Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 9:43 am

Trueno wrote:
The pointed stick sharpener... without which the pointed stick would not have been possible.
Stone Tools: Axe-heads, hammers, knives, spear points ... these may have all come later (debatable), as you can sharpen a stick by rubbing it against just about any rough rock.

"Ogg drag stick on ground. See pointy end. Drag more stick on ground. Get tired. Pick up rock. Sit down. Make many pointy stick. Now Ogg new name 'Pointy-Stick-Man'. Good name."

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Trueno
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 10:18 am

I was thinking something more like an enormous pencil sharpener with maybe a flint wedged in it or something. It must have been sooo Neanderthal to drag your stick along the ground.

Unkind tongue, right ill hast thou me rendered
For such desert to do me wreak and shame

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 2:03 pm

Trueno wrote:
I was thinking something more like an enormous pencil sharpener with maybe a flint wedged in it or something. It must have been sooo Neanderthal to drag your stick along the ground.

you're overthinking it.

Somebody just broke a chip of a rock, and there it was …. a hard sharp blade.

And then they used the blade to sharpen a stick like we would use a pen knife to sharpen a pencil.

Then they use the sharp stick to whatever (stab game, or stab an enemy human).

Simple, but it changed the world.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:09 pm

naturalplastic wrote:

...until they met the guy who figured out that just throwing the rocks was much more effective.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:14 pm

Leonardo Da Vinci's inventions (LINK) are often at the top of the list of best inventions before the 1800s.

LINK: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Science_a ... _invention

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:16 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
...until they met the guy who figured out that just throwing the rocks was much more effective.
... and the next guy who figured out that a thickly-woven lattice of reeds could stop most thrown rocks, while a well-thrown spear would pass right through the other guy's shield and stop the rocks from being thrown.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:18 pm

Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
... and the next guy who figured out that a thickly-woven lattice of reeds could stop most thrown rocks, while a well-thrown spear would pass right through the other guy's shield and stop the rocks from being thrown.

...and thus the arms-race began.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:23 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 5:30 pm

Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
I do not know what World War Three will be fought with, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones.

Einstein was nothing if not insightful. But the arms-race will more than likely just start over from there, because:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 7:19 pm

Ol' Uncle Albert was a very wise man.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 7:27 pm

Fnord wrote:

After reading his commentary about how great and generous America is and how horrible Europe is I bet he'd be singing a different tune now if he could see what our country has become today.

The Spades teach us to conquer all we claim.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 7:34 pm

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:
After reading his commentary about how great and generous America is and how horrible Europe is I bet he'd be singing a different tune now if he could see what our country has become today.
It depends. He was a Jew, and current sentiment against Jews is increasing in Europe, due to the influx of Muslim refugees from Africa and the Middle East.

Here in the U.S., while there are citizens who express hate-filled and ignorant bigotry against Jews, Israel, and Zionism in general, Jews themselves are still welcome.

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 7:40 pm

Fnord wrote:
TheRevengeofTW1ZTY wrote:
Fnord wrote:
It depends. He was a Jew, and current sentiment against Jews is increasing in Europe, due to the influx of Muslim refugees from Africa and the Middle East.

Here in the U.S., while there are citizens who express hate-filled and ignorant bigotry against Jews, Israel, and Zionism in general, Jews themselves are still welcome.

Yup. But Islamophobia is all good here. We love to rape and torture Muslim POWs over in the middle east and take photographs of it don't we? :roll:

TheRevengeofTW1ZTY
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2019, 7:49 pm

Damn, I'm derailing another topic. I'm sorry. :oops:

Um another great invention... electricity! :D

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 2:42 am

Wolfram87 wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

Throwing a heavy rock is not more efficient.Its less efficient.

the point is that long before even Neanderthals early hominids had "core stones"- big rocks that they could smack with hammer stones to easily knap off flakes - the flakes being useful ready made sharp cutting blades. Blades to butcher meat, or to sharpen sticks, or to chop veggies.

Last edited by naturalplastic on 25 Jul 2019, 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2019, 3:05 am

I said effective, not efficient. And I meant specifically in terms of combat effectiveness. A pointy stick will probably make nastier wounds, but superior range is a big advantage.