Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

ConverseFan
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

14 Jul 2019, 9:06 pm

I have sensory issues with my clothing. I try to dress as comfortably as possible. I wear a lot of jeans and t shirts with the tags cut out. I cant stand the itchiness. I'm also incontinent which causes sensory issues with diapers.

I also wear a lot of converse because they are super comfy on my feet. I can stim with my feet easier. I like to play with the laces too. I feel fidgety a lot. I sometimes get sensory issues with shoes altogether and I take them off

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 9:13 pm

I absolutely despise wool clothing (makes me itch like crazy), tags on the back of shirts (which I always cut off), and seams in socks (I always wear my socks inside-out).

#palestinianlivesmatter

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 9:13 pm

I also have sensory issues with clothing and especially tags. I have to buy T-shirts that are tagless. I wear boxers and have to turn them inside out because it's smoother on the outside of the band than the inside and if I wear them the way they're supposed to be worn the band imprints uncomfortably on my skin over the course of the day. Even on my button up shirts I remove the tags on the inside of the collars stitch by stitch with one of those sewing stitch ripper tools.

I also refuse to wear knit shirts, regardless of what the penalty would be. I'm talking about the kinds of shirts that men typically wear to golf, etc. Tucked or untucked (but especially tucked), knit shirts if I was forced to wear one, would make me shutdown. The clingy feeling is awful. T-shirts are a kind of knit shirt, but I have to wear something over a T-shirt. I do not, for example, wear just a T-shirt and jeans or shorts out somewhere.

Last edited by Magna on 14 Jul 2019, 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 9:18 pm

I have to wear clothes that are a couple sizes too big as tight clingy clothes is Sensory Hell! I don't understand how people can go about in skin-tight clothing. There skin must hate them!

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 9:26 pm

I agree. When I see men wearing short sleeved knit shirts that are tucked into their pants/shorts, I can't convey how uncomfortable those shirts have made me feel the few times I've worn them. I don't have a big paunch or "beer gut" like many middle aged guys have, but when I see guys that do have a paunch that's spilling over their waistband and their knit tucked in shirts are so clingy that you can see the indentation of the man's belly button, it gives me the willies and sometimes I shudder because I think of the skin tight clingy feeling.

Austinfrom1995
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 9:34 pm

Magna wrote:
I agree. When I see men wearing short sleeved knit shirts that are tucked into their pants/shorts, I can't convey how uncomfortable those shirts have made me feel the few times I've worn them. I don't have a big paunch or "beer gut" like many middle aged guys have, but when I see guys that do have a paunch that's spilling over their waistband and their knit tucked in shirts are so clingy that you can see the indentation of the man's belly button, it gives me the willies and sometimes I shudder because I think of the skin tight clingy feeling.

And you see these kids running around in jeans so skinny they look like pretzel sticks, their thighs must be screaming! >.< How can you wear something so clingy?!

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 9:36 pm

I can't wear wool. I can over other clothes but not on my bare skin. I can't wear wool socks either. I also don't like pants loose around my bottom, they need to fit. I don't like pants hanging below my waist either, the crotch needs to be cloth to my crotch, not have them hanging.

Other than that I don't have many sensory issues with clothing thankfully.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

PurpleReject
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jul 2019, 10:20 pm

Boxers. I tried wearing them once when I was a pre-teen and it drove me crazy as soon as I put pants on. I can't wear anything that's not tighty-whities. Can't do jeans that are thick, either; has to be thin denim, the kind that partially stretch; they're skinny but they breathe and they're comfy. Only cotton tees, it feels awful to do polyester or silk or whatever.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2019, 10:25 pm

Turtleneck sweaters make me feel as if I'm choking.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 2:49 am

I'm much like others here. I cut out labels and avoid anything too clingy or scratchy. No turtleneck sweaters. No big seams in socks. I hate the slimy texture of synthetic fabrics. What's next to my skin has to be natural, breathable and comfortable.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 3:54 am

In my case, I'm just super tolerant to many things. Almost no major issues or what so ever.
Mainly because I cannot afford most of my sensory preferences, let alone needs... I could only do what I'm pretty much allowed to do, and have only what I could only have.

I'd want something light, because I can feel weight. Preferably long, I don't like being exposed.
Loose or breathable, but tight enough to be secured. Something soft and smooth, yes but not too thin or I'd feel too exposed.
No tags, no seems. The color must not be very loud. But this is more on preferences than needs... More a plus than a must.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2019, 8:07 am

Although most forms of wool are very itchy. There is one form that is not. It is called Merino Wool. The main advantage of using wool is because of its warmth in very cold environments.