An uneven cognitive profile and fragile self worth

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 7:31 pm

Results in swinging between "I'm intelligent" and "I'm really dumb" .

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 7:33 pm

same :(

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 7:44 pm

Same... I just think we're all smart in different ways. My sonhas talents much different than mine.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 8:39 pm

I have always called myself "book smart and life dumb." I'm working to correct this problem.

SharonB
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 10:01 pm

Exactly.

I'm at the onset of awareness, so a few steps (or miles/kilometers) behind you.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2019, 11:16 pm

There was so much unpredictable fluctuations in an already uneven profile, sometimes I don't care anymore. :skull:

Quote:
5 days ago, had a really good mood yet my stomach's upset and got bad sleep. Except I ended up bugging a lot of people that day yet they had fun.
4 days ago, I was super irritable and got dragged off by some people to do their papers for them. Did the job yet it involved a lot of yelling.
3 days ago, my head hurts a lot and I keep sneezing and I sleep a lot, and I stumbled a lot and made a lot of mess out of confusion and done nothing. The weather was the usual, ate nothing unusual, slept as usual, etc.
2 days ago, the house was crowded and it was raining, so I never left the room and did a lot of projects. And I was overwhelmed.
Yesterday, I was so distracted I went and procrastinate all day and done nothing productive.
Today, I'm very less irritable despite the headaches and able to focus and handle people somewhat.

And so on, and so on... There's no real pattern. Only spawning and de-spawning cycles that has varying and unlabeled expiration dates.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 2:41 am

I have long thought of myself as "a deep thinker, but not a quick thinker."

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 3:11 am

All the above... same here.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 5:15 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
I have long thought of myself as "a deep thinker, but not a quick thinker."

I'm erratic ie: Image

Test Name: Digit Symbol Substitution
Basic Protocol?: Yes
Mobile Version Available?: Yes
Primary Domains: processing speed, visual short term memory
Demo Link: http://www.testmybrain.org/tests/DigSymbCoding/DSC.html
Psychometrics: Excellent
Time (minutes): 2.9
Description of Test: Using a symbol-number key shown on screen, match as many symbols and
numbers as possible in 90 seconds .

Yet I get through those 50 questions in 12 minutes Wonderlic like tests ok.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 9:12 am

I have a good memory for facts, dates, names and the like, but I have trouble with mechanical objects. If people knew how inept I was at certain things, they would think I was a complete idiot and would never believe I could do anything. How did this person get a Master's Degree in English when she has trouble opening doors? How can she drive? Play tennis? Write well when other small tasks she does with her hands make her look like a klutz?

Nydcat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2019, 4:59 pm

Don't take those online test too seriously, they tend to be inaccurate. I took one, just to see, and it was completely wrong.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 7:06 pm

^ Some are and some aren't .

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 8:08 pm

Your retail value as a human being has nothing to do with your intelligence

:mrgreen:

Nydcat
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2019, 8:28 pm

From what I can see, it's a clone from the wais IV's coding subtest. That and the symbol search determines your processing speed.That one tests your short therm memory and your ability to shift attention. It's worth noting that about 75% of aspergers will have problems with attention. You should try one that tests your linear processing speed, you could be surprised.

But it's very common for us to have discrepancies in our cognitive profile. I have a 79 point difference between my best and worst score.

More explanation on the wais IV
https://www.janebrownevaluations.com/us ... ure%20.pdf

Also you can read more on asperger's and attention problems in the complete guide to asperger's page 244.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2019, 3:38 am

Nydcat wrote:
Don't take those online test too seriously, they tend to be inaccurate. I took one, just to see, and it was completely wrong.

There was a time when there was an aptitude test when I was in high school. The whole high school class had to take it.

The result? My verbal ability, an area of my delayed development, is at 99th percentile. The rest was 95th to 50th percentile. My known 'strengths' were at 95th to 70th.
So what happened back there?? :lol: Dunno, except I just start laughing at it because it's just absurd.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Kalyke
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jul 2019, 8:14 am

I mistrust most tests because they are all based on deviance from the norm and the norm is what shifts. One example is that what defines "intelligence" or even "skill" has changed over time and will never be an actual stable point. A good example is the shift of the US republican party from center to right, making right more center (same as the Democrats moving more left), so the center point is migrating farther from actual center, while those people within these parties think it is perfectly rational to consider (central/normal) an ideology that would have been considered "radical" years ago.

Long ago when I was a kid, math or science took up less time and was considered less important to success than it is now, and so a very intelligent person of that time frame may have been lousy at math or science, and that would mean someone showing high aptitude at math or science of that time would have been considered sub-normal or Mediocre today. (However, I must add on the math side that the ability to calculate accurately without a calculator or computer (often a slide rule or less) was the mark of high aptitude.

And I guess the moral of this story is that you can't compare yourself with others, past, present, maybe even future because the comparison points will always change.

Ego is a separate issue. Maybe focus on the good places and those places where you can make continual progress? I am trying to learn the IPA right now so that I can be a better linguist. I figure one year of focus will be involved. Right now I consider myself at a basic level, in a year I will consider myself much better (or fantastic, who knows). So your ego also shifts. The center will shift. When you are good at something you will see your need to get even better.