Do you feel like a piece of u is missing because of Aspegers

Page 3 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:24 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Absolutely. It's sort of like I don't know what it is I'm missing, but I'm cognizant enough to know I'm missing something. I wonder what it would be like to be "turned-on" and experience a whole other side of life, the world, my senses, etc.

i briefly had a taste of NT-world when i was on Strattera. there are other spectrumites who swear by the Nootropics [the "racitams"] that are presently legal to self-experiment with.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:30 am

auntblabby wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Absolutely. It's sort of like I don't know what it is I'm missing, but I'm cognizant enough to know I'm missing something. I wonder what it would be like to be "turned-on" and experience a whole other side of life, the world, my senses, etc.

i briefly had a taste of NT-world when i was on Strattera. there are other spectrumites who swear by the Nootropics [the "racitams"] that are presently legal to self-experiment with.

Was Strattera Rx-only, or over-the-counter for anyone to use? May I ask, why did you stop using it? ...perhaps you didn't like what you saw or what you became...

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:36 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Absolutely.

It's sort of like I don't know what it is I'm missing, but I'm cognizant enough to know I'm missing something. I wonder what it would be like to be "turned-on" and experience a whole other side of life, the world, my senses, etc.

Lol if you want to have senses don't be NT. They can sense hardly anything. That's why they're ok with over-seasoned food, over-lit buildings, everything too loud etc. They need it.

It would be nice to have everything at the same level as everyone else though so I could indulge in those things without it being painful or sickening.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:40 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:

Was Strattera Rx-only, or over-the-counter for anyone to use? May I ask, why did you stop using it? ...perhaps you didn't like what you saw or what you became...

nossir, it is most definitely script-only, and expensive if one's insurance won't cover it [only cadillac plans cover it, btw], i would have had to pay $20/capsule if i kept on, so i had to go off it cold turkey. it had two side fx i could think of, it made willy ooze precum all the time, and it gave me GERD somewhat fiercely. i wish it were OTC, though, despite those two things. it was like a cloud lifted and everything was calmer and clearer and brighter and sharper. it didn't immediately come on like that, it took about a week then i definitely noticed a lot less drama in my life. of course the standard "your mileage may vary" disclaimer applies here.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
nossir, it is most definitely script-only, and expensive if one's insurance won't cover it [only cadillac plans cover it, btw], i would have had to pay $20/capsule if i kept on, so i had to go off it cold turkey. it had two side fx i could think of, it made willy ooze precum all the time, and it gave me GERD somewhat fiercely. i wish it were OTC, though, despite those two things. it was like a cloud lifted and everything was calmer and clearer and brighter and sharper. it didn't immediately come on like that, it took about a week then i definitely noticed a lot less drama in my life. of course the standard "your mileage may vary" disclaimer applies here.

How long were you on it? From what you describe, it sounds like a sedative/relaxant with some setbacks. Or did it make social engagement easier? Or perhaps you were more elated, so the regular set-backs didn't seem as bothersome.

Ever try any of those nootropics?

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:52 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
Absolutely.

It's sort of like I don't know what it is I'm missing, but I'm cognizant enough to know I'm missing something. I wonder what it would be like to be "turned-on" and experience a whole other side of life, the world, my senses, etc.

I know what was like to be 'switched-on'. Without any drugs or anything special involved. It happened to me by sheer luck on few occasions. Usually waking up like this.
It's like comparing a whiny child with issues from a cool-headed professional -- got several witnesses and accounts to prove that it wasn't imagined or a dream.

You don't become 'NT', you don't even become closer to 'NT'. You don't end up seeing ways of the world as any NT do. But it is certain that you will become more functional.
If anything, brought me to a level awareness that are beyond the norm. That the NT's world is just too small and too suffocating and you can see everything they're doing as if you're watching others from an bird's eye of view.

You become super fast, super perceptive. To stood out in a good way instead of the crap ones.
Just imagine autism without co-morbids, without being overwhelmed, without being distracted, to be able to see the 'forest/s and it's trees' at the same time, because you can overpower any 'curse' that autism brings.

In my case, better than being NT. Able to perform better than NT. Socialize better than NT. Able to overpower NTs and their system within certain spaces. I can do more than just being sociable, I can manipulate social spaces and hack their so-called hierarchy.
There are no masking involved, no need to mind to blend in -- only whim, intuition, and logic as a navigator. And most of all, I'm in control.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:56 am

...Maybe :| .

