more readily. So that becomes more of a filtering system, drawing the right ones near and scaring off the ones who wouldn't be interested.

I think that's valid as identical twins are known to have different personalities or that one chooses to dress differently different and emphasise a particular aspect of their personality to contrast from their twin. Another aspect of mindset/personality is that one twin might not be so into clothes/appearance and let themselves go physically. There are very attractive people who are simply overweight and that's enough to illicit the "eww" reaction you were alluding to.