Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2019, 9:52 am

Does anyone else find themselves a bit overwhelmed when it comes to crossing roads? Even at traffic lights?

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 10:03 am

Olivia_H wrote:
Does anyone else find themselves a bit overwhelmed when it comes to crossing roads? Even at traffic lights?

When walking across busy intersections here in NYC, yes.

Even at non-busy intersections, I need to keep my attention focused on watching out for possible approaching vehicles.

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2019, 10:09 am

It's almost as if I have to keep looking left and right, just in case that within the half a second it took to look the other way a car has decided to creep up on me.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 4:50 pm

Not me. Not even at my overwhelmed and exhausted state that I'd get any issues with crossing the road or the road itself.

And it's not exactly easy to me to get overwhelmed and exhausted on the road. More so on public roads and when alone.

I'd imagine that the Western and Northern roads are more paved, relatively less traffic, with more signs and are stricter to follow. In order words, more orderly than where I live.
And from where I live, not only traffic is rampant on main cities, but one had to jaywalk to get by even in accident prone areas because there are no signs nor even a hint of a pedestrian lane.

Oh, and we have more motorcycles than cars. And the weather may or may not be too hot or too rainy even for the accustomed ones.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Zakatar
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 7:33 pm

I haven't had issues crossing roads since early high school.

#palestinianlivesmatter

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jul 2019, 8:06 pm

Yes I hate how impatient some drivers act

boating_taxonomist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Jul 2019, 6:35 am

I hate when cars don't indicate, or try to be kind by letting you cross. It makes is so much harder to predict what they're going to do.

Generally I only cross at crossings with lights, or I wait for the road to be completely clear. I don't trust my ability to judge speed and distance to decide if it's safe to cross otherwise.

I've been thinking about learning to drive (which I haven't done/really needed to thus far) but I wonder if the fact that I find something simple like crossing the road quite difficult, means my spatial skills are not up to scratch enough for driving.

Olivia_H
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Jul 2019, 9:28 am

boating_taxonomist wrote:
I hate when cars don't indicate, or try to be kind by letting you cross. It makes is so much harder to predict what they're going to do.

Generally I only cross at crossings with lights, or I wait for the road to be completely clear. I don't trust my ability to judge speed and distance to decide if it's safe to cross otherwise.

I've been thinking about learning to drive (which I haven't done/really needed to thus far) but I wonder if the fact that I find something simple like crossing the road quite difficult, means my spatial skills are not up to scratch enough for driving.

I think I feel similarly. It's almost as if I think a car is going at a reasonable speed but turns out they're going really fast. I do think that it's that I don't trust myself.