Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 12:19 pm

What exactly does change nickname do?

I wanted to change this name cos it's going to look out of date and I know it won't bother anyone else but it will bother me.

Can't change username but I thought I could change name on the site to TUF67 or something?

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:19 pm

I've yet to find anyone on this site who actually knows what the 'nickname' feature is for. I'm wondering how much it matters - the only name visible on your 'viewing profile' is 'KT67' and any 'nickname' details are presumably confined to your private details in the User Control Panel.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:24 pm

DeepHour wrote:
I've yet to find anyone on this site who actually knows what the 'nickname' feature is for. I'm wondering how much it matters - the only name visible on your 'viewing profile' is 'KT67' and any 'nickname' details are presumably confined to your private details in the User Control Panel.

Exactly what I mean. I want to change it so it's not KT67 anymore.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:30 pm

Sorry, I misunderstood you. :)

blackicmenace
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:41 pm

KT67 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

You will always be TUF to some of us. Not sure if that matters or not.

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 1:58 pm

blackicmenace wrote:
KT67 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

Yeah I don't think it matters as much as I'm making out, it's mostly just I'll be sad when he goes. People might start asking if I support Arsenal.

Nostalgia is a thing, though. My fangirling's mostly about season 16-17 anyway, which is already past.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 3:21 pm

Yeah, my username is too masculine, I wish I could change it to Jo90.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jul 2019, 7:40 pm

KT67 wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
KT67 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

Yeah I don't think it matters as much as I'm making out, it's mostly just I'll be sad when he goes. People might start asking if I support Arsenal.

Nostalgia is a thing, though. My fangirling's mostly about season 16-17 anyway, which is already past.

KT is a gooner , KT is a gooner :P

I don't think anyone who knows what you are on about is in any doubt of your loyalties.

Hypocrisy is the greatest luxury. Raise the double standard

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Jul 2019, 7:47 pm

DeepHour wrote:
The nickname feature is a feature that has never worked. It does nothing. Perhaps it'll work after alex upgrades the forum software again or the feature may be removed. The only way an SN can be changed on this site is to create a new account & tell a mod so they can ban your old one. Each member is only allowed one account.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 10:36 am

SaveFerris wrote:
KT67 wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
KT67 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

I don't think anyone who knows what you are on about is in any doubt of your loyalties.

Is he? First I've heard... :P

Yeah, Joe, I'm not surprised it is quite a masculine name. It's annoying we can't change our names...

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 2:12 pm

The username and nickname system on here is a bit of a mess. Members have to select both a username and a nickname when they sign up, but, as nick007 pointed out above, the 'nickname' seems redundant, although one can apparently change it. My nickname was the same as my username, but I've now changed it to 'Hour Deep', just to see what happens (presumably nothing).

Another weird thing is that it says in the 'Your Profile' section 'Your username cannot be changed', but it also says under 'Edit Account Settings':

To change your password, your email address, or your username, you must enter your current password.

:?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

20 Jul 2019, 12:51 pm

DeepHour wrote:
TMy nickname was the same as my username, but I've now changed it to 'Hour Deep', just to see what happens (presumably nothing).
It still shows as DeepHour next to your posts & when I click on your profile. I was a member here before the forum software was updated & it didn't have the nickname part. We didn't have to put anything in that field after the forum software was updated thou some(perhaps even many) tried & found it was completely pointless.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

KT67
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2019, 7:04 am

SaveFerris wrote:
KT67 wrote:
blackicmenace wrote:
KT67 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

He isn't :D :P

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2019, 7:47 pm

KT67 wrote:
DeepHour wrote:

I did that a year or two ago. I just logged out one day and then signed back up under a new name. The old name is still there.

The reason was that there was someone else here with the same username and writing style as someone from another site. For my own privacy, I switched from a username I used on the other site as well to one that I only use here.

I'm thinking of switching to something really off the wall for the other site.