What were the old days of this forum like?

Page 1 of 5 [ 72 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

StayFrosty
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 1:52 am

I've noticed this forum has been around for a long time. I've seen threads on here from over 10 years ago. With forums i'm one of those guys that sits on a bench in the city watching people. I'm also curious about the ones that don't post on WrongPlanet any longer.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:08 am

I've been reading the forum since 2011 and a member since 2012

Back then there was lots of angst over the impending release of DSMV and the changes in diagnosis. People thought they would have to stop calling themselves Aspies :lol:

Lot of posters who hated the idea of being lumped with "autism" (for whatever reason, they seemed to have mostly vanished)

Another thing was Obama was president and there were lots of right wing gun types on this forum. Now that Trump won the 2016 election all their dreams came true....

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:26 am

It was a lot more active.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:29 am

Well we are here :D

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:30 am

Back in 2005/6 there was a lot more drama and a lot more posts. A bunch of aspies from WP are on FaceBook now.

Also, The_Face_Of_Boo used to absolutely hate me, and I, him.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:32 am

Boo's still here on the dating forum

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:37 am

I didn't imply he left.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 2:39 am

I know..,.he just posted something to me

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 3:40 am

Back when I joined in 2013 there was less self hate, less “I will be forever be a loser” thinking.

In 2014 the site went through a phase of a lot of resentment of the self diagnosed and self identified “aspie”. There would be three or four concurrent threads based on the premise that those people were ableist towards the low functioning, used “aspie” to excuse bad behaviors, and people who had a factitious disorders, or some combination of the previous.

It was much more active.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 3:52 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
In 2014 the site went through a phase of a lot of resentment of the self diagnosed and self identified “aspie”.

Yep I certainly remember that...

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 5:05 am

I've been a regular member since 2010, and I'm still posting my life away today. I can't ever see me leaving. I bet I'll still be posting here when I'm an old lady in a care home. :lol:

I've just got attached to this site. It's where I can step out of the NT world and post my thoughts and feelings. I don't hardly talk about my Asperger's in real life, so that's why I come here to get it off my chest. Sometimes I rant, other times I post something positive. I also like reading what other people post and I give advice if I can. I worry that I post too many posts, and that I've been here too long, and that one day I might break the record of "longest member with the most posts".

Anyway, to answer the question, back when I first started, the forum was more active. I even remember when submitting a post a message sometimes came up saying "there are too many posters at once and the site can't handle the load" or something like that. Hasn't happened for about 6 years or more now. But each day, in the GAD, there used to be a whole lot of new threads to look at. Now it's usually very little or no new threads each day at all.

You'd have thought me being here for 9 years I'd run out of new things to post about. That's not true. People talk and have conversations all their lives and still find new material to talk about, not to mention life updates. Life changes all the time, so do your opinions, so I will never run low on things to post about.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 7:26 am

More people were here years ago.

Pound for pound there was probably as much vitriol back then as now, if not more. And the same subforums (PPR, Current Events, and especially Dating) were the hotspots for vitriol as now.

There were more gun nuts back then.

Christian Fundamentalists were more into throwing down the gauntlet and trying to argue with the mainstream to disprove Evolution, and to "scientifically" prove Young Earth Creationism. But that has pretty much gone out of style among Fundies, not only on WP, but also on U Tube, and in the culture in general. YECs have pretty much given up on even pretending to be scientific.

There was one notable from the opposite side of the political spectrum: a professional SJW (before the term was current), who would start threads about things like how upset and offended he was about "the racism" and "hypocrisy" of society for allowing them to put that cute American Indian girl on the box of Land'o'Lakes butter. He managed to get liberals and conservatives on WP united...against HIM. Lol!

Actually quite a few lunatic fringers have come and gone on WP. One guy was a Holocaust denier. Then he left. But a couple years later returned. But denied ever having been a Holocaust denier (until someone dredged up some old posts of his). Though this same guy denied having been a Holocaust denier, he was (in this second incarnation) a modern Flat Earther. After starting many flat earth threads, he finally got cornered in debate, and denied "really being a flat earther", and then.. disappeared from the site again.

There was an old guy, who was both a Jew and an Atheist, who would having running debates with a certain young guy, who was a Jew-for-Jesus Fundy. Both were arch conservatives. Those two would duke it out like prize fighters.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 7:57 am

naturalplastic, remember those two women who were very anti-men? Not entirely misandrist, but very pro-feminism to the extreme. There were huge threads they created and a lot of aggro back then.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 8:01 am

I know who you mean.

Both absolutely detested men...thought all men were potential rapists.

They were banned at about the same time.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 8:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I know who you mean.

Both absolutely detested men...thought all men were potential rapists.

They were banned at about the same time.

Ah yes, that was what it was about. I thought that idea was completely mad. I think now, remembering that, that the description of misandrists fitted them both perfectly.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 8:10 am

smudge wrote:
naturalplastic, remember those two women who were very anti-men? Not entirely misandrist, but very pro-feminism to the extreme. There were huge threads they created and a lot of aggro back then.

Well yeah.

There was that one young lady. Cant recall her name, who was very strident. Who would get into fights (both with other women, and with men). She was probably one of the ladies you're thinking of.

Dox47 got REALLY upset with her ( he was usually rather even tempered).

I posted something on dating , and she just tore into me about my supposedly "badly observed observations". I was talking about things like how males are more intense in their sexuality ( like about how women hafta worry about men raping them, but men don't hafta worry about women raping men). Most WPers agreed with me, but she didn't.

Silly me. I guess I should start carrying a stun gun to keep you ladies from ravishing me! :lol:

But she vanished after a while.

==================

From looking at the above responses to your post --- I must be thinking about someone else. you're talking about someone who thought ALL men were rapists. The person I am thinking of was too much the opposite...I don't knw what she thought...that women were no different from men in any way...ergo that women are also all potential rapists! Lol!

Last edited by naturalplastic on 17 Jul 2019, 8:16 am, edited 1 time in total.