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 2:02 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

How long were you on it? From what you describe, it sounds like a sedative/relaxant with some setbacks. Or did it make social engagement easier? Or perhaps you were more elated, so the regular set-backs didn't seem as bothersome. Ever try any of those nootropics?

about a year before joe insurance said he wasn't payin' for any more. it was most definitely NOT sedating but it enabled me for the first time in my life to be both relaxed yet alert at the same time, a condition most NT folks take for granted but was surely a welcome novelty in my life at that point. for the first and only time in my life i felt subjectively "normal." never worked up the courage to try any of the racitams. not enough is known about them for me to deem it prudent now for my own long-sufferin' gray matter. need more data.

ezbzbfcg2
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 2:09 am

auntblabby wrote:
it was most definitely NOT sedating but it enabled me for the first time in my life to be both relaxed yet alert at the same time, a condition most NT folks take for granted but was surely a welcome novelty in my life at that point.

This sounds like a Godsend.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 2:13 am

ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
it was most definitely NOT sedating but it enabled me for the first time in my life to be both relaxed yet alert at the same time, a condition most NT folks take for granted but was surely a welcome novelty in my life at that point.

this again is a "your mileage may vary" kinda thing, in that i also have ADHD inattentive subtype, for which the lions' share of the benefit prolly went. i was not at the time yet dx'ed with AS, so i lack data regarding its effectiveness for that condition alone, i only know that FOR ME it definitely worked. and the drug is expensive and i am not sure atomoxetine [generic form] is yet available here in amuuurica.

CloudClimber
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 2:22 am

auntblabby wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

this again is a "your mileage may vary" kinda thing, in that i also have ADHD inattentive subtype, for which the lions' share of the benefit prolly went. i was not at the time yet dx'ed with AS, so i lack data regarding its effectiveness for that condition alone, i only know that FOR ME it definitely worked. and the drug is expensive and i am not sure atomoxetine [generic form] is yet available here in amuuurica.

I was going to tell you what I take but I actually don't even remember what it is - tried like 15 different things before I ended up on the right one 8O also adhd inattentive for which I take generic focalin and if I don't take it I forget stuff and get the dropsies and basically have no idea whats going on :roll:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 2:55 am

CloudClimber wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ezbzbfcg2 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I was going to tell you what I take but I actually don't even remember what it is - tried like 15 different things before I ended up on the right one 8O also adhd inattentive for which I take generic focalin and if I don't take it I forget stuff and get the dropsies and basically have no idea whats going on :roll:

mr shrink first had me on a stimulating tri-cyclic antidepressant, which made me hot and sweaty. then after 2 years when it stopped working, put me on concerta [methylphenidate, timed-release] which made me lose 20# [good! :D ] but made me perpetually cross [very bad :x ], and i couldn't handle it after a year, then was on the strattera just about at the time i was dx'ed as on the spectrum. living out in the sticks and being out of the rat race took away the need for me to have a normally-functioning noodle, IOW i can be addled and nobody really cares out here.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 3:08 am

I realize I'm different than other people. Maybe I am even different in such a way that I lack something that NT people have. However, even knowing this I don't feel like part of me is missing.

Even if I'm weird relative to others, I still feel like I am 100% myself.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 5:37 am

Fern wrote:
I realize I'm different than other people. Maybe I am even different in such a way that I lack something that NT people have. However, even knowing this I don't feel like part of me is missing.

Even if I'm weird relative to others, I still feel like I am 100% myself.

I agree with this. And I think the idea of missing something also comes from living in a society designed for NTs, where they hold themselves up as the standard. If things were reversed, many of them may wonder why they can't have more in-depth interests, and feel they have something missing.

JD12345
Toucan
Toucan

18 Jul 2019, 6:46 am

Significant social communication skills, but that's a fairly common answer to this kind of question.

Somewhat less common is hand-eye coordination difficulties. I feel that, if I could play tennis, ride a bike, swim, play golf, play football etc then it would have provided me with a useful 'escape' during my teenage years.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 7:04 am

JD12345 wrote:
Significant social communication skills, but that's a fairly common answer to this kind of question.

Somewhat less common is hand-eye coordination difficulties. I feel that, if I could play tennis, ride a bike, swim, play golf, play football etc then it would have provided me with a useful 'escape' during my teenage years.

Yeah if I didn't separate my autism and my dyspraxia I'd have bits missing because of my autism, for sure.